• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

I assume this is 100 yards based on how your rifle has shot in the past, but I wanted to confirm before I made any changes. Damn good shooting if so!
jbell, sorry, yes, this is 100 yards. I'll be sure to include the distance in future posts.

Thanks,

RFS99

Reactions: jbell
JBELL my new CEN X sucks on es its Squirrel ammo when I can find one 😁!
Rimdenter, can you give me an overview of your Kimber that shot so well in the 100 yard 6x5? What work have you had done to it, and what ammo did you shoot?

Thanks,

RFS99

Calm weather prevailed again today, so I made the best of it. The M12 pulled a .571” 100 yard average. Personal best with that rifle.
Working through some Eley lot testing. With the current tuner setting, this rifle seems to excel with something in the 1060-1065 FPS range. Such an interesting and addictive game.

View attachment 7303380
Simpletoms, what a great shooting rifle. Can you describe any of the work done to it by Mark? He's a great gun smith.

Thanks,

RFS99

Hey all, shot another 6x5 at 50yds testing another lot of RWS R50. Didn't beat my best group but beat my best average by 2 thou 😂😂😂😂

I pulled a few trigger shots, need to sort that out or it would have been even better.

20211013_175327.jpg

Cheers guys. And massive thanks to Jbell as you do a wicked job managing this thread. Well done mate.

Rimdenter, can you give me an overview of your Kimber that shot so well in the 100 yard 6x5? What work have you had done to it, and what ammo did you shoot?

Thanks,

RFS99
82c ssv stainless 20" varmint fluted barrel tuned and lightened trigger spring. Chamber was lap out .0003 from factory. Polished bolt rail faces set lower rail height to bolt rail faces .0005 torked action in at 36 front 28 back.Ammo SKHV ORANGE BOX

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Simpletoms, what a great shooting rifle. Can you describe any of the work done to it by Mark? He's a great gun smith.

Thanks,

RFS99
RFS99

I actually bought the rifle second hand, but the rifle was barreled, chambered and bedded by Mark. I don’t know if mark installed the tuner on it, but I’ll tell you it works.
The trigger is decent and may have been worked on, but it is still the factory trigger. For accuracy, it’s truly the best .22 I own or have owned. That includes a handful of Anschutz (2-2013’s have come and gone) a the Vudoo, an 1827 and a 1710 I still own. The 1710 is probably in second place and the Vudoo/1827 in third.

Tom

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
jbell, I was able to shoot a 200 yard 6x5 today. I used splatter targets to help my eyes see the hits. Used the same rifle (2500x, etc.) with Eley Match. In case the numbers are hard to read:
T1 - 3.963 in.
T2 - 1.658 In.
T3 - 2.091 in.
T4 - 1.560 in.
T5 - 2.821 in.
T6 - 2.035 in.

Average = 2.354 in., best group 1.560 in.

No cold bore, Temp - 57F, Wind - NW 8 mph, Humidity - 58%.

I know I can improve on this and will shoot again when the winds are not so gusty.

Thanks,

RFS99

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
jbell, I was able to shoot a fresh 50 yard 6x5 today also. See table on target lower left for ETE measures, and CTC calculations. Overall average was 0.194 inches (1.167/6). Best group was .085 in. Same 2500X rifle, rest, etc. I used a new lot of Midas+ on this target. Seems to like my rifle. Same environmentals as the 200 yard post above.

I did not improve on my 50 yard average, but did improve on the best group.

Thanks,

RFS99

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    601.8 KB · Views: 116
Finally figured out how to work the TT and tweaked the action screws torque. Lighter trigger pull definitely reduces how much the gun gets pushed hence the wonky windage on the first group. #3? I'm not sure what the operator was doing! :LOL: Getting better for sure and still shooting random lots of SK Standard+. It's all on me now...
5x6 101621.jpg

Reactions: Stev0
Some might call it an exercise in futility, but I thought I would run a couple of 6x5's at 50 yards with my new to me 64 MPR chambered in .17 HMR. I have it topped with an Area 419 25 MOA rail and a Zeiss V4 6-24X. The second string was the better of the two, but both are decent considering tha ammo.
IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

Both average and overall uses CTC
@jbell I was asking because on the 50 yard best group list you have .399 listed for my MPR and that is the overall size of the group. The CTC is .222.

