• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6xc vs 6br vs 6 cm

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
sorry I deleted the other post on accident but, the rifle will be for long range, coyote hunting, and some varmint so I don't want to blow up the coyote so I'm debating to keep 260 or get a 6mm, I want it to be very accurate and reliable I know the 6br is known for small groups, 6cm is known for speed and 6xc is known highpower wins. from other post +4 6cm +1 6br 0 6xc

Last edited:
I already gave my advice in your other thread, but there is something else you should consider before listening to what some on here recommend. It's good that you are taking into account what everyone has to say, but you need to remember this is the internet and many who try to give advise have no business trying to instruct others when they don't have a clue themselves. You would be best served to discuss this with the gunsmith who will build your rifle. (Hopefully) He will be knowledgable enough to answer your questions and steer you in the right direction.

I wanted to ask gary elsieo but he would probably say 6br but he would only say 6br or 6xc because he has experience with those. and not many gunsmiths have experience with 6cm since its a new cartridge.

I wanted to ask gary elsieo but he would probably say 6br but he would only say 6br or 6xc because he has experience with those. and not many gunsmiths have experience with 6cm since its a new cartridge.

You want the best possible answer to your question. Go look at some of the threads that detail what people are using in comps, you'll get a better educated answer from looking at their rigs than tom, dick, and harry commenting in this thread.

After shooting out two 6XC barrels, I had GAP re-barrel it to the 6 Creed. I have 600 rounds through that tube(Bartlein), and will say it is every bit as accurate as the XC with a little more velocity.

I've taken over 500 coyotes with the XC and Creed and in my opinion, those two rounds may be the perfect balance of power for a coyote rifle.

How much horsepower do you need?

Repeater?

Will you be losing brass?

Any reason you've not included 243, 6creed, 6SLR, or any of the 6BR wildcats?

i'd be interested to hear about method of feeding and reliability thereof for these cartridges. i've been trying to read up on feeding reliability of the 6br.

Reactions: No2psi
Any reason you've not included 243?

Agreed... keep it simple. If mostly for hunting, why complicate things and add expense? .243 for the win. Unless you just want something different.

Never met the man, but if Pat says a given caliber (or two) is good to go...I'm beyond certain it is.

Rob is 100% correct. Most of the low barrel life history and the 243 is also because it was a popular varmint round, load a super light 6mm pill and push it well above 3200 fps with fast burning powders and barrel life will be low. I run 115 DTACs and slow powders (RL22 & 25) and am sitting around 2600 rds through my 243, still shoots like it was new.

Kirk R

After shooting out two 6XC barrels, I had GAP re-barrel it to the 6 Creed. I have 600 rounds through that tube(Bartlein), and will say it is every bit as accurate as the XC with a little more velocity.

I've taken over 500 coyotes with the XC and Creed and in my opinion, those two rounds may be the perfect balance of power for a coyote rifle.

Listen to this man. He shoots more than just about anybody. He has also killed more schitt than smallpox. :)

On top of that Pat is a topnotch fellow who will never steer you wrong about guns or hunting.

the xc and cm get more barrel life though? I just want a round with at least 2500 rnd bbl life, fast velocities and good long range preformance

the xc and cm get more barrel life though? I just want a round with at least 2500 rnd bbl life, fast velocities and good long range preformance

I hope RIABILITY is included with your option.then xc and cm will serve you better compare to br or brx or dasher..specialy magazine fed caliber

long range newbie said:
I just want a round with at least 2500 rnd bbl life, fast velocities and good long range preformance

I just want a woman that is beautiful, low maintenance, cooks, cleans, makes a lot of money, shags like a minx, is always horny, has a sexy mother, and never wants to get married.

Reactions: NaciremaToirtap
Just curious as to why the 260 isn't getting it done for you. My shooting buddy has a 260 and I love that gun.

Sounds like you want a 260 slinging 123s @ 3050 or so.

Pay in ballistic performance or pay in barrel life...there is no free lunch.

Last edited:
You never get something for nothing LRN.

got a 260, it slings 120/129s fast and (haven't chronoed them) still load developing. haven't had much time to shoot stuck in cali atm and it sucks

Or should I keep the 260? I mean I'm thinking shoot it for a while and then next time change caliber? It shoots pretty good I still have to get my eliseo. I will use it for coyotes, hunting(sometimes) and competition.

For what it's worth, my buddy shoots 142g SMKs like nobody's business.

Or should I keep the 260? I mean I'm thinking shoot it for a while and then next time change caliber? It shoots pretty good I still have to get my eliseo. I will use it for coyotes, hunting(sometimes) and competition.
^^^ Sounds like a great, and cost effective, decision.^^^

The .260 is an amazing and it doesn't sound like you've taken it to its potential yet. But if it has a 28" barrel I'm guessing you aren't hiking on your hunts.
Not sure what you twist is but with a 28" barrel you should be able to sling the 142s or 139s out to almost a mile. If you want to stick to that kind of barrel life, just don't overheat or shoot extreme velocity loads. Any of the 6mm's should get you there if you take care of your barrel.

