• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62X54R Reloading?

houghtonsurvival

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
Michigan
www.houghtonsurvival.com
Hey,

I would like to start getting into reloading. It seems that it would be more cost efficient to reload the shells vs. buying new ones.

I have a 1944 Mosin Nagant 91-30 that shoots 7.62X54R rounds. What would be the best way to start learning the process of reloading? Thanks!

Re: 7.62X54R Reloading?

i wouldnt bother reloading for a mosin, not worth it to me due to the inaccuracy of the gun and the cheap surplus ammo available for it. if you lucked out and got an accurate one then do it i guess but typically reloading is to gain accuracy which is something mosins arent known for

54R is so cheap it's easier to buy crates of it from aimsurplus than it is to buy the extremely expensive brass case boxer primed stuff and then setup to reload it. You could get close to 3k rounds of surplus for the cost of being able to reload around 250 rounds of brass.

buy yourself a reloading manual, i use nosler number 3 but my uncle has about five that i use also. good ones are hornady,barnes, nosler and such

So tell me. If I shoot a four inch group with a Nagant is it the cheap ammo or the old barrel? Is that cheap ammo capable of shooting less than 3 moa? 4 moa group with 3 moa ammo is potentially a 1.25 moa gun.

If you want to reload for it get a couple of boxes of Winchester Meteric or other boxer primed ammo. Shoot it for a groups, then slug your barrel and pick an appropriate bullet and load a few to a standard velocity. See what your group is with a couple of 5 shot groups. Then play with your charge weight. Contrary to the above posts so you are out some cash but you'll know if it is a decent rifle or a blaster for all that cheap surplus ammo. I wouldn't buy a batch of Lapua brass right off but it may prove worth it later.

The first thing you'll find is that your handload will be more consistant than most of the ammo you can buy.

I reload for the mosin, I know Im not gonna win the match with it so why? because I cant control myself reloading every freakin caliber I have! It's all part of the addiction/therapy

Depends on your Mosin...
Don't buy into the bullshit from those here that don't know any better.
The Mosin can definitely be worth handloading for...
Mine shoots right about at MOA, this is an average grouping at 100 meters, the flier was me...

174 grain SMK's over 43 grains of Varget:

IMAG0531.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

IMO, very few old surplus warhorses are gonna shoot "well" in the crappy stocks they're in. This one's in a Boyd's, but I've also pillar and receiver bedded another one in it's original stock, but haven't had her to the range yet:

IMAG0192.jpg

No rifle is going to shoot to it's potential with the action flopping around in the stock.

With that type of work, a good barrel with solid rifling, and the correct caliber bullet (you need to slug the barrel to check the bore/groove dia.), the Mosin Nagant WILL deliver...

I think a lot of Nam vets would tell you they didn't want to be in the crosshairs of one...

MosinNagantVZ59barrel16poundsastested7-28-2011.jpg

VZ59MosinNaganttarget100y180grSierra7-28-2011.jpg

I went to the range yesterday and fired the first 8 shots to go through that VZ59 machine gun barrel. It is not broken in yet. I had a 10 minute cease fire between the first two shots and the last shot of that group. During the cease fire, I walked the 100 yards and circled the two shots, so I would remember what I was doing.

Lapua brass, Rem 9 1/2 primer, Sierra .311" 180 gr Soft point #2310 moly coated, 47 gr Surplus IMR4895 = H322 in Quickload predicts 59.8kpsi 24" barrel 2744 fps

Who stole the rest of your barrel? Stock mods look like on I drew but haven't made yet. I'm bedding a cheap synthetic when I get home. It was a project gun that my step-father was working on before he died. Mine shoots about 6 inch group with a sling and surplus ammo. With my NM AR-15 I get about 2 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who stole the rest of your barrel? Stock mods look like on I drew but haven't made yet. .. </div></div>
I got that barrel from TN Guns
http://www.tnguns.com/shop/
It is unused VZ59 machine gun barrel, reworked to fit a Mosin Nagant.
I took some off and added an internally stepped sleeve to the barrel.
The stock I pillar bedded in the front and rear with 3/8" 1010 steel tubing. I used the existing steel recoil lug in the stock. Chanelling the stock for the bull barrel left almost nothing beyond the foregrip, so I milled, glued, and pinned an extension so I would have a place to mount the bipod.
MosinNagantrebarrelVZ59barreldrawing7-4-2011.jpg

VZ59barrelreworkedforMosinNagant9130andsleeveLoctite601forcylindricalshapes7-4-.jpg

PolishingVZ59barrelsleeve7-14-2011.jpg

Handloading is like many other progressively advanced passtimes.

The more time you spend reading up on the process before starting, the less time and money you'll spend on making beginners' mistakes.

You can also get caught up in sidetracks and extraneous activities all too easily, with many folks very happy to help you do it and help to you spend your money in the process.

Begin by adhering closely to the basic process.

