• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x39 bolt guns - whatch'ya got?

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
I'm thinking about getting a 7.62x39 bolt action rifle, primarily to be used for plinking steel zombies. Ammo is cheap, it hits hard, the steel cries with every hit. I've heard about:

CZ 527
Savage 10 FCM Scout
Ruger Hawkeye

Most seem to be 'scout' size rifles, and many seem to have rather nice walnut stocks. Myself I'd prefer something more tactical like a plastic stock and as I'd like to put a compensator on the end.

Whatch'ya got and how does it shoot? Or what have you been eyeing that seems to be a fun rifle?

Re: 7.62x39 bolt guns - whatch'ya got?

I have the Ruger. Nothing "Tactical" about it, straight traditional steel and walnut hunting rifle in a compact size. Shoots well, 16" barrel. Wolf or Brown Bear ammo is out of energy at 500yds. Just hits the gong and falls down. AG

Everybody speaks well of the Ruger - I was hoping for a slightly longer barrel. Did you choose the Ruger over say..the Savage or CZ...for any particular reason?

I have the CZ for the single set trigger. Also its not a 400 yard gun so I wanted the short barrel

A buddy of mine has the CZ and I have shot it a few times. I love that little rifle and he refuses to sell it to me.

Guns

I guess Savage never produced any of the Model 11 FCNS even though their website says it comes chambered in 7.62x39...???

i've handled and shot the CZ 527 a few times, really like it. i like it so much that i'm considering one (eventually) for a brush-gun while deer hunting. it's only as accurate as the ammo you feed it, and with some good handloads i've seen impressive accuracy. that Set Trigger is AWESOME!

it would have been nice to have the same rifle with the option of a higher capacity magazine (think AK mags) just because the ammo is so damn cheap. yeah, i'm sick like that.

I have the Savage 7.62x39 10FCM Scout. I bought it as a fun rifle, a woodland deer rifle, a handloading project rifle to find accuracy in the cartridge with a rifle of sound and basically accurate construction, and a match trainer for my Grandkids. So far, nothing about the rifle has led me to consider that purchase to be a mistake.

With basic Tulmmo steelcase fodder and PMC Boxer primed FMJ, it runs at right around 1MOA-1 1/2MOA beyond 100yd, and gets consistent hits on a 10" gong at 250yd, which would be the max distance I'd want to be shooting it at for reasonable terminal effect. 110gr V-Max handloads are still a work in progress, but they shoot flatter, and look to be quite promising. For deer/hogs, the SRA 125gr Pro-Hunter Softpoint (designed for smaller cases like the .30-30) is probably just the ticket.

I removed the peep and Scout sight base, replacing it with Weaver conventional bases and rings and a Tasco 2.5-10x42 MilDot. The rifle showed enough reach and accuracy that I replaced this scope with a Tasco 6-24x42 MilDot for the longer distances, and it turned out to be a good combination for training the Grandkids about range estimation and longer shots.

For the kids, it's like a Cricket that grew up. For grownups, it a danged neat truck gun and probably a reliable hogbuster.

After putting a lot of time into 1Kyd shooting, my currently reachable faciliies are more modest, and I kinda think the LR cartridges are a bit of overkill at a maximum of 250yd. My match chambering is now .30BR, and my plinker/trainer is either .22lr or this Savage. They appear to fit this venue well.

I'm not going to try and pass this Scout off as a precision rifle. But for moderately less critical accuracy applicatons, and for reliable service with an economical eating habit; it's a keeper.

It's also a very nice compact rifle. The only thing a compensator would add is unneeded length; leave it off.

Greg

Greg, great post as usual, the beauty of the savage is the ease of barrel change, have you considered doing a 6.5 grendel or one of the 6MM ar rounds based of the 7,62x39 bolt face, the increase the reach of the rifle and its terminal ballistics a bit or the 7,62 is just good enough for what you are doing with it?

cheers.

Had some vague notions about PPC's. That's clearly some ways off in the future. I should live so long...

The 7.62 is plenty enough fun for the moment, and as accuracy goes, I'm guessing it's maybe not much more than a name change to make it into a .30PPC, especially with the 10 FCM's .308 bore (I think...).

If my .30BR is an effective indicator, such case capacities do not need long barrels to attain good accuracy/efficiency. I'm just guessing they probably come up a little short at distances beyond 250yd.

To the op. I chose the Ruger for the traditional styling and compactness. I wanted an easily scoped, light rifle. It weighs 7.0 lbs. with Burris FFII 3-9. AG

After a couple days it is clear most everybody loves their CZ, Ruger and Savage chambered in 7.62x39. My only hesitation with buying one this morning is concern over barrel jump while shooting steel targets.

I originally had a Mini-30 in 7.62x39 and had to install a JP compensator as the barrel jump after firing was preventing me from seeing my hits on steel gongs at 100 yards. Heck, that's half the fun watching it get hammered.
grin.gif
The compensator removed 99% of the jump and I was able to watch every hit after that. I sold the Mini-30 though.

I'm concerned any of these short barrel scout rifles mentioned here are going to jump me off target. It is unlikely I would thread the barrel to put the comp back on though. I want the bolt gun as they seem more accurate than the Mini-30 in 7.62x39, even with the cheap ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had some vague notions about PPC's. That's clearly some ways off in the future. I should live so long...

The 7.62 is plenty enough fun for the moment, and as accuracy goes, I'm guessing it's maybe not much more than a name change to make it into a .30PPC, especially with the 10 FCM's .308 bore (I think...).

If my .30BR is an effective indicator, such case capacities do not need long barrels to attain good accuracy/efficiency. I'm just guessing they probably come up a little short at distances beyond 250yd. </div></div>

got it, thank you for the education.

I have a Mini-30 fairly accurate will knock you down if used on you. What more could you ask for?? Holds 1/2" groups at 100 if I don't try to put 30 rounds there in 3 seconds and hold that moa out to 500 yds so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Mini-30 fairly accurate will knock you down if used on you. What more could you ask for?? Holds 1/2" groups at 100 if I don't try to put 30 rounds there in 3 seconds and hold that moa out to 500 yds so far. </div></div>

what kind of drop you getting at 500 yards? I can't say I've heard a lot of people shooting it that far!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
6035599245_bda46b244e_b.jpg
</div></div>

what is that?

Load data for 7.62X39 is fairly low pressure compared to more modern NATO and sporting rounds. I assume those are the pressures an AK or SKS are designed to handle. With decent brass, could you load it to higher pressure in a modern bolt gun? As long as the case is up to it, I would expect most any bolt gun of recent vintage could handle 50-60,000 PSI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go 7.62x39, use the original
wink.gif

4670.jpg
</div></div>

Is that Red Jackets first attempt at the 1K yard AK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go 7.62x39, use the original
wink.gif

4670.jpg
</div></div>

Is that Red Jackets first attempt at the 1K yard AK? </div></div>

LOL!!! Now THAT'S funny!!!!
laugh.gif