• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm rounds in 20" bbl rifles? Like to see/hear about build and results

6.5BR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
LA
Any 6mm rounds - CM, 47, XC, 243, 6mm, etc. Tell us about the specs and how they shoot, pics would be great too!

Seems there is some potential esp. in fast twist bbls to have a compact, mild recoiling, flat shooting, bug hole rifle. I believe at least one person here has a 243 running 115 DTACs IIRC at good speeds. Also, interested in powder choice, load info if possible, and Chrony results.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
yeah I've been interested in this too yet I've only seen a couple, and the only one I remember is some dudes 6br with a 16in bbl thats straight contour and carbon fiber wrapped in an xlr chassis

4350 would likely be your best bet for getting speed and accuracy. With a 115 you can likely get 2800 fps plus depending on what your gun likes, which really doesn't gain you anything over a 6.5 save a little recoil. Better BC, Likely same speed, and better barrel life would make me go with a 6.5, and I run 6 Creed most of the time so I'm not biased to anything.

I sent my Remington 700 VLS to Russell at Scout Supply Co for them to shorten the barrel to 16.5". It is a factory 1-9.125" twist barrel. I am planning on shooting 87gr VMax's through it. I hope to have it back by the end of the month.

Last edited:
Im doing a 22" 6x47 for my main match rifle. I know not 20 but I will keep updated. 22" prob 40-80 fps better than a 20". Hoping for 2900 ish with the 105's. And going to use Varget. Prob be loading hot. Thinking 2k rounds would be about it for barrel life. But inside 600 yds...lookout.

DT

I too am interested. problem with 6br is the feeding reliably. I'm leaning toward 243 due to cheaper components. Lemme know what y'all think shooting the 87s

I don't have any 20's, but have an XC and a BRX each finished at 22''. Both shoot 105 hybrids very well. BRX is at 2875 and XC is at 2950. Both are about near the upper limit in terms of pressure.

Thanks again. IF the industry would mfg 8 twisted 243s, esp heavy barrels....I digress. Hard to believe all the 260 shooters here, and Rem won't make a heavy in it either, properly twisted of course.

Im doing a 22" 6x47 for my main match rifle. I know not 20 but I will keep updated. 22" prob 40-80 fps better than a 20". Hoping for 2900 ish with the 105's. And going to use Varget. Prob be loading hot. Thinking 2k rounds would be about it for barrel life. But inside 600 yds...lookout.

DT

Just a little update - got my 22" 6x47 back from smith last week and shot it in the Las Vegas Precision Match this past weekend. Had a top 5 finish shooting the 105's at 2920 with 35.7 gr Varget.

Very accurate (1/2" groups at 200 yds) with almost no recoil and VERY handy going in and out of the various ports we shot. Also, balances very well right at the mag.

I wont go over 22" again for a match rifle.

Regards,
DT

Just about to put one together at Spartan....20" 6 Creedmoor...will prob be another couple weeks, but will post results asap. Going with a Bartlein Rem. Varm in a 90% MCS-T. Should be a pretty handy little rig....

I have a 20" 243 that I love. Its nice and handy, doesn't have a brake, but recoil is mild and it can easily get to 1k. I'm pushing the berger 105's at just over 2900 fps with 41 grains of H4350 (going off memory there for the load data so... fyi). I could push it harder but I'm on my 10th reload on the same brass and have annealed the necks once. I'm running Lapua brass in it and that stuff is always a pleasure to work with.

Keep telling yourselves the 6mm br doesnt repeat well. Over 6000 rnds thru two diffrent rifles and they havent missed a beat. 105 berger in a 20" barrel at 2730 fps. They drive tacs. One rifle has over 4000 rnds and still shoot great to 1000.

My Remington model 7 was a 6mm Rem from the factory. Was super accurate even with the crappy little 18" pencil barrel but only for about 1500 rounds. Would have loved to rebarrel it with a varmint contour but the low round count made me go 308. Wish I had the $ to build another in 6mm Rem. it's like a 243 on STEROIDS!