• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 PSS DM

MPD464

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2006
E. Arkansas
Just picked up a slightly used PSS with DM. Searching here I've heard that the factory DM system isn't that great. I've also learned that you cannot turn a factory DM into a BDL without a new receiver. So that leaves me with getting a new DM system (Badger, Seekins, HS, etc). Will an aftermarket DM system work on a factory DM receiver? I've searched the site and found a few threads that ask the question but no definite answers. I'm sure I missed something or mis-read. Been a long night and I wouldn't put it past me to fail to understand 2+2=4.

Re: 700 PSS DM

The H.S system should fit straight in, i had to remove a little material with a dremel. I did it my self easy job,took a minuet.
As Badger,and the rest a little more work.
I know people have fitted them,the mag well on the stock needs enlarging.
It can be done with a dremel,better let a smith do this with a milling machine.

The H.S system needs to be set up correctly or it will shoot like crap,the Badger system as build pillars so pillars in the trigger guard.
This gives the critical distance for the bolt to pick up the rounds.

If you plan on changing the factory DM setup plan on changing the factory DM stock as well. The factory DM bottom metal is totally different then any other. You can fill it and make it work but it will look like crap.

What are you planning to do with the rifle? The factory Rem 700 DM isn't the best but it works.

Get a couple of mags. I have a couple that work great, one that feeds OK but is a pain to seat, and one that likes to spit the last round or two out. I havn't been able to tweek it into performance so I just use it last.

They only hold 4 rounds. You can throw one in the chamber and push down on the top round, close the bolt and be loaded with 5.

When seating the loaded mags in my gun it works best to push the mag straight up almost all the way and then only push on the front of the mag the last 1/8th inch. This gives the most reliable latching.

If you need more than this, move up to Badger and AW mags or sell the gun. DC

I say try it as is and see how it goes. I bought a new one about 9 or 10 years ago and it worked fine for me but like mentioned above they can be a hit and miss thing with mags.

It all depends on how much you want to invest I guess.

I have a LTR w/ the factory DBM that has been totally reliable w/ all 6 mags.
I also got a Jerry Rice rifle from "Tactical" that had the factory DBM that was also reliable.Jerry and Mike worked out a couple of tweaks on the Rem system that semmed to make it very reliable. I did change it out to the HS system [mainly because I was already changing out the stock] and found it to be a workable system also. The HS system seems to feed a little easier ; I believe due to its single stack mag.

I'd say give what you have a try.

FWIW
Wes in Az

Please forgive my ignorance, but given a Rem 700 short action of any caliber, I thought the action itself is the same across, albeit with a different bolt face?

If this is true, why would you require a different action/receiver to convert a factory DBM into a BDL setup? Don't you just replace the mag and get a new BDL hinged bottom metal? Getting a bit confused because from what I am reading here, it sounds like there is something physically different with a factory action that uses the factory DBM setup than others.

Please clarify this for me. Thanks.

Peter

The DBM model action does not have feed rails...the rails are part of the DBM. If you put a BDL floor and follower in it, the follower would be sitting in the ejection port......

Clear as mud??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DBM model action does not have feed rails...the rails are part of the DBM. If you put a BDL floor and follower in it, the follower would be sitting in the ejection port......

Clear as mud?? </div></div>

Thanks much! I've only seen non-DBM actions so not being very successful in seeing this DBM action in my head, but I understand your explanation. Thanks.

I just posted on another thread in the reloading section. I picked up the Badger Ordnance DM simply because it uses the AI mags which allow up to 2.9" OAL cartridge versus the stock unit or the HS DM which only allows 2.8" OAL cartidge.

This may not be important to you, but if you plan on seating the bullets just off the lands, the Badger unit is the way to go. I load the 175Gr. SMK's to 2.89" OAL, appoximately .10 off the land for best accuracy, and still get to use the magazine and have a repeater rifle.

i made a single shot follower for mine. dont find myself needing to reload that fast.

but if i had the scratch, id opt for badger. for above stated reason.