• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47 forming from new brass help

Ok, As previously stated, I use the 2 step method. First a quick trip through the Redding 6x47L Body Die. Then, finish them off with a final trip through a Forster FL Sizing die. Originally, I tried the FL sizer only & had problems with crushed cases. After looking around I found some folks over @ Accurateshooter.com. A couple fellas were having the same problems as you & I. several guys mentioned using a "body die". so, because I was confused & frustrated just like you are, I ordered one.... So glad I did!!! Since that point in time, I've not experienced ANY problems with crushed cases!!!! So, fast forward, now my neighbor, & good friend who has been shooting NW PRS league this past year, decides to change one of his PRS rifles from 6.5x47L--to, 6x47L. he orders several hundred 6.5x47L brass. He asks how I form my 6x47L brass, & I explain my process. He asks to borrow my "Body Die"..... He was so pleased that the "2 step" process worked so well, he ordered a brand new Redding 6x47L body die, & gives it to me, & keeps the one I loaned to him for himself......... The body dies aren't all that expensive, & it sounds like several others here use the same process!!!! So, I guess the only other thing I can say is,, Good Luck with your new 6x47!!!!!!! Idaho-5R

Reactions: NorthWesterner
I was having this same problem and found I didn't have the expander button far enough down, ended up backing it down as low as it would go and the problem went away. I was still getting some slight shoulder deformation on some pieces until I backed the die up a bit more in the press.

If you already have a FL bushing die, why not take the bushing and stem out. Is that not essentially a body die at that point?

Reactions: Dstoenner
If you already have a FL bushing die, why not take the bushing and stem out. Is that not essentially a body die at that point?
That's what I have been saying all along.
Just use the die body!!!

Yeah but what I have been saying is to pull the guts out of it and then size the brass in two steps.

The guts would be the decapping rod and expander ball and it's not impossible I do it all the time.
Earlier in this thread you said you did it as well.

The guts would be the decapping rod and expander ball and it's not impossible I do it all the time.
Earlier in this thread you said you did it as well.
Yea I have removed the decamping ball and rod. I tried using it both with and without. Both ways yield the same result. I also tried only sizing 1/2 the mouth by backing off the die, also yielded the same result. There is nothing I haven’t tried with this die. I need another die to attempt some other techniques.

If all of the above didn't work I doubt a new die will be of any help. It sounds like there is something very wrong with the brass.
Your not sizing your brass down that much to be having so much trouble with it.
If you can look inside your current die the transition from the shoulder to the neck should be smooth. A borescope or maybe a magnifying glass would help.

Last edited:
Apologies if its been mentioned already but have you tried Imperial sizing wax vs one shot? A few years ago, before lapua made creedmoor brass, I formed some 6.5 CM from lapua 308 cases using a basic hornady FL die with the stem removed. The cases I sprayed with one shot, no matter how much, all crushed. Read some posts here and on accurateshooter on this process, they all suggested ISW. I tried it and that worked worlds better. That is, unless I used too much and wound up with weird looking dimples in the shoulder. Those went away with the first firing. Might be a simple solution to this conundrum.

Again, sorry if it’s been tried already, I got lazy and didn’t bother going back through the post.

It seems to work so I would just go with plan A for this batch of brass. Fire harden out of your 6.5 then start the neck down to 6.

For whatever reasons it is causing issues so I would just run with what works. If it happens on a different batch of brass down the road than you can work on getting something supplemental to get you moving along.

Personally, from the get go I have never attempted to neck down in one pass. I know some have succesfully but for the most part many run into issues, my current process has produced very concentric results with zero cases to cull over several hundred cases. Not really a fan of bushing dies anymore either unless I am turning necks or have a tight neck chamber, which I no longer have, but that is just my personal preference.

To check the placement of the expander button on the Forster die you can bring the decapping stem way down, run a case thru it and start screwing the stem up till you feel resistance as the button hits the neck, then screw back down a full turn or more as desired.

The Forster fl dies are excellent in my op.

Good Luck!!

BJames, Yes, I normally have used Imperial Sizing wax in my necking down, & other operations too. But, my buddy told me about using the One Shot, & wasn't quite as much cleanup of cases afterwards... I'm guessing either either will work just fine! Idaho-5R

BJames, Yes, I normally have used Imperial Sizing wax in my necking down, & other operations too. But, my buddy told me about using the One Shot, & wasn't quite as much cleanup of cases afterwards... I'm guessing either either will work just fine! Idaho-5R

Ah, one shot is definitely easier cleanup. So at this point what’s your thoughts on what’s going on? Soft batch, die issue, something else we haven’t thought of?

BJames, Well, I've been thinking about this since this thread was started.... I guess I have a bit of hard time thinking the brass is the issue. Of course it is possible, but, I've always felt Lapua makes pretty consistent brass. I wish the OP could try a Body die on a few pieces of his brass to see if this partial neck size would help before using his FL die. I suppose there could be an issue with his die, or mis-adjustment of it.. ...... I'm pretty puzzled about the whole thing, myself???.... Wish I had more input.......... Idaho-5R

When your only sizing down the neck in a full length die the brass goes into the die until the end of the neck makes contact with the shoulder of the die.
The shoulder starts the shrinking process so the only things that can happen are the case mouths are not sliding smoothly or the brass is so soft it gets pushed back before it starts to shrink.
The die isn't polished enough or the brass is to soft.
if firing it in 6.5 first works that means the brass is too soft.

I have used isw as well same result with crushed cases. I performed a small expirement. I used a 7mm collet bullet puller to size down about 10 thow, than ran threw the die. Sized it no problem. My conclusion is the brass is too soft to size in one pass. I can either buy a bushing die and size in two phases, or just fire it through my 6.5 first. Either way I think I can get it done. Just wish it was more simple.

I hear ya Northwesterner. Buy more stuff or load, shoot in the other rifle, resize, reload, and shoot in originally intended rifle. I’d be curious to hear about your results either way. I need another 200 or so 6 Lapua cases myself.

I ran 400 pieces of lapua 6.5x47 down to 6mm through in a single pass when I first got into this cartridge last year, no problems using Forester FL. I decided to add some more brass recently as I’d lost some in matches and for no reason I could find started crushing cases. Super pissed! Didn’t change anything from the original die setup just pulled out of press back into press. Only variable was brass lot. Glad I read this as I’ll be ordering a Redding body die to help solve my problem.

I hear ya Northwesterner. Buy more stuff or load, shoot in the other rifle, resize, reload, and shoot in originally intended rifle. I’d be curious to hear about your results either way. I need another 200 or so 6 Lapua cases myself.
well after all this time I have figured out the best way for me. I use my 6.5x47 with about 10-11 thow over desired final diameter. Run the brass trough that die. Once I. Have that first step I switch to the final size bushing in my 6x47 die and run again. Forms perfect with no issues every time. It’s a two step process, but it works well.

well after all this time I have figured out the best way for me. I use my 6.5x47 with about 10-11 thow over desired final diameter. Run the brass trough that die. Once I. Have that first step I switch to the final size bushing in my 6x47 die and run again. Forms perfect with no issues every time. It’s a two step process, but it works well.

Glad to hear it. I noticed if I use a similar 2 step process I get better concentricity for that initial firing. I have yet to lose a case resizing to 6.