• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 Rem Mag

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
Why does no one use the 7 rem mag for long range shooting? Too much recoil? The 260's and such that much better, barrels wear out to quick? Why no 7 rm love anywhere?

I'm slowly building my Rem. 700 in 7 mm rem mag.
Wanted to go 338 lapua but just don't have deep enough pockets.
300 win mag was the other option but ballistics set me on the 7mm.

Nothing wrong with using a 7mm Mag for long range shooting. Just the 260 is more efficient for target shooting. Similar trajectory as a 300 Mag, less recoil, less powder, higher bc bullet.

Then again, I'm still shooting a 308, lol.

The 7mm with 162's or 168's provide for a great combination and are a bit softer in recoil compared to a 300wm pushing 208's, 215's or 220's to equal the trajectory. I'd only go 300wm if I needed additional energy on target or if I didn't reload. Wind drift should be less with the heavy 30cal bullets, but reading the wind is part of the game.

I know a fellow hide member just finished a custom 7 mag build. Maybe he will share. Not his first LR either.

Had this one built for long range by APA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
I shoot a lot of long range in the back country, and stay away from the narrow necked rounds that go faster than 3000 fps because of throat erosion, and increased copper fouling. My guns don't get the luxury of being cleaned after 20 rounds when I'm way out, so I've stuck with .308, .300 Win, and .338 Lapua. If I went smaller, it'd be a 6.5 Lapua. I DO like the 7mm though...I just never had a spot in my quiver for it that one of my other guns couldn't fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 grains of powder !! That's y I don't !! With that said they are magnificent with the 180s and hit like THORS hammer !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 grains of powder !! That's y I don't !! With that said they are magnificent with the 180s and hit like THORS hammer !!

Yeah but my 300 uses 79.2 Gr! :)

I launch a 190 VLD at 3060, it's just been so accurate I have been honestly scared about switching ANYTHING! Lol

I've looked at a 7 mag before I build this, I think It a great cartridge as well. I just built a 6.5 lapua I think they complement each other very nice.

My opinion only:heavy gun= 260 has some modest recoil, 7mm has some modest recoil, 300 win has some modest recoil, 338 edge with a good break has modest recoil. Light gun=ya allot more recoil. For hunting light game the 7mm mag is overkill and for heavy game it's underkill. For general target shooting it has great ballistics until you compare it down to the 260 or up to a heavy loaded 300 or 338. Not bad at anything but not king of anything either.

I am completely confused by your post. So my 7mm 180vld have a higher BC than the 6.5 my 168s also slightly higher and I can drive the 7mm at 3100fps.. So how do you figure the 260/6.5 bullet out performs the 7mm ?

ELR -- the 7 shines --

I meant down in expense and recoil (260 etc) or up in performance and barrel life with comparably loaded 300=230gr 338=300gr Thats all.

Last edited:
The 7 rem mag is a seriously capable all round and long range Cal , manageable recoil without a break , I shoot 168g Amax at 3075fps
and its devastating on Deer , my longest shot to date is 740 yards and it still has plenty beyond that. Easy to get brass , inherently accurate round
reasonable barrel life , Its a hunters cartridge more than a comp cartridge in my opinion.