• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 action torque question help!

Nowayimissed

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2011
I just put my new sps in my new stock and I want to know what it needs to be torqued down to?

Re: 700 action torque question help!

I torque mine in a B&C with bedding block to 64in/lbs, why? because my driver is graduated in 4s, and 65in/lbs is sorta the standard. Stock bottom metal, no issues. If you don't have pillars or a block you probably shouldn't go so high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I torque mine in a B&C with bedding block to 64in/lbs, why? because my driver is graduated in 4s, and 65in/lbs is sorta the standard. Stock bottom metal, no issues. If you don't have pillars or a block you probably shouldn't go so high.
</div></div> my driver is the same way, im gonna torque it today

1/4x28 bolts should be torqued 50-70 in lbs. Make sure the bolts and threaded areas of the action DO NOT have any lubricant on them. If there is oil or any grease on the threads, your torque will be waaaay more than the setting on the torque wrench. Come up slow and smooth on the torque wrench. Do not use quick jerky motion. Let the torque wrench do its job.

Most of the value of torque is used up in overcoming friction, not actual clamping force.