• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

700 MLR Project...DONE!!!!!

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
Finally got caught up working on everyone else's projects and got my MLR project off the ground.

As an update (8/04/2010), the barreled action is back from my 'smith and assembled and the bolt is back from Keith at AZ Precision.

A special thanks to the guys here that contributed to my project and a big thumbs up for AZ Precision and Triad Tactical!

Here's the skinny on her as she sits rigged in the pics,

>Stock 700 MLR action with Badger FTE brake and AZ Precision Phoenix knob

>Stock HS Precision furniture with custom paint, texturing and flush cups. A bit of my handy work!
wink.gif

>Optics, Badger 20 MOA rail, SEI 30mm lows and Burris XTR 6x24x50 glass with 1 MOA elev. and 1/4 MOA wind

>Eagle khaki stock pack, TIS tan slip cuff with push button hardware, Harris S-BRM leg-notch w/Pod-Loc

On to the pics!

100_0722.jpg

100_0726.jpg

100_0723.jpg

100_0725.jpg

Re: 700 MLR Project up and running

Here's a few pics of the start.

100_0702.jpg

100_0703.jpg

Shot of the bedding for you guys....

100_0710.jpg

Front flush cups.......

100_0705.jpg

Rear flush cup....

100_0706.jpg

Grip texturing.....

100_0707.jpg

100_0708.jpg

100_0709.jpg

I didn't know you could put flush cups on an HS stock. It looks awesome. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how this turns out.

Damn, that is AWESOME. i love my PSS stock but the work you have dobe is orders of magnitude better. That is hella sweet!!

Paulu

like the coloring and textures. What caliber n barrel length are thinking. Also what does MLR stand for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.81star</div><div class="ubbcode-body">like the coloring and textures. What caliber n barrel length are thinking. Also what does MLR stand for? </div></div>

It's Remingtons .338 Lapua

Thanks for the comments guys! As dmg308 stated, this is the stock for my 700 MLR in 338LM. Looking forward to getting her finshed out and a range report for you guys.

As an update, just dropped the barreled action off at the 'smith's a little while ago. Should have her back before long with a Badger FTE break strapped to the front end!

Thanks again guys on the feedback. Look forward to updating you guys on the progress of the project.

Stay tuned for further!

Great looking rifle! I really like the texture job!

Update for you guys, bolt on its way back from Keith at AZ Precision. He gave it a new Phoenix knob. Patiently waiting to get the barreled action back complete with the Badger FTE and just got an order in from Steve at Triad.Tactical.

Stay tuned for further!

Very nice Dawg!
I'm currently looking for an MLR and you are not helping my patience...:)

How did you install the cups?
What sling and mounts are you going to use with them?

-T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice Dawg!
I'm currently looking for an MLR and you are not helping my patience...:)

How did you install the cups?
What sling and mounts are you going to use with them?

-T </div></div>

Thanks for the comment on the work mrt! The flush cup install is pretty straight forward. Here's a write up by our very own <span style="font-weight: bold">USMCj</span>,

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1708610

I use a similar technique and have installed several of these for guys. I do a lot of custom stock work and the flush cups are the way to go. As for the sling and hardware, it's a T.I.S. Slip-Cuff with the push button swivels purchased from Steve at Triad Tactical. He is one of our Hide vendors and a great guy to do business with.

I'm looking for ways to get away from the moving sling swivels. What do you think of this idea? Putting one my SR15.
e57ef65a.jpg

It's KAC and it aint cheap
smile.gif
$60....
Once mounted it evidentally doesnt move.

-T

Another update.....barreled action back from the 'smith. Just waiting to get the bolt back from AZ Precision, should be here any day now. More pics to come, stay tuned!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WE NEED MORE PICS!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Here ya go my friend, new pics up of the finished project!!! Look forward to getting you guys a range report soon!

How did you put the flush cups in the HS stock? I know the basic idea of how to put them in other stocks, but did you anchor the front to the aluminum channel? What did you do with the hollow area in the back?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I want to do this to mine, but I was told that the cups would be unreliable because of how these stocks are made.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for ways to get away from the moving sling swivels. What do you think of this idea? Putting one my SR15.
e57ef65a.jpg

It's KAC and it aint cheap
smile.gif
$60....
Once mounted it evidentally doesnt move.
</div></div>

That's been the perfect setup for my 16" AR Krieger Recon, I use them with HK hooks.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/sniper907/Recon.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you put the flush cups in the HS stock? I know the basic idea of how to put them in other stocks, but did you anchor the front to the aluminum channel? What did you do with the hollow area in the back?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I want to do this to mine, but I was told that the cups would be unreliable because of how these stocks are made.

