• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 saum

Is the Norma brass not doing it for you? I got 200 pieces for christmas but still waiting on the barrel

Powder speed and barrel length play in. I did testing with mag primers and lots of spread in my ES and SD. I have found that I typically don’t have good luck with mag primers in anything shooting less than 70 grains of powder. Check or the article, similar findings to mine.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/reloading/magnum-primers-for-non-magnum-loads/

I noticed a lot of you guys' loads are with standard LR primers. Any strategy with this or is it just what you have on hand?

Reactions: Shoots 700's
Well that’s good to hear because I have a ton of lr primers I don’t have a use for in anything else

7 saum is gaining a lot of popularity in F-class. Berger supports F-class a great deal. Lapua and Berger are now affiliated with one another so....

I was surprised at how good the Norma brass has been. I typically run Lapua but they are not playing the short mag game yet, so I went with 100 pieces Norma. No culls, no complaints. That being said. I have emailed Lapua. They essentially said they have had lots of inquiries, especially on he 7 SAUM so in the future they could start producing it so fingers crossed

7 saum is gaining a lot of popularity in F-class. Berger supports F-class a great deal. Lapua and Berger are now affiliated with one another so....

I want to shoot this caliber yesterday.

Played with the load today. Shot over my chrono and by my buddies labradar. Found my best load for the 162's. 3210 fps average with 13 ES and 6 SD according to the LabRadar. 3218 fps average with 12 ES and 6 SD. This was at 64.1 grains of H-1000 .005 off the lands. Shot 2 groups of 0.25" @ 100 and one group of 0.20". Going to 1,300 yards next weekend will report back after that.

The 65.5 grain load (same as the 3327 load from last week) was 3301 FPS average 31 ES and 13 SD with Labrador and 3319 with 28 ES and 13 SD on my chrono. So no malfunction on the chrono's part. Just a slick barrel I guess. 3 groups were all between .3 & .45" No pressure signs at all.

Going to go with the 3210 load due to the group size and SD. Loading up 50 for next weekend. The other 50 will by my 180 Eld load going 2930. Depending on how they perform I'll narrow down to the more accurate load then try for 1,760, 2,000 and 2,500.

I have been shooting a 7mm saum for years. I currently have 7 barrels chambered and ready to go for my 2 full custom 7mm saums. I have also shot out several . I change my own barrels etc. I say this to prove how familiar I am with this cartridge . Speeds of 162 grain bullet at over 3300 is either from an extra long barrel 32-34 inches, a result of a faulty chrono or excessive pressure. I would hate to see people try to duplicate that speed as it would be down right dangerous. I am sure you will hear from others.

I’ve had friends with 162s going 3000fps from a 22” barrel pretty reliably.

At 30” barrel assuming 25fps per inch of barrel that would put you around 3200fps give or take depending on load and barrel variable.

I agree to get to 3300fps you’re looking at a probable chronograph error, really long barrel, a barrel that’s a freak of nature, or loads are really hot.

Not saying it’s impossible but something doesn’t add up at first glance.
Your 1.948 coal seems really short especially with 65.5grains of powder. I’m not even sure that’s possible.

Brass length alone for my saum cases measure 2.020” after turning and trimming.

Reactions: jafo96
great info guys et al. I am working on a new hunting load right now for the 175 ELD-X and or the 175 Elite Hunter. I picked up some RL26 to play with. its crazy hot here in TX so i am working on it slowely.

going to start 60.5 RL26 and go from there.

great info guys et al. I am working on a new hunting load right now for the 175 ELD-X and or the 175 Elite Hunter. I picked up some RL26 to play with. its crazy hot here in TX so i am working on it slowely.

going to start 60.5 RL26 and go from there.

What part of Texas? I’m in San Antonio area.

I tried mag feeding the 183 in a short action (accurate mags, 2.945 oal), got 2830 with 57.5 h4831 and 2920 with 62.5 H1000. I'm not gonna run this anymore as the bullet oal variance is enough to bind up feeding and I'm leaving visible marks on the bullets when seating due to the large amount of powder crunching. I'm going to run it in a long action for testing oal, and if that works out maybe move to a defiance xm setup, however I do want to see if the xm mags prove out.

Is the Norma brass not doing it for you? I got 200 pieces for christmas but still waiting on the barrel

Any chance you want to sell the brass? I'll pay top dollar for it. Have a brand new rifle and no brass right now.

Any chance you want to sell the brass? I'll pay top dollar for it. Have a brand new rifle and no brass right now.

I have 300 once fired Norma cases I would be willing to sell if you're interested.

Looking to build a 7SAUM on a Nucleus SA, anybody have some wisdom on what reamer I want to shoot 180gr ELDMs?

PTG standard 7 SAUM for my build. Loaded for mag length and can load out to .02 off of the lands with 180 ELDM’s over H1000 between 2900 and 2950 FPS, and feed from a WSM mag from accurate mag with no issues. If you want to bury in the lands you’ll need additional freebore.

