• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 PSS??

I know, but that one has had zero issues.
My buddy bought a 700 LR 300 WM just before Remington went bankrupt. Some of the worst QC Remington's made. He got it really cheap with a Magpul Hunter and the original stock. It had a nasty burr on the bolt rails which he filed and stoned smooth. People get an idea that rifles of a certain era are poorly made. It's all on a case-by-case basis.
1707313347359.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ
I'm gonna chime back in here....can anybody tell me what the the toque spec should be on the receiver screws? Reminder, this stock isn't bedded...no pillars. I'm hoping to make it to the range tomorrow after work.

Last edited:
Here's a couple pics. I threw an old Redfield Tracker 3-9x on there I've had for years. This is just temporary to put holes in paper to see how it groups @ 100 yds.

Attachments

• IMG_20240208_161915000.jpg
    IMG_20240208_161915000.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20240208_161851733.jpg
    IMG_20240208_161851733.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 53
I'm gonna chime back in here....can anybody tell me what the the toque spec should be on the receiver screws? Reminder, this stock isn't bedded...no pillars. I'm hoping to make it to the range tomorrow after work.
Here's what I do with all mine...

Wood stock BDL or any model with an aluminum floor plate (no pillars no bed block): 45 inch-pounds

Wood or Fiberglass or "other" with steel or aluminum pillars or a full bedding block: 65 inch-pounds.

65 is what HS Precision (and several others) recommends for their stocks, as well.

I recommend running the torque up sequentially. Start with the front screw, run it up to about 35, then do the rear screw to 35...Just to make sure the stock can handle it (shouldn't be an issue unless there's hidden cracks or weak spots you are unaware of). Give it a second, and then run the front screw to 45. Then the rear screw to 45. Also, do it with the butt of the rifle on the bench or ground, and the weight of the barreled action is pressing downward to ensure the recoil lug is touching the back of the recess, so under recoil is doesn't move around.

Make sure you're using an INCH-Pounds torque wrench.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prisoncop
Sick day!!!! Went through the rifle this morning and torqued everything as it should be. I did not realize this Redfield Tracker does not have clicks!! SOB!! Anyhow, got on paper at 50 yards, not grouping too bad. Took it out too 100 and this is how it printed off the bench sand bagged. Not great, not horrible. I drank a bit too much coffee this morning and I think that had a bit of effect on my heartbeat. This is Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain. I took out some 168 but didn't fire any. I definitely see a new scope on this in the near future. Not sure what route I'm gonna go there. I'm still on the fence with bedding the stock but I know it would tighten things up. Comments? Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_155216955_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240212_155216955_HDR.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Make sure everything is tight. Make sure it's clean. I.E feel for any tight spots with a patch. If not there try a diffrent scope.

I'm going out on a limb here.... Does anyone know where I can find a set of Wichita sling swivels. I contacted the company who stated they sold out to McMillan. I contacted McMillan who stated they are behind on their stocks and all swivels are going on them. They also stated they probably won't ever be released for retail production. So, I'm in a pickle. Some bozo installed the Uncle Mike's ( or similar) brand on this stock. I want to put this rifle in complete M40 condition. I would appreciate any leads on where to look.

Last edited:
I'm going out on a limb here.... Does anyone know where I can find a set of Wichita sling swivels. I contacted the company who stated they sold out to McMillan. I contacted McMillan who stated they are behind on their stocks and all swivels are going on them. They also stated they probably won't ever be released for retail production. So, I'm in a pickle. Some bozo installed the Uncle Mike's ( or similar) brand on this stock. I want to put this rifle in complete M40 condition. I would appreciate any leads on where to look.
Reach out to Marty @ Badger Ordnance, of anyone out there he will know…

Happy George Washington Day....Range Day...I replaced the Redfield Tracker with a Hi-Lux 3-9x (I know, I know, but until I can find and afford an actual Redfield Accurange 3-9x, this will have to do....even if it is a sin) But much better results today. The first group at 100 yards wasn't bad, just a little high to the right. After 1 adjustment, it shot a decent group on paper. I'm happy with it. Stock is unbedded, rifle front sandbagged off the bench. Federal GMM 175 grain. Comments?

Attachments

• IMG_20240219_131850333~2.jpg
    IMG_20240219_131850333~2.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240219_125957730_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240219_125957730_HDR.jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 38
I would post in the SH Vintage Sniper forums for help on the parts you are looking for.

The only other thing I would do, is take Denatured Alcohol and wipe the whole stock down real good and then recoat it with linseed oil. It will bring back some shine to it and reseal the wool from moisture.

Other than that, she looks really sweet and shoots well for her age.

Any info on this one ? I’ll get some better pics and the serial number when i get home. It’s got a 20 inch barrel in 308. View attachment 8377185
Is that stock black, or dark green? If the stock is dark green, that is a 1st Gen 700 5R Milspec in .308 Win.

If it’s a black stock, that is most likely a 1st Gen 700 5R Milspec, but someone either painted the stock black, or put it in a different stock…

Last edited:
it’s Green everything is factory on it except the trigger i put a Geissele super 700 in it. I couldn’t find much info on it so i was wondering
If it’s green, it’s a Gen1 700 5R Milspec. They are typically shooters. The only times I’ve ever heard negatives about them is on the internet. All the ones I own and have shot were tack-drivers.

Torque your action screws to 65 inch-pounds. That’s recommended per HS Precision spec for their stocks.