• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

Made it to the range for the first time this year. Drug the B14r Steel along with me.
193 yards bipod with rear bag on bench. Eley Action 42gr bulk pack.

Attachments

• F8BABAE0-A8B4-4109-A59D-A1988742910A.jpeg
    F8BABAE0-A8B4-4109-A59D-A1988742910A.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Amazing how work eats up the days when the weather isn't miserable :(
Finally made it back to the range today. If only i could stop producing the 'runners' i'd have quite nice groups :D

Sauer STR 200, bipod and rear bag, prone. 100m

Average for the 6x5 was 0.786 MOA
Best group 0.368 MOA.

1616008748976.png

Reactions: jbell
Bergara B14R001 complete rifle
Leupold Backcountry 20MOA base
SWFA 30mm low rings
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 MRAD
Harris S-BRM bipod

50 yards, today 21 Mar 2021, SK Rifle Match ammunition.

0.3595" 5-shot average group (measured outer to outer then subtracted the .222 bullet diameter), 0.6867 MOA average

ZLIafna.jpg

Forgot to get a good pic of the rifle...but here it is with a G-D tick on the ocular.

7hYH6V1.jpg

Last edited:
RETE8, great looking rifle! No surprise, it looks like a shooter too. I have it on the results.

RETE8, great looking rifle! No surprise, it looks like a shooter too. I have it on the results.
Thanks! I can’t wait to get some more range time with it because I know I’m the weak link and can tighten things up a little.

Great looking rifle and nice groups.
Out of curiosity, did you shoot top row left to right, then bottom row left to right?
TIA.
Yes, I don’t have a lot of Center X right now, so I used one box for zeroing and getting familiar with it and one box for the 6x5.

I am still trying to find the right stock weld and I like the trigger, it’s just a lot wider than I am used to on my other rifles that is going to take getting used to.

Yes, I don’t have a lot of Center X right now, so I used one box for zeroing and getting familiar with it and one box for the 6x5.

I am still trying to find the right stock weld and I like the trigger, it’s just a lot wider than I am used to on my other rifles that is going to take getting used to.
Appreciate the response.
The reason I asked was because my groups often look similar. The groups 2 and 4 (middle column) look best compared to my left and right column groups. Best I can surmise is that I probably am trying to “muscle it” instead of re-establishing a better natural point of aim. May not be the case for you, but reviewing my targets, that’s definitely the pattern I see in my 6x5s, although now smaller as I gain more experience.
YMMV and happy shooting

Shot this 6 x 5 this AM with the new Vudoo at 100 yards. Zia Pistol and Rifle club in ABQ New Mexico. Average was .7385", using R50, barely besting my T1X using the same ammo in 2020. Shot with bipod and rear bag in our tunnel. It was too windy for rimfire today! Best group of .526"

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: RETE8
Appreciate the response.
The reason I asked was because my groups often look similar. The groups 2 and 4 (middle column) look best compared to my left and right column groups. Best I can surmise is that I probably am trying to “muscle it” instead of re-establishing a better natural point of aim. May not be the case for you, but reviewing my targets, that’s definitely the pattern I see in my 6x5s, although now smaller as I gain more experience.
YMMV and happy shooting
Good point...I will watch that next range trip.

Tomiboy,
Is that the same tunnel that Harold Vaughn built while he was writing his book "Rifle Accuracy Facts"? I'd sure like to be able to find some 4' dia concrete pipe in those 34' long sections that he wrote about to build myself a shooting tunnel here on the farm.

Flatland,

I've only been a member for a year so I don't know the history, but it IS built with large diameter concrete pipe and looks like it's been here quite a while. There is a little room with a concrete bench and stools. An exhaust fan and lighting at both ends.

Tomiboy,
Is that the same tunnel that Harold Vaughn built while he was writing his book "Rifle Accuracy Facts"? I'd sure like to be able to find some 4' dia concrete pipe in those 34' long sections that he wrote about to build myself a shooting tunnel here on the farm.
Another alternative is HDPE culverts. You can find them at Menards. An example included. I believe they have 24", 36" and 48" by 20 feet long.

RFS99
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 7.41.55 AM.png

Went out in the drizzle to try applying some fundamentals advice from @jbell ...
still a work in progress but i like to tell myself that i see improvement.

Sauer STR 200 at 100m. Eley Match, bipod and rear bag, prone

My errors are getting more consistent :) Average was 0.650 MOA so not too bad.

1617028684343.png

Reactions: RETE8
If I were going to build a shooting tunnel to bury, it wouldn't need to be 4' diameter; 100yds of the plastic 4' dia culvert would cost over $16.000! But if I could find used 4' concrete at a reasonable cost, it wouldn't need to be buried. Obviously, I've got more questions than answers at this point; whatever route I decide to take, I'd want to make darned sure it was shootable - have read several comments stating that some shooting tunnels are just not usable due to mirage inside.

