• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 LRM vs 7-300 PRC

Anyone consider a 7 blaser? That looks to be an awesome case as well
I’ve also been looking into this. Short and wide cartridge that seems to be pretty efficient from what little I’ve been able to read about it.

I’ve also been looking into this. Short and wide cartridge that seems to be pretty efficient from what little I’ve been able to read about it.
Yeah kind of like a bigger saum case from what I seen. But it's hard to find everything for just like the lrm

Reactions: TrevK
Maybe I should of read better are you saying there not very good?
I like them well enough. I‘ve had 4 sets and they’ve all performed pretty well. Plus, they have a large selection of cartridges. If they happen to not have what you’re looking for, you can have them make a custom set. Many other manufacturers (like Forster) no longer do custom sets like the 260 AI dies Whidden made for me.

I was looking into the 28 Sherman mag but I don’t think the 7/300 prc needs anymore capacity as it is. Guess one could just go that route and down load it a little..

I ordered a 7/300 build from my Gunsmith a year ago. I just picked it up yesterday. I will provide updates as I go!

I ordered a 7/300 build from my Gunsmith a year ago. I just picked it up yesterday. I will provide updates as I go!
Awesome! Let us know. I am building a 26" 8.5tw 7lrm, also have a 22" 7-300prc. I bet the 7lrm outperforms with 5-6gr less powder. Granted the barrel length really helps.

Any more updates on the 7-300 PRC?
I'm curious what barrel life is like using H1000 and not stomping on the pressure

Any more updates on the 7-300 PRC?
I'm curious what barrel life is like using H1000 and not stomping on the pressure
Not the same but I have a 7mm-300 win mag. I use imr 8133 in it not crazy pressure I use it for long range target I was thinking 1000 rds. I have a hunting barrel same cal I'm sure it will go 1300 or more. Guys with 7 saums are usually around 1500 rds target.

Not the same but I have a 7mm-300 win mag. I use imr 8133 in it not crazy pressure I use it for long range target I was thinking 1000 rds. I have a hunting barrel same cal I'm sure it will go 1300 or more. Guys with 7 saums are usually around 1500 rds target.
Nice
How many rounds do you have through it, and have you measured throat erosion?
1000 rounds is about all a guy needs unless he's shooting matches all season

Nice
How many rounds do you have through it, and have you measured throat erosion?
1000 rounds is about all a guy needs unless he's shooting matches all season
I will double check round count tomorrow. I haven't measured anything yet I think I'm 300 rds into this barrel.

From what I've read/heard it will be on a long action. Essentially a 7 lrm. I almost waited on a 7 saum build in anticipation of it but have seen the long action info a couple times and decided I didn't want to wait.
Backfire on YouTube actually just had a video a few days ago talking about it. I believe he said hornady told him it's slated for fall release.
He also spoke about 6.8 western and lack of support from hornady, nosler, etc.

From what I've read/heard it will be on a long action. Essentially a 7 lrm. I almost waited on a 7 saum build in anticipation of it but have seen the long action info a couple times and decided I didn't want to wait.
Backfire on YouTube actually just had a video a few days ago talking about it. I believe he said hornady told him it's slated for fall release.
He also spoke about 6.8 western and lack of support from hornady, nosler, etc.
The saami 7prc and 7-300prc in this discussion are two completely different cases with near 10gr powder capacity difference. Fireformed 7Lrm holds 89gr powder, the new 7PRC will hold around 84gr. 7-300prc in the discussion, holds 95. I have an LRM and a 7/300prc.

Yes. That's what I'm saying.
However...been wrong before.
If you know someone...enlighten us.
I shoot a 280AI with 180 Bergers and its very good...about 3000 with 27" 9 twist barrel. 168s will touch 3100...and the gun shoots lights out.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I shoot a 280AI with 180 Bergers and its very good...about 3000 with 27" 9 twist barrel. 168s will touch 3100...and the gun shoots lights out.
that's still at least 100fps slower from at least 4 extra inches of barrel.
Not what I would consider "pushing the heavies the way a 7RM does"

that's still at least 100fps slower from at least 4 extra inches of barrel.
Not what I would consider "pushing the heavies the way a 7RM does"
3080 is pretty much top end accuracy wise with 180s in a 26" 7mm rm. I'd say his 280ai with 12gr less powder capacity is doing quite well at 3k fps. That's prob where a 7prc will land, 3050 or so. We all get hung up on 3100fps, it means F all inside 1k yards external ballistics wise.

Reactions: LRangepro
3080 is pretty much top end accuracy wise with 180s in a 26" 7mm rm.
says who?
These are both 3140 with 180 hybrids in a 23" pipe.
280ai less powder....sure.
more efficient ... probably.
But to be honest...I don't consider 180s to be "the heavies" either. Not anymore. When I built this rifle, 180 was one of the only commercially available in the 180 class *(I think matrix made a 190) but now there's LOTS of options and I would consider a 180 bullet to be on the low end of the heavy class.
I'm not pissing on the 280ai...but the whole point of the post (almost a year ago) was to determine if a 7 PRC would offer improvements over my existing set up...which it clearly does not. Especially when...for my use, it would require a new bolt.