Not a big deal I just want to make sure I am doing things right.

@jbell I was asking because on the 50 yard best group list you have .399 listed for my MPR and that is the overall size of the group. The CTC is .222.

Not a big deal I just want to make sure I am doing things right.
Ahhh, I see that. I'll fix it this evening. Sorry

jbell - Good shooting! Just makes me that much more anxious to get a barrel done for the Three-60 action that's been sitting in my safe for the past several months. I have to make a decision which blank to use on this action, as there are Benchmark, Green Mountain, Krieger, and Shilen blanks in the shop...

jbell - Good shooting! Just makes me that much more anxious to get a barrel done for the Three-60 action that's been sitting in my safe for the past several months. I have to make a decision which blank to use on this action, as there are Benchmark, Green Mountain, Krieger, and Shilen blanks in the shop...
All great choices, I have seen amazing results from all of those.

jbell, a great day to shoot in my area! Very low winds (NW 6 mph) but switchy in direction, 46 F, sunny. No cold bore on this 200 yard submission. I shot Eley Match, KSS 2500X rifle, NF 12-42 scope, Bix N Andy trigger, Shilen 24" barrel. 2nd time I've shot this rifle at 200, and wow, I am impressed on how well it shoots. I shot a string of 10 splattering targets (T1-T10), and used the middle 6 targets for the submission. I used a caliper to measure the edge to edge size, then subtracted 0.223. Values are on each target, lower left side. T3 - 1.501, T4 - 1.422, T5 - 1.475, T6 - 1.309, T7 - 1.188, T8 - 1.556. Total = 8.451/6 = 1.408 inches. Best group = 1.188 inches. A picture with a ruler included for best group to verify group size.

Let me know if you need anything else?

Thanks for keeping this going!

RFS99

Attachments

• IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    498.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    649.6 KB · Views: 89
Oh what a weird day today. Shot 30 5 shot groups at 100m, between the wind, me and the gods some of the groups were over 2 MOA in size :eek: most were around 0.75 as expected - they just wern't anywhere near where i expected them to be (think 1+ MOA off POA !!). then just to tease me the gods provided 3 random acts of accuracy .... 0.305, 0.151, and 0.107 MOA.... the 0.107 was even close to my POA! Great for cherry picking;) just a shame that the rest of the targets look like i used a shot gun :rolleyes:

I just couldn't call the shots at all - first shot in each group was an oooooo kaaay where did that go ? then the rest of the 5 would somewhat follow the first shot. the next group could be equally unexpected in the opposite direction, or high , or low. really odd..... ive decided to call it entertaining :cool:

Last edited:
been almost 6 months since i did any group shooting w the vudoo. ive been really hooked on shooting comps w the cz457. anyway i did manage a new 2021 personal best 50 yd single group, and both a new best single group and 6x5 at 100 yds.

same old early vudoo, march scope, shot prone w bipod and bag.

best 50 yd group .101” . 193 moa
100 yd group .280” .267 moa
100yd 6x5 .529” .505 moa

as always please check my math!

4D25CD42-A792-4E65-8597-CFD3B46CD73D.jpeg

thx, much appreciated. winds were decent but picked up on the last few 100yd targets. i just shot thru the lulls. eley has some odd flyers, but its what i have around. im down to 100rnds of cx, and a few hundred of the disappointing lot of midas i paid way to much for. i have stocked a bunch of SK, which shoots good enough for Nrl in the cz, but not so good in the vudoo..i just ordered 2 bricks of CX, hopin for a decent lot. kinda feels like buyin a lottery ticket every time i order rimfire ammo. i need to get to the test center

