• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6mm Super Long Range

gregsjt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Idaho
Has anyone on here had any experiance with this round? It's a .243 with a longer neck, steeper shoulder, and less body taper. The website says all you have to do is run .243 brass through a full length sizer and then go shoot.

My question is whether or not its worth the fuss, is there any gain over just a regular .243? If so how much? I'm looking for long range performance out to 1000 with 87 grain and up bullets.

Thanks

6mm Super Long Range Webpage

Re: 6mm Super Long Range

it might give you slightly better barel life but if you load your heavy projectiles int he 243 with H1000 the barrel will last a long time anyway. i would not bother but do get an 8 twist barrel and dont even bother about the 87's if you are only going to shoot a 107gr Max weight projectile a 9 twist will also work very well and allow you to realy hammer the 105gr A Max it is my pick for varmint shooting and we like to use 9 twist barrels for them and 6X47 Lapua's aswerll as 243's. i am using an 8.5 twist with 107's in a 6mm Dasher and it shoots realy well so unless you want to run 117gr projectiles you dont need an 8 twist and definatly dont go any faster int he twist or you will blow up thin jacketed bullets.

Your other options to the 243 are the 6mm XC and also the 6X47 Lapua the lapua is an amasing round and 40gr H4350 pushes a 107 out around 3000fps from a 26" 8 twist. the XC is in between the two and any of the 3 will do what you want with dies available off the shelf and Lapua or Norma brass is available LApua for the 243 and 6'5X47 then you neck it to 6mm and Norma of the XC the two smaler cases would be my pick though chose wether you want to run Lapua brass of norma and then it would make my decision i am now sponsored by Norma for my shooting so i would use the 6mmXC but if you like Lapua the 6X47 is a better option.

It is a great round...but if you want to shoot 87 grainers build a 6mmBR. If you want to shoot the SLR or a. 243, then shoot the 115DTAC. Otherwise you are subjecting yourself to short barrel life for very little benefit.

I'm wanting to build a 6mmXC in the coming years. Which is the perfect Niche to me, 7gr less powder capacity than the .243, little more than the lapua.

6mmSLR has no performance advantage over a standard .243Win, but the cases don't stretch as fast and the neck is a bit longer. IMO the 6mmSLR is what the .243Win should have been in the first place.

Other than the cost of the reamer and special reloading dies, the cases are easy to form, but do need fireforming to fully form out the case.

In short, not worth it from what I have seen. Just more brass to separate and more dies to buy.

No gain over .243 at a practical level of shooting.

Barrel life appears to be just the same as standard .243 with the rifle I have seen. Any bullet under 95 gr seems handicapped for long stuff.

But, on a good note, if you are into reloading it is easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO the 6mmSLR is what the .243Win should have been in the first place.</div></div>

This is what I was thinking, that’s why I was curious. I've had a 6mm Ackley in the past, and although the velocity was amazing, the OAL was a pain in the ass for feeding out of a short action magazine.

I should've said earlier that my interest lies mostly in varmint hunting, and plinking steel. In my Ackley I could get the 87 Vmaxs up to about 3550, so I'm looking for something that could push the 87's close to that but work out of a magazine. I would like to give the 105’s a try as well.

Still brass is easy to form, doesn't require as much trimming as the .243, and the extended neck decreases throat torching. At the same time the extended neck allows you to seat the longer 6mm bullets to mag length without taking up powder capacity.

Even if you have the same performance of the .243 whats not to like?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still brass is easy to form, doesn't require as much trimming as the .243, and the extended neck decreases throat torching. At the same time the extended neck allows you to seat the longer 6mm bullets to mag length without taking up powder capacity.

Even if you have the same performance of the .243 whats not to like?</div></div>

Be careful about the information you dispense here. A month ago you didn't know the difference between ES/SD, and now you know all about the 6mm's? What is your reloading experience with the 6mm's/.243's ?

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but com'n, this is exactly how folks get messed up.

Those are coming from the site.. To clear up things, i knew the definition of Standard Deviation and Extreme spread, i didn't recognize it's abbreviation, because i had not applied it to shooting. It's common sense to know what standard deviation and extreme spread mean. I reload for my .243. I never claimed to know all about the 6mm, nor am i implying i do. I simply stated what the site listed as the advantages of the cartridge. I guess i appreciate the concern, but you need to relax Lead, i have not yet once stated that i'm an expert in this or that nor have implied it.

I had a GAP rifle built in'99 Rem short action w/ the ramp milled out a bit to fit the 6mm284 w/ the 105/107g vld's. Used a 28 1/2 in 1 in 8 twist and RE22 powder produced 3250 fps. Time of flight was less than most and made up for some of the low BC numbers. Never considered throat or barrel wear, only performance and low recoil (JP tank brake). It was a long machine, not in vogue today.
Brass was easy, just neck down .284 or 6.5/284. If I did that again today it would be just plain .284 Win. I really like the 7mm numbers on paper.

I have a 6mm ackley, and a 243.....my long range gun is the 243 because the barrel lasts longer....900 rounds and i had to set the barrel back on the 6 AI because it went to shooting 1.5" groups when it had been shooting .5"

I also have a 6-250. Just my 2 cents have fun.

I had one and loved it. My original barrel was a 6XC and it shot lights out too. I thought I wanted to try the new 115s when they came out so I had it rechambered to the LR.

I used the 115s for a while but accuracy wasn't all that great so I went back to the 105s. Using H1000 I would shoot groups in the .75 to 1.5" range for three shots at 400yds and 2 to 2.5" groups at 600yds consisitantly. I even had some 5 shot groups in under .5MOA out to 600yds.

My barrel was a Kreiger with over 1800rds through it as a 6XC when I rechambered to a 243SLR. I put another 1000+ rounds through it and then pulled the barrel.