• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm in a ar15 platform

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
Here is what I am thinking. I would like to build a AR15 in a 6MM. Which are the best performing 6mm cartridge that works in the AR15. Not really looking to build a AR10. I will be using this rifle for a local precision longrange tactical match. I will have to have 6mm caliber so I can compete in the open class not the light tactical. Also a nother reason for this choice is that I have a M4 type rifle. So I would just have rebarel cost.

6mmAR would be my suggestion. However, will need different magazines and bolt. I'd go +2" gas system and 22" bbl length.

6 Hager (reamer, gauges, brass, magazines, etc. from Creedmoor) is an option. Again, I'd go +2" gas system and 22" bbl length.

6mmAR with 105gr Bergers

This. As soon as my KAC LPR sells I am having Hawk Hill Customs build me a 6mmAR with a 26" barrel. I've seen one of the guys down there's rifle and after a little research on the round I had to have one. They make their own barrels in house and are saying 2900fps with the 105 hybrid. I'd suggest giving them a call, they can build you an upper or just make you a barrel.

26" barrel on an AR? Will you be using this off the bench?
I just got a 6mmAR reamer in and having had a chance to chamber a barrel yet, but love the grendel round. I also have a 6WOA and it shoots very nice. Mine are for predator hunting and not long range shooting though.

I am thinking 6mm is the way to go so I can still compete in the open class and not the light tactical I will also have a can on the barrel so would you still want a 22" barrel or a 20" barrel?

my 6MM AR is plain crazy accurate to 984yds so far, won a lot of bets with that little AR15. Recoil is negligible, brass last a long time and my best load is right out of the 6MMAR website. What is not to love
cheers

26" barrel on an AR? Will you be using this off the bench?

No, it will be used for DMR matches with a lot of positional shooting. The barrel profile they use combined with the lancer carbon handguard makes for a very light and well balanced rifle. The only downside is length and it's not any longer than my 26" barrel bolt gun I run at matches.

This. As soon as my KAC LPR sells I am having Hawk Hill Customs build me a 6mmAR with a 26" barrel. I've seen one of the guys down there's rifle and after a little research on the round I had to have one. They make their own barrels in house and are saying 2900fps with the 105 hybrid. I'd suggest giving them a call, they can build you an upper or just make you a barrel.

2900fps is really pushing the cartridge, and I'm talking about the 6mmART40 version. Mine was a 26". There was a node right in the 2850 -2875 fps range with 105 amax which was a warm load. I used H-4895 because it is temp insensitive but still a top performer concerning FPS.

Darn it, these 6mmAR threads make me want one again.

2900fps is really pushing the cartridge, and I'm talking about the 6mmART40 version. Mine was a 26". There was a node right in the 2850 -2875 fps range with 105 amax which was a warm load. I used H-4895 because it is temp insensitive but still a top performer concerning FPS.

Darn it, these 6mmAR threads make me want one again.

That's with the 105 hybrid, they tend to run a bit faster with the same charge than Amax's do.

Wasn't dogging you on the 26" barrel, its just not common to see one in an AR. I would disagree though that it would be well balanced, even 24" barrels are top heavy. Good luck and show some pics when you get it all done.

No, it will be used for DMR matches with a lot of positional shooting. The barrel profile they use combined with the lancer carbon handguard makes for a very light and well balanced rifle. The only downside is length and it's not any longer than my 26" barrel bolt gun I run at matches.

Anyone using 6br/brx on ar15?

I think we sold 48 BRX's last fall and maybe another 50 custom Krieger barrels over the last 5-6 years. 95smks at 3200fps, 105s have a node at 3050fps. The thing is a 15 round PRI 6.8 mag only holds 10-11 cartridges.

Wasn't dogging you on the 26" barrel, its just not common to see one in an AR. I would disagree though that it would be well balanced, even 24" barrels are top heavy. Good luck and show some pics when you get it all done.

I had one they built in my hands a couple weeks ago. It was better balanced than my KAC LPR and with optics was lighter. It looks like they are contouring the barrels about .780 before the gas block and .750 after it. That combined with the lancer hand guard that has pretty much no weight forward of the barrel nut assembly is why it's so light in the front and balanced. I'd be skeptical too had I not had it in my hands. I've had 24-26" AR uppers before with fat barrels and regular aluminum and he's they were very front heavy and unbalanced.

I think we sold 48 BRX's last fall and maybe another 50 custom Krieger barrels over the last 5-6 years. 95smks at 3200fps, 105s have a node at 3050fps. The thing is a 15 round PRI 6.8 mag only holds 10-11 cartridges.

Where can i buy complete upper or barrel?

The batch of 105 Hornady's I have shoot pretty good at about 2975. The old lot would shoot great at 3050, but that's about all I could get out of them. The 95s will run an honest 3200 though with lots of N550.

6mm in a ar15 platform

What's a simple easy 6mm to do as far as brass prep, loading, and brass availability? Don't want to neck turn or ream. Prefer load and shoot or just a single pass through a die.

What's a simple easy 6mm to do as far as brass prep, loading, and brass availability? Don't want to neck turn or ream. Prefer load and shoot or just a single pass through a die.

6mmAR, 6x6.8, or 6x45. Size down in the 6mmAR from Grendel brass, down in the 6x6.8 from 6.8 or up in the 6x45 from 223 brass, that's it. After that load and shoot. No fire forming or neck turning.

6mmAR, 6x6.8, or 6x45. Size down in the 6mmAR from Grendel brass, down in the 6x6.8 from 6.8 or up in the 6x45 from 223 brass, that's it. After that load and shoot. No fire forming or neck turning.

Black Hole makes all three of the above though they chamber a 243LBC vs the 6mmAR. I have shot all of them at extended ranges. I think the 6X6.8 is the way to go because of brass availability and a bit more reliability. I would go with a barrel company that can deliver as promised and has consistent production standards. Chambering them for several years with proven results is also a major plus.

Greg