thx, much appreciated. winds were decent but picked up on the last few 100yd targets. i just shot thru the lulls. eley has some odd flyers, but its what i have around. im down to 100rnds of cx, and a few hundred of the disappointing lot of midas i paid way to much for. i have stocked a bunch of SK, which shoots good enough for Nrl in the cz, but not so good in the vudoo..i just ordered 2 bricks of CX, hopin for a decent lot. kinda feels like buyin a lottery ticket every time i order rimfire ammo. i need to get to the test center
Luckily i can get ammo here so have just finished a long round of lot testing - ended up with specific lots of Eley Match and Team.
Had planned to get out today and see if i can match your 100m 6x5 with my new ammo .... but ... with 110 km/hr (68 mph) gusts i wouldnt have a target to shoot at.
Did you notice that Eley rounds foul the barrel significantly less than Lapua or SK ? I find i have to clean after less than 100 rounds or so of CenterX but even after 1000 rounds of Eley Team there is basically nothing to clean.
@jbell would appreciate your input here too.

Hmm, I have shot a lot of Center X, Midas, Polar, Eley Match, & Eley Tenex but not much else from Eley. As you know the two brands use a different base for their bullet lube, that may be the difference in cleaning requirements. Are you seeing an accuracy drop off to cause the need to clean with Lapua?

I haven't ever seen a difference between the two as far as accuracy vs round count. I also don't allow myself to look in the bore of a rifle unless something is up with accuracy.

I think i can see a small decrease in accuracy with CX if i don't clean frequently - but it is in the statistics it isn't dramatic
I haven't seen any discernable difference with Eley Team.
what is obvious is if i switch from CX to Eley Match then Match will shoot badly until either i clean the bore or shoot many rounds.
Shoot a 6x5 and run a cleaning pellet through and it is obvious which round was used to shoot the 6x5 - black grit with the CX and nothing with the Match.
I wonder if these differences are part of the reason there is so little agreement on cleaning regimes ? I could well see a benchrest competitor shooting CX needing to clean the bore very often than a 3P or PRS shooter using RWS R50 or Eley Match (i havent used enough of the other Eley products to know if they have the same lubrication).

ive only got my single vudoo as a data point, but i have yet to shoot it enough without cleaning to see a significant accuracy dropoff with any ammo vs what the ammo in question will do when the guns clean. I have shot over 500 rnds of good cx without cleaning with no measureable accuracy decline. i normally clean mine every few hundred rnds using a less is more approach. couple patches, a pass or 2 w nylon brush, and a quick scrub of the chamber / throat with a short rod and 223 bronze brush, another patch or 2. rifle settles quickly, 15-20 rnds needed after cleaning or ammo brand swap.

my best single groups have come with eley, but so do more head scratchers, i dunno. i hate to mention it but i get a misfire or 2 per box with eley also. i can lift the bolt to cock and refire, the round wont go off. if i remove and reinsert in the chamber to ”reclock” the rim the round will always fire. when this batch of eleys gone im done with it. my theory is the coned breach in the vudoo and eleys rims dont get along, at least in my rifle.

i havent noticed any difference in fouling from the various brands, but ive never looked for it.

Finally a chance to get back out to the range without needing either diving gear nor an anchor to keep the target in place!

2 degC, 974hPa, 58% RH and NO WIND !

Sauer 200 STR
100m
bipod and rear bag

Didn't manage to beat @learjet but I'm happy - new best average for me :)

average 0.541 MOA
best 0.308 MOA

1638017681464.png

Reactions: learjet
20211217_203425.jpg

6*5 avg .558"
5*5 avg .523"

100 yds
12/17/21 40 degrees, 1-3 mph winds
V22S, Flavio, Shilen 24"
2 piece rest
Eley Black box
Harrell's
NF competition

Reactions: RETE8 and Quickoz
Probably my last sumission with the vudoo this year. Im gonna try to get the cz out again as well. got a random lot of cx that hasnt overly impressed me so far but did manage a slightly better 6x5 average then ive managed this year. at 100 it wasnt even close. oh well, must get to test center i guess

new best 50 yd 6x5 .244” .466moa

Merry Christmas everyone!
78AC2FEC-A258-4B39-A224-06D6AE8A3306.jpeg

Reactions: RETE8