Looking to build a 7SAUM on a Nucleus SA, anybody have some wisdom on what reamer I want to shoot 180gr ELDMs?

Reactions: dgheriani
In the process of putting together a 7 SAUM this spring. I got my hands on some new Bertram brass. It seems I'm reading about guys having issues with the Bertram brass. Thinking I should sell it and go with Norma. What do you all think?

I'm running an Defiance XM action can load to 3.25" Barrel length 26" SAAMI Reamer throated to .225 freebore
Bertram Brass
215M
185 RDF COAL 3.10
60.5 RE 23
MV 2930
G7 BC .361

I'm running an Defiance XM action can load to 3.25" Barrel length 26" SAAMI Reamer throated to .225 freebore
Bertram Brass
215M
185 RDF COAL 3.10
60.5 RE 23
MV 2930
G7 BC .361
Scott,
I'll have to pick your brain about the SAUM next time I see you at a match. Thanks for the info.
Tavis

Reactions: sstacllc
7 SAUM loaded long in my DT, 26” barrel. This barrel is actually for sale but I’ll probably recreate this combo in my ATR rifle.

180 ELDMs @ 3.10”
62.5 gr R26
Norma Brass
Tula mag primer

0516C2C8-2A12-46DA-B374-8086EE37C003.png

Reactions: PowPowHawg and BCX
My load in a stock barreled Rem 700 BDL that is bedded with a tweaked trigger and extended Wyatt’s box is:
Norma brass @ 2.025”
CCI BR-2
IMR 7977 @ 66.0 grains
HbN coated 168 VLD @ 2.915” for 0.050” jump
2940fps average with an SD of 9
This load holds 0.5 MOA, if I do my part, out to 750 yards.

I jumped into the 7SAUM world with a factory 700 SS. Put it in a Manners SL stock with M5 inlet so I can use Accurate Mag 300 WSM mags and load out to 2.95”. Mainly will use for hunting deer and elk.

Checked the distance to lands and I’m off the lands at 2.95 so all good there.

R-P 7SAUM brass, and use Tula LRM primers. I also have Fed 210GM and 215GM on hand.

I’d like to start with the 168 VLD. I have H-1000, RL26, RL23, RL16 on hand.

Could someone point me to some starting loads?

IDK never used RE22
I’d u
I jumped into the 7SAUM world with a factory 700 SS. Put it in a Manners SL stock with M5 inlet so I can use Accurate Mag 300 WSM mags and load out to 2.95”. Mainly will use for hunting deer and elk.

Checked the distance to lands and I’m off the lands at 2.95 so all good there.

R-P 7SAUM brass, and use Tula LRM primers. I also have Fed 210GM and 215GM on hand.

I’d like to start with the 168 VLD. I have H-1000, RL26, RL23, RL16 on hand.

Could someone point me to some starting loads?
I’d use starting loads for R25, R22 and R17 for the reloader powders you listed. The burn rates are a little different but not too much. You would be safe starting a grain higher than the starting loads in my opinion.

I would encourage all 7mm saum owners and potential owners to email Lapua asking them to make brass for it. If everyone keeps asking it may happen.

Reactions: gnatmm
I would encourage all 7mm saum owners and potential owners to email Lapua asking them to make brass for it. If everyone keeps asking it may happen.

I've sent one from each of my 5 emails. The response I got last was that they have been getting lots of inquiries about the WSM & the SAUM, specifically the 7mm versions. So fingers crossed the 7SAUM will be one of the first when they do start manufacturing them.

162 ELDX
1:9 5r 25" Barrel
58.5gr H4831SC
MV 2750 fps
.75" 10 shot groups at 200 yards.
Best group ever of 11 shots @ 500 yards 2.09"
Not a speed demon load by any means, but shoots lights out. Plus the brass lasts forever.
Has to be the easiest cartridge I've ever load for.

Reactions: wwg1wga
I've sent one from each of my 5 emails. The response I got last was that they have been getting lots of inquiries about the WSM & the SAUM, specifically the 7mm versions. So fingers crossed the 7SAUM will be one of the first when they do start manufacturing them.
The new ADG brass is great

Gunwerks has 7 saum as well. May give that a try. Saw a couple places it may be made by ADG

Anyone tried SW4350 in their 7 SAUM? RL26 is nowhere to be found and my 7 SS is should be ready in two weeks.

I tried rl26 and ended up going with H1000. It grouped tighter with the 180eldm and still over 2900 in a SA mag length
Anyone tried SW4350 in their 7 SAUM? RL26 is nowhere to be found and my 7 SS is should be ready in two weeks.

Reactions: jafo96
I tried rl26 and ended up going with H1000. It grouped tighter with the 180eldm and still over 2900 in a SA mag length

What length barrel? I've got H1000 but RL26 has been the ticket for our 6.5SAUM and figured it would be for the 7 SS too.