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Went out in the drizzle to try applying some fundamentals advice from @jbell ...
still a work in progress but i like to tell myself that i see improvement.

Sauer STR 200 at 100m. Eley Match, bipod and rear bag, prone

My errors are getting more consistent :) Average was 0.650 MOA so not too bad.

View attachment 7592939
I have you updated. It looks like your consistency has improved from the last few targets. The more I look at it all in all that is a pretty damn good target. What was the wind doing while you were shooting?

Last edited:
If I were going to build a shooting tunnel to bury, it wouldn't need to be 4' diameter; 100yds of the plastic 4' dia culvert would cost over $16.000! But if I could find used 4' concrete at a reasonable cost, it wouldn't need to be buried. Obviously, I've got more questions than answers at this point; whatever route I decide to take, I'd want to make darned sure it was shootable - have read several comments stating that some shooting tunnels are just not usable due to mirage inside.
If you're able to make an ARA Match in McCook and your farming schedule allows for an extra day, my tunnel is another 1 1/2 hrs NE in Cozad, NE.

I spent several years designing it after visiting with dozens of others via phone and email. I've also traveled in person and shot in at least 20 different indoor facilities over the last 40 years.

There are more pitfalls and things to avoid that I can possible express in the time I have here to list them all, but a face-to-face meeting in my facility for a day should provide some clarity and help you avoid the obstacles that have caused others to be heartbroken.
Since you mentioned Harold Vaughn previously, a great deal of what I've learned over the years follows his thoughts if you have a copy of "Rifle Accuracy Facts". If you don't have a copy because it's nearly unobtanium now days for less than 100's of dollars, I can also fix you up with a digital copy.

I will not offer a digital copy to anyone else reading this post because I've been unable to contact Harold's son and get his permission or the permission of "Precision Shooting" who originally published it. I don't want to run afoul of any copywrite issues until I know for sure.

Just a thought,
Landy

Thanks for a gracious offer to visit and see your shooting tunnel Landy. I never know very far in advance when or even if I'll have time to get away for a couple of days during the growing season, but I'll keep it in mind, just the same. I'm trying to recall where I bought my copy of Rifle Accuracy Facts - I'm pretty sure I got the paperback copy within the past 3-4yrs, but darned if I remember where I found it. Might've been Amazon, but that's just a guess. Precision Shooting, Inc. copyrighted & published it in 2009, but my copy was a 4th edition, printed in 2011.

I have you updated. It looks like your consistency has improved from the last few targets. The more I look at it all in all that is a pretty damn good target. What was the wind doing while you were shooting?
Thanks :) Wind was actually being rather kind, 0-5 mph, but as usual the direction was everything at once - anything from the left hemisphere or vertical down (the range is across a mountain gully) . I suspect the swirling winds, to an extent, are self cancelling ? Ie if you have a following wind for part of the flight path and a head wind for the other end and nothing much happening in the middle the effects will to an extent cancel ?
The map below shows the 100m and 200m ranges. The wind is either 'warmer' wind from the valley moving left to right across the firing direction with cold air falling in from behind and in front, or cold wind falling from right to left across the firing direction with cold air falling in from behind and in front.

1617114515361.png

Thanks :) Wind was actually being rather kind, 0-5 mph, but as usual the direction was everything at once - anything from the left hemisphere or vertical down (the range is across a mountain gully) . I suspect the swirling winds, to an extent, are self cancelling ? Ie if you have a following wind for part of the flight path and a head wind for the other end and nothing much happening in the middle the effects will to an extent cancel ?
The map below shows the 100m and 200m ranges. The wind is either 'warmer' wind from the valley moving left to right across the firing direction with cold air falling in from behind and in front, or cold wind falling from right to left across the firing direction with cold air falling in from behind and in front.

View attachment 7593689
That looks like it could get spicy...

I shot my first 100 yard 6x5 today. Shooting a 6x5 is about my favorite thing to do at the range. I’ve only shot a few groups at 100 with this rifle neither of which was under an inch so I’m happy with this entry.
The pic of my setup is old. I used a front rest today. The rest is the same.

Attachments

• C79F6C1C-9BA8-40B6-B473-5F73985403EE.jpeg
    C79F6C1C-9BA8-40B6-B473-5F73985403EE.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 32E34076-BA09-4D78-BEA9-C17D75988398.jpeg
    32E34076-BA09-4D78-BEA9-C17D75988398.jpeg
    799.4 KB · Views: 104
Appalachian, nice shooting with the 452 American! I have you on the results. I had a wood stocked American that would hammer, I never should have sold that little rifle...