Thanks! </div></div>

Iggy,

No problem on the questions my friend. As for the install on the HS stocks, there is more than enough "meat" in the stock to hold the flush cups in without a problem. I use a slightly undersized forstner bit (1/2") and drill to depth on the fore end and into the buttstock.

After I get the holes to depth on the fore end, I open the holes slightly to aloow the flush cups to thread into the stock itself. Afterwards, I use Marine-Tex to hold them into place.

The buttstock is a different story though. On the side of the stock, there is around 1/4"-3/16" of 'glass. Cut through with the forstner bit as in the fore end and open up the holes and thread the cups in as before. The only difference is that I use the foam insulation in the hollow recess of the stock and let it set up prior to Marine-Texing the side in place.

The bottom cup on the toe of the buttstock is another story as well. I remove the rear sling stud and fill the hole with Marine-Tex and sand/blend it in after it cures. I go about 3/4"-1" ahead of it and drill for the bottom cup as stated before following the same steps. Where it differs is that after it is installed, you have to smooth it out with Marine-Tex on the right and left sides of the toe of the stock. If not, it leaves a couple of threaeds exposed on either side of it.

See attached pic of the finished cup in the toe of the stock......

100_0706.jpg

After the install, I attached the sling in all four cups and tested them to make sure they would hold. Mind you, I wrapped the sling around a steel post in my work area and they had no problem holding when I torqued on them.

Hope this answers your questions my friend.

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I ordered some flush cups from McMillan and I'll use JB weld and see how it goes.

Man that looks great! Has me thinking maybe the MLR is a good start for a .338 build!

What did you use to texture the stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I ordered some flush cups from McMillan and I'll use JB weld and see how it goes. </div></div>

Glad to help my friend, good luck on your install. Let me know if I can help.

Da-Law-Dawg, nice looking rig, I'm sure it shoots as good as it looks!

One question, what is the barrel diameter at the muzzle? I just got a Howa heavy barreled action that is 0.825" in diameter at the muzzle and I'm thinking about putting the FTE on as well. Just wondering what it would look like.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man that looks great! Has me thinking maybe the MLR is a good start for a .338 build!

What did you use to texture the stock? </div></div>

Marine-Tex was used for texturing, bedding and flush cup install.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Da-Law-Dawg, nice looking rig, I'm sure it shoots as good as it looks!

One question, what is the barrel diameter at the muzzle? I just got a Howa heavy barreled action that is 0.825" in diameter at the muzzle and I'm thinking about putting the FTE on as well. Just wondering what it would look like.

Thanks!
</div></div>

Thanks Pete. As for the muzzle diameter, it was close to the Howa's muzzle diameter. Can't remember the exact spec but was a tad over .8", about .820" if memory serves me right.

Thanks guys on all the comments regarding the project!

As an update, I got the MLR to the range yesterday and finally got to burn some powder. I have been more than pleased with her to say the least.

After the break-in session, the rifle showed absolutely no signs of copper fouling running BH 300gr SMK factory ammo. I set down and ran my first 5 shot string with Lapua factory 250gr Scenar ammo. I was accompanied that outing by Hide member <span style="font-weight: bold">deh223</span> as he'd never had the opportunity to see a 338LM in action.

After the initial 5 shot string was fired, he asked how it looked. I managed a grin and said, "Let's take a walk.". After a short stroll to the 100 yard line, he was amazed at how well the MLR shot. I was tickled pink myself and pulled the target for posterity sake.

I dont want to violate the group shot policy by posting a pic of a single group, but the initial string mic'd out at a very respectable <span style="font-weight: bold">.461"</span>! As stated, deh223 here witnessed the string and I can say I am more than happy with the rifle! Can't wait to see what a little load development will do for her in the very near future.

Thanks again all!

Nice report mate, very happy to see a worked MLR up here. I dont think they get the attention the deserve.

Good work on the flush cups as well
laugh.gif

Nice rifle!

What kind of paint did you use for the stock?

nice job on the flush cups. looks great. i was worried about them staying in there.