IMAG2766.jpg
IMAG2728~2.jpg

says who?
These are both 3140 with 180 hybrids in a 23" pipe.
280ai less powder....sure.
more efficient ... probably.
But to be honest...I don't consider 180s to be "the heavies" either. Not anymore. When I built this rifle, 180 was one of the only commercially available in the 180 class *(I think matrix made a 190) but now there's LOTS of options and I would consider a 180 bullet to be on the low end of the heavy class.
I'm not pissing on the 280ai...but the whole point of the post (almost a year ago) was to determine if a 7 PRC would offer improvements over my existing set up...which it clearly does not. Especially when...for my use, it would require a new bolt.

View attachment 8238610View attachment 8238605
3140 from a 23" pipe, that's a lot of speed for the setup, def an exception rather the norm. What powder? Rl26, N570, N565? If using are standard single base powders like H1000 or Retumbo, that's def a very WARM load, and I wouldn't recommend anyone persue that velocity in a shorter barrel 7rm. But hey man it's your rifle, it obviously shoots well. You're running at 28 nosler speeds. I know my friends 26" 28N topped out with 180hyb at 3220 w/ Retumbo. Bartlein/Lone peak build, not junk or oem rifle. My 26" 7lrm which holds 3-4gr powder than a 7rm, runs nicely at 3100 with 180s from a 26" pipe. Maybe now that I'm pushing 40 my desire to run on the ragged edge just isn't there anymore.

3140 from a 23" pipe, that's a lot of speed for the setup, def an exception rather the norm. What powder? Rl26, N570, N565? If using are standard single base powders like H1000 or Retumbo, that's def a very WARM load, and I wouldn't recommend anyone persue that velocity in a shorter barrel 7rm. But hey man it's your rifle, it obviously shoots well. You're running at 28 nosler speeds. I know my friends 26" 28N topped out with 180hyb at 3220 w/ Retumbo. Bartlein/Lone peak build, not junk or oem rifle. My 26" 7lrm which holds 3-4gr powder than a 7rm, runs nicely at 3100 with 180s from a 26" pipe. Maybe now that I'm pushing 40 my desire to run on the ragged edge just isn't there anymore.
:cautious:...the powder is literally written on BOTH pictures.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
:cautious:...the powder is literally written on BOTH pictures.
My apologies, yes rl33 is a high energy dbl base powder, gives 100fps more than single based. Have fun and rock on. Rl33 is quite dirty and temp sensative, until you get the pressure up, for some oddity it's more stable and clean there when I used it in my 300nm imp. Idk if that's your experience in the 7rm or not.

My apologies, yes rl33 is a high energy dbl base powder, gives 100fps more than single based. Have fun and rock on. Rl33 is quite dirty and temp sensative, until you get the pressure up, for some oddity it's more stable and clean there when I used it in my 300nm imp. Idk if that's your experience in the 7rm or not.
I've not seen any issues with being excessively dirty, no more than anything else I've ever used, and significantly less than most Vihtavuori I have experience with. It's not exactly what I would call "Temp Sensitive" but there are others that are better, but for me, the juice is worth the squeeze.
Interesting you bring up the 300 NMI, as that's the next one I'm working on, and the plan is RL33 with 250 atips.
When 95% of your shots are between 50 and 80 degree, I don't think the 0.5 or .75 per degree is really going to wreak havoc on the ability of the cartridge.

I've not seen any issues with being excessively dirty, no more than anything else I've ever used, and significantly less than most Vihtavuori I have experience with. It's not exactly what I would call "Temp Sensitive" but there are others that are better, but for me, the juice is worth the squeeze.
Interesting you bring up the 300 NMI, as that's the next one I'm working on, and the plan is RL33 with 250 atips.
When 95% of your shots are between 50 and 80 degree, I don't think the 0.5 or .75 per degree is really going to wreak havoc on the ability of the cartridge.
I could be hunting early season and it's 70° or 0° in late season here in Montana. I ended up using N570 for the majority of life in the 300nmi.

Quality factory ammo availability will be the number one answer I believe. The PRC cartridges are a hit because of it.

Quality factory ammo availability will be the number one answer I believe. The PRC cartridges are a hit because of it.
A good friend of mine(and a good shooter) just had Unknown Munitions build him a 7prc. Factory eldX ammo is moa to slightly sub moa for most part, but factory eldm is like 2 moa, garbage es of like 60. 68gr H1000 with 180hyb seated 60k jump shoots consistently small. Factory ammo isn't the answer in all rifles.

3080 is pretty much top end accuracy wise with 180s in a 26" 7mm rm. I'd say his 280ai with 12gr less powder capacity is doing quite well at 3k fps. That's prob where a 7prc will land, 3050 or so. We all get hung up on 3100fps, it means F all inside 1k yards external ballistics wise.
I honestly have never chased any more velocity as it shot SO well and the match limit was 3100 anyway. I do believe it will go faster but I dont really need more.