• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mmXC barrel lenght?

9sigman45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
King, NC
I've decided that my next build will be a 6mm XC. It will be a Templar action, Bartlein 1/7.5 barrel, McMillan A5 and Badger M4. How short of a barrel can I go with and still get to 600 with ease, and even 1,000 on occasion?
Thanks.

Re: 6mmXC barrel lenght?

I have two rifles in 6xc,one 24 and the other 26.Both will go to 1000.The 24 is easier to handle in competition,while the 26 gives a little more velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two rifles in 6xc,one 24 and the other 26.Both will go to 1000.The 24 is easier to handle in competition,while the 26 gives a little more velocity. </div></div>

What contours did you go with? Any pics?
grin.gif

If you are not hauling this gun around in the bush with you, there would be no reason to go with a shorter barrel? I would put a 28" on it. That way you never second-guess yourself when shooting 600 yards + with it.

Plus when you have a 1000 rounds through it, you can set the barrel back a couple of inches and still have a decent length.

I have a heavy varmint contour on the 24" and MTU on the 26"....
Both barrels have over 2000 rounds with no setbacks. You dont have to second guess yourself when shooting a 24" to 1k.... My 26 will push a 115 at 3000 easily... That'll get you to 1250 easily.. Just my 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a heavy varmint contour on the 24" and MTU on the 26"....
Both barrels have over 2000 rounds with no setbacks. </div></div>

I guess we all have different tolerance levels for accuracy.

I'm running the full .243 Winchester through a 1-7" McGowen cut to 26" and left 1.0" in diameter at the muzzle. 115 DTAC's at 3,050fps are my standard load. Hits on a 24x24" plate at one mile are repeatable.

I can't imagine you'd have any trouble getting to 600 yards and occasionally 1,000 with a 20" barrel. It's up to you to decide where your personal "velocity vs. portability" slider needs to be.

Chops

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagrizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a heavy varmint contour on the 24" and MTU on the 26"....
Both barrels have over 2000 rounds with no setbacks. </div></div>

I guess we all have different tolerance levels for accuracy. </div></div>

I wouldn't bet against him.
smile.gif

You only need ~2600fps (w/ 107's or 115's) to get to 1000yds. You could probably get that with a 18" barrel.

If you're going to be maneuver with it then a 22-24" barrel would be good. If you don't need to hustle, then 26-28" would be nice as the additional velocity is free.

Sub .2's do for me... I've got a pretty handy gunsmith and a few identical barrels laying around when it goes. But your right Papagrizzly, your accuracy standard is probably held higher than mine........