You will have plenty of time to add complexity once you've perfected the basics. Goals should start simple, then progress toward improving firearm accuracy and handloading efficiency. While many treat the handloading process as an end in itself, for me it's more a means to an end.

Making ammo that displays no 'buggering about', shoots consistently and accurately, while working within well recognized safety margins, is an excellent set of initial goals.

While one can't shoot well with faulty ammo, going the extra mile and beyond may leave one tuckered and jaded without the expected payoff. This happens a bunch and can be very frustrating.

If (actually when...) you start to dread upcoming shooting activities because of the daunting prerequisite handloading labors is one of the best times to reevaluate your handloading regimen.

If you're like me (and probably many others), a time will come when you say 'awheckit' and cut some optimization corners; with a resulting surprise that results aren't actually as awful as one had imagined.

For me, this led to the realization that efforts and outcomes are on opposite sides of the balance, and that various approaches can lead to the same thing, a harmonious equilibrium.

For me, this has resulted in a trimming trend, where a small diminution in overall accuracy can be the result of some considerable savings in overall labor.

This will often be the result of preceding years of repetitious handloading experience, where we do the basic things with greater efficiency and consistency, and this contributes a better consistency. This helps make up for some of the expected advantages from more complex additional handloading steps.

I suspect that many of us handloaders reach this stage, where what we once did as a basic beginners' process eventually provides considerably better results, perhaps reducing any real need for more handloading complexities; simply because we've gotten better at it over time.

As a basic rule, my suggestion would be that whatever you do, take the time to get good at the individual steps. Learn to coax the full potential out of the simple tools.

Just as the accomplished indian can get the full potential out of any bow, the best arrowmakers often make the most refined arrows with the very simplest tools. It's at least as much about how you use the tools as it is about what those tools are.

Greg

Those who say a 54R won't shoot either, never have shot hand loads threw one, or can't shoot.
Lyman has two load books, one for std reloading, and the other for casting your own. Learn to cast, a skill an investment you won't regret, ever.
I've a rack 91/30 an M44, neither are too shabby when it comes to grouping w/hand loads. The 91/30 ain't all that bad w/issue yellow tip, either. Will they shoot as good as a stock LTR or Pss no. However I'll bet in proper hands, they will be standing at the end, if push came to shove.

Re-15, Varget, or BLC-(2) with .311 factory or .313 cast bullets do very will. Rolling your own with self cast bullets, gets you lots of cost effective, trigger time. Then as you learn how bullets fly, make changes to the weapon an load, the first hand experience you gain, will always trump internet B/S.

Elk an Moose have been one shot killed more than once w/197gr casts in a 91/30 only traveling at 1950fps M/V. If killing them with a 2K dollar stick topped w/a $1500.00 scope is your thing, go for it.

I started reloading to save money too. That has to be one the biggest oxy-morons. (sp?)

All I do now is shoot so much that I spend a hell of alot more in components than I ever did in factory ammo.

That being said, It is a hell of alot more fun, and I love it.

I was having trouble chambering once fired cases when i reloaded them in my Mosin.So i took abunch apart and full lenght sized them and they worked fine that way.Took the rifle to the 1000 yard range to test it as we were having a practice day for Black Powder cartridge 1000 yd match .I was just going to shoot them into the bank and some one said ,no shoot the target . So i got down prone and fired 7 shots in a row into the black with barrel sights at 1000 yards .Any man would be dead at that range. Arnie

Hello,

I get exceptional precision from my 91/30.

I have done the following:

"Finn'd" the trigger

Cork bedded the receiver and barrel

Installed one of my adjustable sights

Increased the LOP

If I get on it right <span style="font-style: italic">and wear my glasses</span> (something I hate to do), I can do half an inch to 1.5" at 100yds off a front rest, prone.

More often the groups are in the 2.5" to 3" range, but my reloads consist of pulled .310" bullets. I sort them, but they're still military surplus.

Fireforming the cases are one of the biggest helps I've found. They headspace on the shoulder and with the Mosin-Nagant being a push-feed rifle, they are supported at the rear by the bolt, as well.

The Finns would not have used the thing for their target rifle if it were not precise. They take a lot of medals this way, too!

Btw, slug your barrel if you've not. Most 91/30s are fairly loose, but I got lucky in that mine goes 0.299" x 0.309" and will shoot 0.308" and 0.310" bullets with equal precision.

I like to get my brass by buying loaded rounds and using them for plinking, then take the brass and reload it as it's already been fireformed. My preferred brand is Winchester, but Prvi Partisan is supposed to be good, too, and I plan on trying them soon.

My biggest problem is keeping in powder. I am primarily a handloader of handgun ammo, and I run through 1lb canisters quickly. I'm still trying to decide whether I like Varget, H338, or some other the best, and I'll invest in 5lbs or so when I figure it out. Still, it gets aggravating!

Regards,

Josh