I get it though if you are just looking to get another rifle in another caliber, but if you like to try different calibers w/o having to get a all new gun and scope and stock every time.. get a Savage and just order up a bunch of prefits (varmint, sporter, etc) and just twist on what you want to play with that week/month. Just rambling out loud.

It seems that a lot of people start in LR shooting and think they want to get by on one barrel for the next 5 years. Except for those who start and stay with the barrel loving 308, we have so much fun shooting we shoot more and more and realize barrels are just consumable items that buy to get the job done you want done. While you are having fun shooting you drive to this range or that match etc and realize pretty quickly that for most of the biggest expense is the price of gas. I do my own rebarreling and I cannot buy a new barrel for the price of 4 tanks of gas, and if I paid to have it rebarreled it would cost about 7 tanks of gas.

Maybe to save money we should buy vehicles with a mile or two better per gallon that what we drive and just buy the best barrel to get the job done.

A little different way to look at it but I would rather buy and burn barrels with the caliber that works best for what I want to shoot.

I had a 6 Creedmoor built by Moon and have about 155 rounds down the tube, so far I love this 6mm. I also shoot the 260 and it's a great, accurate rifle, but the 6 Creed is a bit more fun to shoot!

Always amazed at the 6 mm barrel life argument, a 243 105@3150 will be a barrel burner, but a 6cm 105@3200 will go for years....right.lol. I get 6 br to feed 100% in modded AI mags and a savage, m700 not so much. Maybe 75% of the time it would feed in the rem.

Always amazed at the 6 mm barrel life argument, a 243 105@3150 will be a barrel burner, but a 6cm 105@3200 will go for years....right.lol. I get 6 br to feed 100% in modded AI mags and a savage, m700 not so much. Maybe 75% of the time it would feed in the rem.

Im curious myself how long my barrel will last, when I sent my 6mmREM to Chad for a rebarrel the barrel had about 1500 rounds thru it still shot pretty good for a factory rifle, burns as much powder or more than a 243 or 6 creed and bet that barrel wouldve lasted another 1K rounds. We shall see how long my Bartleins last shooting the 6 Creed.

Both of my 6XC barrels went south right around 3000 rounds. I'm betting the Creed will be the same.....

If you have a .260, keep shooting it. You'll get lots of life and you're just giving up marginal drop/drift to the 6mms, I doubt you can shoot the difference. Why spend the money on new components, dies, and a barrel when your barrel is outperforming you already? You can't just buy latest and greatest and move up a tier. It takes practice.

Shoulder angle and nk length will help the cm&xc, but i doubt that given the same velocities and shooting discipline( banging steel vs. prarie dog) there will be little difference in those and a 243. The negligible difference could be attributed to difference in barrel.

I can't imagine myself ever shooting better than my .243 "match " chamber CBI Savage. And the beauty is for 300 bucks, I just spin on another 6mm anytime I want...xc, br, creed...whatever is in stock lol

A barrel is a "consumable" item in shooting, just like brass, bullets, powder, etc. Any 6mm is going to have a shorter (and similar) barrel life when you push it hard, 6XC, 6CM, 243, will all have the asme barrel life given the same velocity and such, its just reality.

Rob is 100% correct. Most of the low barrel life history and the 243 is also because it was a popular varmint round, load a super light 6mm pill and push it well above 3200 fps with fast burning powders and barrel life will be low. I run 115 DTACs and slow powders (RL22 & 25) and am sitting around 2600 rds through my 243, still shoots like it was new.

Kirk R

Have you tried running H1000 yet? I know of a few fellas that do and get great results and extended barrel life?

Not yet Yoshi, RL-25 is the slowest I have tried, but H1000 has a similar burn rate. I am going from a 26" barrel down to a 24 or even 22", so I will most likely be going to RL-22 or even back to H-4350 again due to the shorter barrel length. If I can go to 22" and still stay supersonic out to 1500 I'm happy with that. I have a barrel that is getting up there in rounds so I was going to cut it from 26 down to 24" and record the data, then cut to 22" and do the same, all the way to 20" and see what I find. I will be using different powders for the various lenghts, it will be interesting to see the results.

Kirk R

Kirk R

that was some good information to know, thats all I hear people say about the .243 so I never gave it a second look......until know so thanks for posting that.

Not yet Yoshi, RL-25 is the slowest I have tried, but H1000 has a similar burn rate. I am going from a 26" barrel down to a 24 or even 22", so I will most likely be going to RL-22 or even back to H-4350 again due to the shorter barrel length. If I can go to 22" and still stay supersonic out to 1500 I'm happy with that. I have a barrel that is getting up there in rounds so I was going to cut it from 26 down to 24" and record the data, then cut to 22" and do the same, all the way to 20" and see what I find. I will be using different powders for the various lenghts, it will be interesting to see the results.

Kirk R
do you have a thread on this and if so can you post a link
Thanks