• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk 6mm BRX vs. 6mm Dasher

Dasher brass is expensive I’d buy something that you don’t have trouble getting and that you don’t have to either hydroform or fire form

Norma Dasher Brass is no more expensive than any other Quality Brass. I anneal after every firing and have 13 firings on my Dasher brass. primer pockets are still tight. 32.5 Varget, 107 moly coated 2922 fps.

Hey guys,

I know I'm opening a can of worms with this one... but every forum thread I see talking about 6br variants has people swearing their variant is best without providing any convincing evidence as to why. I've spoke with some good shooters that give some pretty good arguments for both. For those of you that run a 6 BRX or a 6 Dasher, especially if you have personal experience with both, why did you choose what you did?

I am currently running a 22 BR. It shoots lights out and has almost no recoil. Just gets kinda squirrely out past 1000-1100 yards and tough to see my trace/impacts. I'd like to move something just a little more "well rounded" while staying in the br variants. I don't want to run either of the mentioned cartridges super fast. I'd be happy around the 2800 to 2850 range with the 115 dtacs, perhaps a little faster if I choose to run the 105's. I'm willing to fire-form but will probably just buy a hydro-forming die.

The longer I look into this, the more I am beginning to believe that it doesn't matter whether you run the BRA, BRX, Dasher, or even the standard BR. Hopefully you guys will have some good insights to help me find the advantages to one over the other.

Overthinking it..

There isnt enough difference between any of the BR variants to even justify this conversation. And that includes the 22BR.

You aren't going to get better performance, better splash, better anything at 1100 yards with a 6BR variant than you get from the 22BR.

The 22BR with an 88 gr ELDM at 1100 yards going 2995fps (the load on my rifle) in a 10mph full value crosser looks like this..

It requires 8.6mils elevation, 2.2mils of wind, and generates 414ftlbs of energy on target.

A Dasher/BRA at 1100 yards shooting a 105gr Berger Hybrid at 2900fps in the same wind looks like this.

It requires 9.1mils of elevation, 2.3mils of wind, and delivers 483ftlbs of energy on target.

There's no measurable gain there. 60ftlbs of energy is not going to create a splash you can see versus not see on the 22BR.

Pushing a DTAC around 2800 will get you more energy on target, but it's not going to translate in the real world to more splash. The 22 doesnt make much splash, neither does the 6mm..

You're not giving anything up by using a 22BR versus a 6mm BR variant.

Reactions: Geno C.
Overthinking it..

There isnt enough difference between any of the BR variants to even justify this conversation. And that includes the 22BR.

You aren't going to get better performance, better splash, better anything at 1100 yards with a 6BR variant than you get from the 22BR.

The 22BR with an 88 gr ELDM at 1100 yards going 2995fps (the load on my rifle) in a 10mph full value crosser looks like this..

It requires 8.6mils elevation, 2.2mils of wind, and generates 414ftlbs of energy on target.

A Dasher/BRA at 1100 yards shooting a 105gr Berger Hybrid at 2900fps in the same wind looks like this.

It requires 9.1mils of elevation, 2.3mils of wind, and delivers 483ftlbs of energy on target.

There's no measurable gain there. 60ftlbs of energy is not going to create a splash you can see versus not see on the 22BR.

Pushing a DTAC around 2800 will get you more energy on target, but it's not going to translate in the real world to more splash. The 22 doesnt make much splash, neither does the 6mm..

You're not giving anything up by using a 22BR versus a 6mm BR variant.
But go 22 dasher or brx and get 3150ish. Every little bit adds up

But go 22 dasher or brx and get 3150ish. Every little bit adds up

Oh I agree!!

The 22 caliber is an amazing little rabbit hole to go tumbling down these days...

Why stop at a 22 Dasher? How about a 22GT? Or even more horsepower, the 22 Creedmoor pushing a 95gr SMK at 3150fps?

That 95gr Sierra has the same BC and bullet length as the 6mm 109gr Berger Hybrid. The same BC as the 115gr DTAC. That could quite likely be the softest shooting high performance caliber you could run and still be under PRS speed limits.

I had a 6 BRBS a 6BR IMP, a little more blow out than the Dasher, Great round. I sold it to build a Bat action 1000yd gun. My gunsmith at the time got Bob Crone's BRX reamer, I had him punch my Hall action 6BR to 6BRX. It shot great. Then he built the Bat in 6BRX. I shot 3 IBS 600 records, one was a 0.749" LG small group, At that time only 3 people had fired a group less than 1" with a light gun at 600 yds. I am not going to change to a Dasher from a 6BRX. But nothing wrong with a Dasher. I think the difference is in the barrel you get, some brrels are better than others in all brands, sometimes you get a Hummer. All custom barrels are good, sometimes you get a great one.

Yep.

I'm digging the 6BRA but my Dasher barrel has shot real good for me this year also. Have several barrels for both and have shot both in lots of matches.

Practical differences IMO are:

6 BRA - easier fireforming with less chance of messing up the brass. Non-issue if you buy hydro brass.
6 BRA - long neck means bullet is for sure going to be forward of the neck shoulder junction. No issues with donuts (which can happen).
Dasher/BRX - 50 fps advantage over BRA at "safe pressure" however you define that
6BR - 50 fps disadvantage from 6BRA

My take is that I've settled on the 105's over the heavier DTACs having tried both. I like the lighter recoil of the lighter bullet and the hybrids have been more consistently accurate for me. I think the question is one of bullet speed. I kinda like a 105 somewhere around 2900 fps, maybe a touch faster. My 27" Dasher has a nice node at 2940fps and my 27.5" 6BRA shoots awesome at 2920 fps. To me they are equal enough that I choose which one to run based on which one I have brass ready to load for.

I kinda feel like the 6BR ends up just slow enough at 2850ish that it gives up a touch of energy and wind on those really far targets, and also starts to get into transonic a bit sooner. I shoot out west though so we have more far targets and more wind than other parts of the country. If I shot in the southeast I might just shoot straight 6BR and call it done.

Anyhow, long winded way of saying "no wrong answer".
Great answer.

Hey guys,

I know I'm opening a can of worms with this one... but every forum thread I see talking about 6br variants has people swearing their variant is best without providing any convincing evidence as to why. I've spoke with some good shooters that give some pretty good arguments for both. For those of you that run a 6 BRX or a 6 Dasher, especially if you have personal experience with both, why did you choose what you did?

I am currently running a 22 BR. It shoots lights out and has almost no recoil. Just gets kinda squirrely out past 1000-1100 yards and tough to see my trace/impacts. I'd like to move something just a little more "well rounded" while staying in the br variants. I don't want to run either of the mentioned cartridges super fast. I'd be happy around the 2800 to 2850 range with the 115 dtacs, perhaps a little faster if I choose to run the 105's. I'm willing to fire-form but will probably just buy a hydro-forming die.

The longer I look into this, the more I am beginning to believe that it doesn't matter whether you run the BRA, BRX, Dasher, or even the standard BR. Hopefully you guys will have some good insights to help me find the advantages to one over the other.
Im in the same position now.Im wanting to cut back on powder.Ive been shooting 6.5PRC and 300 PRC. With powder /primers & bullets expensive and scarce I want to shoot something more economical. I have a 6mm ARC AR15 with Shilen barrel that shoots great for a gas gun. Since I have brass,bullets and dies Im leaning toward the ARC.