• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62 LC Brass question

alpine44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
North Carolina
I have plenty of once fired LC brass sorted in lots ranging from 68 to 01.

I was thinking to trim the cases (they are already sized and pocket swaged) and then sort them by weight while ignoring the head stamp years. I would keep the cases falling in a narrow weight range and sell the rest to avoid mix-up.

Do the different years have variations (alloy, thickness distribution, etc.) that would create more problems than the weight difference?

Also, what weight tolerance would you look for?

Last edited:
I would sort by Head Stamp and then by weight.But if you are shooting 200-600 yards I do not think you will see a big difference in group size by sorting by weight.Sorting by volume is probably the best method.But that is some times is done by Bench Rest Crowd and Long Range shooters.It is really a personal choice how you sort brass.
There are so many variables in make quality reloads.
My top concerns for my ammo are consistent sizing of case,consistent neck tension and an Optimal Charge Weight that performs for my needs.

Good ammo is only one part of the equation .Proper shooting techniques and the ability to read the prevailing conditions and take corrective action to keep the bullet on target is key.

Hope this helps.

Regards Mike

if you sort into 2, 2 grain batches it should include 80 % of the brass - sell the rest

by headstamp year there would be too many small batches that would still include outliers by weight

We just discussed this on another site-m14forum-there are volume differences between the stuff from the 80s to the current stuff. For plinking, no problems, but if your loading anywhere near max I would sort by headstamp & weigh then workup.