• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 mm rem mag question

Jmilera

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Gents I am in need of advise on my load. I am loading for a 7 mm rem mag
Accuracy international AW with a 1-9 bartlein 26 inch rifle. This is a GAP barrel.
My load is 64.5 H 4831 under a 180 vld Berger. Velocity 2864 with no pressure signs, 1/4 moa load.
I would like to get more velocity out if it, but all literature says I am over max loads. There are no pressure signs in my rifle. Easy bolt lift, no brass shavings, and no flat primers. What do you advise as far as what I can do to get more velocity out of this powder bullet combo. I don't have any other powder , but I have an excess ammout of h4831sc? Thanks gents

RL-22, H-1000, IMR-4350, RL-19 all might be worthy.

I mean...it's a 180gr bullet traveling at 2864 fps, so how fast do you expect to get it going?

If ain't ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chris

Thanks for the advise gent, but Mr Garret reminded me of what my grandfather always told me, and he was right.
Thanks.

Notes from 10-18-2010

7mmRM
a) 70 Re22 180 gr VLD 3.48" 78kpsi loaded 45 [already pressure threshold tested] decap, reprime, 15 WW half hard going in, one RP easy in.
..1) Ruger #1 26" barrel, 6X scope, , 3016, 3023, 3030 fps, and 0.82" 3 shot group at 100 yards from the bag 11 pounds with scope, sling, bi pod
..2) 1908 Braz Mauser 26" stainless M70 take off barrel, VX3 20X scope, 2949, 3023, 3009, 3016, 3030, 3030.

Ream it to a 7mm STW, otherwise quit while you have all your body parts. A 7mm Rem Mag going 2869 with a 180 gr. bullet is maxed out.

A 7mm Rem Mag going 2869 with a 180 gr. bullet is maxed out.
My .284 with 52 grs RE17 sends a 180 at 2850fps. Stepping up to a 7RM and RE22 and adding 10+ grains of powder only gets me 19 fps?

Whether or not your bullets are coated, the pressure limit usually provide sufficient data to deem maximum. Don't dismiss advantage.

Stoke it, but don't smoke it!

Depending on the bullet, I run 9,10, or 11 grains more than the Hodgdon max published load for H4350 in my 7mm Rem Mag rifles.

That is ~~ 2 grains less than the threshold of a loose primer pocket.

Mark Twain once said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and 7mmRemMag published data."

Graham,

Ive had very good results with '22, but have stayed with Retumbo for 2 reasons. Better velocity and temp stability.

This is great info gents, and I do plan to use retumbo one day when it isn't eaten up by my 338L. I use 4831 because I have 40sh pounds on hand. Like I said no indications of over pressure, but you never know. I only need 7.5 mils to 1000. So that ain't bad, I simply wanted to know if anyone had pushed it faster with H4831. I think the consensus is why more speed if what I am getting is sufficient. I agree with that!!!!
I still would like to know what length of barrel the 284 with a 180 is running??

There are a general rules of shooting, obviously, but there is room for exceptions: If a v8 in one car is outperformed by a v6 in another, its okay though the performance is an exception.

The headstamp is general. "Holy Toledo, Batman!" performance is peculiar to the piece producing it, and pleasing to the shooter inasmuch as performance is a welcomed expense. "How fast do you want to spend?" --Glenn Zediker.

Retumbo....

I was shooting next to a guy loading 175gr bullets in a Sendero II with a nice barrel on it and he was having good results with Retumbo.

I'm shooting a Sendero v.1 and with my twist, I've stuck with 168s and under, so Retumbo hasn't been on my radar, but yeah...it works with the heavies and 7RM.

Chris