Reactions: Appalachian
Appalachian, nice shooting with the 452 American! I have you on the results. I had a wood stocked American that would hammer, I never should have sold that little rifle...
Thank You sir. I have another unfired one. I also have a 455 and 457, but they don’t compare.

New submission from me. This is my new Fclass rimfire rifle (Lee Gardner 2500x build). I was playing with tuner settings yesterday and while I was out, I let myself get distracted shooting groups with it, lol. I shot a total of 15x 5 shot groups with an overall average of .269, it is very consistent and I think that I'll be able to wring a bit tighter groups through tuning and ammo. The Buck target was shot with Midas+ in the morning and the groups on the ARA target were shot with a new lot of Center-x in the later afternoon. Great consistency between two different ammos, significantly different speeds, and quite a bit of difference in conditions.

The submitted group had some vertical on groups 3 and 6 which I think was the wind playing tricks with me. Could have been better :) but isn't that always the story?

My submission is the 6 shot group shot on the Buck Memorial target. The other is just for show and tell.

Shot on 4/4/2021
2500x action, Benchmark, Jewell, Harrell, Sightron 10-50
Wind was ~5mph from 8:00 but switchy especially in lulls.
~60 degrees
24% humidity
Midas+

Group 1 - .143 - best group
Group 2 - .208
Group 3 - .333
Group 4 - .304
Group 5 - .179
Group 6 - .388
Average - .259 - .495 MOA

As always, thanks for putting on this challenge!

Attachments

• 20210404_162957.jpg
    20210404_162957.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210405_072153.jpg
    20210405_072153.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210405_072252.jpg
    20210405_072252.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 139
Second try at this, I was able to shoot a touch better than last time.

Details
CZ 452
First group was not cold bore. My first target I had forgotten to check scope zero. The first 2 shots were .7 mil high.
55-60 Deg F
5-7mph winds
Lots of mirage.
I pulled one shot that really messed the average.

Using the first 6 groups .393 a
0B29B841-1AB5-409E-8727-205A4C156BA4.jpeg

Now I have some things in mind to work on to tighten this up.

Thanks I am looking forward to it.

That vudoo is taking too long 😆. It will be interesting to see how it shoots compared to the old cz.

Not much to brag about, but weather has not been cooperating. Shot this morning, 4/14/2021. Vudoo, NF 7-35, SK Biathlon, Bipod, rear bag from a bench, shooting out my garage window. Average for bulls 18 - 23 was .379". Best group was .185". Bull 11 was my first group with the cold bore shot marked. Today I shot bulls 11, 12 and 16 - 23. The other groups were from a different day.

IMG_6085.jpg

A new PB for me at 100 yards. Funny thing is I went to the Lapua testing center a few days ago. I got to take home 400 rounds of one of the lots I chose because it was all that was left of that lot anyway. This target was shot with a random lot I already had. I can’t find the target I shot today with the tested Ammo. I didn’t think this one was that good until I got home and measured it.

Today is the first time I’ve used proper wind flags. I don’t think it helped today though as they were all blowing different directions if moving at the same time. I can’t think that fast. The wind was overall mild though. I did manage to watch the flags with the left eye while aiming with my dominant right simultaneously a few times.

CZ 452 American in a Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock with a Midas Tac 6-24 and a Yo Dave trigger shim and spring.
Harris Bipod, Protektor rear bag
6 mph wind 51 degrees.
Lapua Center X
4234030C-6500-4947-A2CF-BABEC01F0AE4.jpeg

If I could just get it to do this. This is with just one action screw. I accidentally left the rear action screw bolt at home.
593E1953-B2EF-415C-9838-3A3BA7C07A06.jpeg

Reactions: learjet
A new PB for me at 100 yards. Funny thing is I went to the Lapua testing center a few days ago. I got to take home 400 rounds of one of the lots I chose because it was all that was left of that lot anyway. This target was shot with a random lot I already had. I can’t find the target I shot today with the tested Ammo. I didn’t think this one was that good until I got home and measured it.

Today is the first time I’ve used proper wind flags. I don’t think it helped today though as they were all blowing different directions if moving at the same time. I can’t think that fast. The wind was overall mild though. I did manage to watch the flags with the left eye while aiming with my dominant right simultaneously a few times.

CZ 452 American in a Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock with a Midas Tac 6-24 and a Yo Dave trigger shim and spring.
Harris Bipod, Protektor rear bag
6 mph wind 51 degrees.
Lapua Center X
View attachment 7607215

If I could just get it to do this. This is with just one action screw. I accidentally left the rear action screw bolt at home. View attachment 7607216
@Appalachian These Lapua Test Ctr results are 50m or 100m?

Last edited: