• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 PSS??

This is the response I just got.......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205-205436~2.png
    Screenshot_20240205-205436~2.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 77
You got me thinking. Back in the day I would cut a channel inside forend and epoxy a steel rod the length of forend and bed action and channel. Free float the channel in attempt to keep it shooting straight until I got a McMillan stock
THAT would strengthen the forend!
I remember that modification. Wow time, flies.

I don't remember seeing anything but parkerized looking finishes like @Sandhog308's shown above for the first years Rem was marketing them as 700P and PSS.

What I think I remember don't mean shit as I was totally wrong on the 26" thing as well.

I know that Remington ultimately made several iterations over the years. Some had H.S.P. stocks and then B&C got some of their business when they copied the HSP stock almost exactly. Then again, that is not the first time B&C straight up copied other companies products.

Some of the 700Ps had the horrific factory DBM for a while. That was a complete fail. When we would run into those at a class, the user would typically have a Zip-Loc bag with extra mags to try in efforts to have a functional rifle each day.

It was said that the 700Ps had more attention to detail and some even said the custom shop had a hand in their production.
If this was try, it most certainly did not show in the finished products. Some were great and some should have never left the plant.

Never was a fan of the Detachable Mag PSS version.

Reactions: Terry Cross
I don't remember seeing anything but parkerized looking finishes like @Sandhog308's shown above for the first years Rem was marketing them as 700P and PSS.

What I think I remember don't mean shit as I was totally wrong on the 26" thing as well.

I know that Remington ultimately made several iterations over the years. Some had H.S.P. stocks and then B&C got some of their business when they copied the HSP stock almost exactly. Then again, that is not the first time B&C straight up copied other companies products.

Some of the 700Ps had the horrific factory DBM for a while. That was a complete fail. When we would run into those at a class, the user would typically have a Zip-Loc bag with extra mags to try in efforts to have a functional rifle each day.

It was said that the 700Ps had more attention to detail and some even said the custom shop had a hand in their production.
If this was try, it most certainly did not show in the finished products. Some were great and some should have never left the plant.

It’s coming back to me lol

I’m 99% sure the originals were chrom moly steel.

Somewhere in the late 80’s early 90’s they switched to 416 stainless, still parkerized. It was a few years after browning came out with a stainless A bolt.

Not 100 but 99% sure

Reactions: Terry Cross
Those were terrible magazines. We used to duct tape them tight to stock so they would reliably feed.
Day 4 Freezing Rain. 12/07/1989

Some Dallas PD Steyr SSGs with 10 round mags got enough rain into the magazines that it froze the compressed magazine springs and they wouldn’t push a round up to allow the bolt to shove a round out of the magazine into the chamber. No shit.

We had clear, bright, sunny skies on Monday which degraded daily during the week. But we sure shot in variable conditions. I was one of the few guys who survived the change because my wife had bought me the latest GoreTex Remington Ultimate Climate jacket and pants (I still use them both. Bless her heart!)

My partner was soaked and nearly hypothermic, shaking so hard he could barely run the bolt. He kept claiming the bolt was jamming, but I saw he was wasn’t running it in a straight line, pushing outward to the right, binding it. He was shivering so hard I thought he would shatter.

It was old school compared to todays waterproof fabrics. You guys have it great!

And several years later while shooting at a Police Sniper Comp @ Camp Gruber on the M60 range outside Muskogee, OK, my dear friend from Dallas PD had his STEYR SSG shit the bed. He was making 400 yard headshots like a Boss when he suddenly couldn’t hit shit.

I was immediately to his left in the firing line.
We looked his rifle over and discovered the plastic floor plate on his department issued Steyr SSG had shattered like tempered glass at the front action screw.

We traced it down to his use of Sweet’s 7.62 Solvent, an ammonia based bore cleaner. Apparently the solvent running down the front action screw interacted with the plastic floor plate and made it brittle.

Years later, he later shot Jabari, a gorilla at the Dallas zoo, who had gotten out of his enclosure and attacked zoo visitors.

Shot him in the face with a .458 Winchester chambered Weatherby Dangerous Game Rifle @ 8 yards as he charged my buddy. I’ve seen the crime scene photos. Clean Shoot.

Last edited:
Day 4 Freezing Rain. 12/07/1989

Some Dallas PD Steyr SSGs with 10 round mags got enough rain into the magazines that it froze the compressed magazine springs and they wouldn’t push a round up to allow the bolt to shove a round out of the magazine into the chamber. No shit.

We had clear, bright, sunny skies on Monday which degraded daily during the week. But we sure shot in variable conditions. I was one of the few guys who survived the change because my wife had bought me the latest GoreTex Remington Ultimate Climate jacket and pants (I still use them both. Bless her heart!)

My partner was soaked and nearly hypothermic, shaking so hard he could barely run the bolt. He kept claiming the bolt was jamming, but I saw he was wasn’t running it in a straight line, pushing outward to the right, binding it. He was shivering so hard I thought he would shatter.

It was old school compared to todays waterproof fabrics. You guys have it great!

And several years later while shooting at a Police Sniper Comp @ Camp Gruber on the M60 range outside Muskogee, OK, my dear friend from Dallas PD had his STEYR SSG shit the bed. He was making 400 yard headshots like a Boss when he suddenly couldn’t hit shit.

I was immediately to his left in the firing line.
We looked his rifle over and discovered the plastic floor plate on his department issued Steyr SSG had shattered like tempered glass at the front action screw.

We traced it down to his use of Sweet’s 7.62 Solvent, an ammonia based bore cleaner. Apparently the solvent running down the front action screw interacted with the plastic floor plate and made it brittle.

Years later, he later shot Jabari, a gorilla at the Dallas zoo, who had gotten out of his enclosure and attacked zoo visitors.

Shot him in the face with a .458 Winchester chambered Weatherby Dangerous Game Rifle @ 8 yards as he charged my buddy. I’ve seen the crime scene photos. Clean Shoot.

The rotary magazine and plastic trigger guard magazine housing were the demise of what otherwise was a truly excellent rifle. I always wanted to get the CDI conversion to build a PIV variant, I am pretty sure that is the model where the barrel was threaded into the action vs pressed. I really like the action & two stage trigger.

No, Senderos (SF & SF-II), and some of the Varmint models (VS & VSF) were stainless from the late-90’s until current. They’ve had some CDL Stainless and CDL SF and LSS models during that time, as well.

To my recollection, all P, PSS, & LTR’s were blued or parkerized finish, or cerakoted black.

It’s coming back to me lol

I’m 99% sure the originals were chrom moly steel.

Somewhere in the late 80’s early 90’s they switched to 416 stainless, still parkerized. It was a few years after browning came out with a stainless A bolt.

Not 100 but 99% sure

Ok you guys have me curious now to find out what mine is for sure. I bought a PSS from SH years ago that has been worked over a little bit. It's stainless, 20" barrel, oversized bolt knob, fluted bolt, and I'm not sure what else was done. It has an "S" first in the serial which I believe is a '98 model if I recall correctly.

It's a 1/2 MOA rifle with FGMM with me shooting and I'm not the best at shooting groups. I have it in a Bravo chassis and really enjoy this rifle. But where do I go to find out exactly what it is? Also, did they make any in 20" or was it cut down?

Ok you guys have me curious now to find out what mine is for sure. I bought a PSS from SH years ago that has been worked over a little bit. It's stainless, 20" barrel, oversized bolt knob, fluted bolt, and I'm not sure what else was done. It has an "S" first in the serial which I believe is a '98 model if I recall correctly.

It's a 1/2 MOA rifle with FGMM with me shooting and I'm not the best at shooting groups. I have it in a Bravo chassis and really enjoy this rifle. But where do I go to find out exactly what it is? Also, did they make any in 20" or was it cut down?
They made the SPS later on, and I think there were more “options”

Pictures would help. The S prefix on the serial just means it’s a stainless action, there’s also a small relief cut on the tang of the receiver that goes perpendicular to the bore that notes the stainless receivers. Is it Cerakoted black or bead blasted stainless? And what do the flutes look like? There’s 3-4 different models it could be.

Reactions: brianf
Pictures would help. The S prefix on the serial just means it’s a stainless action, there’s also a small relief cut on the tang of the receiver that goes perpendicular to the bore that notes the stainless receivers. Is it Cerakoted black or bead blasted stainless? And what do the flutes look like? There’s 3-4 different models it could be.
They used what they called tryanite coating on their XCR long range modles that were stainless and black. Those actions also said Remington 700 Tactical on the side instead of just remington 700. I heard rumors they were supposed to be custom shop guns. They made 26" and 20" 223, 308, and 300wm. They had a diffrent kind of wide flute on the barrel like some of the later LTRs.

No it doesn’t… Who told you that? I see a bunch of misinformation on Google with Fudds telling each other that. 😂

The S prefix in the serial number means it was built in 1925, 1969, or 1998. And being that 700’s didn’t exist until 1962, then it could only mean it was built in 69 or 98.

The S prefix in the MODEL number (SF, VS, VSF, etc…), does mean stainless. The SPS being the exception, which stands for “Special Purpose Synthetic”.

Last edited:
No it doesn’t… Who told you that? I see a bunch of misinformation on Google with Fudds telling each other that. 😂

The S prefix in the serial number means it was built in 1925, 1969, or 1998. And being that 700’s didn’t exist until 1962, then it could only mean it was built in 69 or 98.

The S prefix in the MODEL number (SF, VS, VSF, etc…), does mean stainless. The SPS being the exception, which stands for “Special Purpose Synthetic”.
All joking aside..why didn’t someone just tag tac ops. He prob has more knowledge of 700’s than most

I think you're wrong on this one. You can spend 5 minutes on gunbroker looking at stainless remington 700s and see .

I will also add that Town Police supply in Collinsville,Va had some stainless LTR years ago.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I think you're wrong on this one. You can spend 5 minutes on gunbroker looking at stainless remington 700s and see .

I will also add that Town Police supply in Collinsville,Va had some stainless LTR years ago.
The first letter, or 2 letters in some cases, in a Remington 700 serial number is a date code. Call Remington…They’ll tell you the same. Unless they did something funky that I’m not aware of, which could have been possible back 2-3 decades ago, but I have several stainless 700’s that have non-S serial numbers. And every time I’ve date coded a 700, the first letter in the serial is the date code.

The first letter, or 2 letters in some cases, in a Remington 700 serial number is a date code. Call Remington…They’ll tell you the same. Unless they did something funky that I’m not aware of, which could have been possible back 2-3 decades ago, but I have several stainless 700’s that have non-S serial numbers. And every time I’ve date coded a 700, the first letter in the serial is the date code.

since when did Remington switch to dates on the serial number? they made RR serial numbered guns for years. Remington always used the barrel codes to date the manufacture here. what am i missing here?

IMG_7534.JPG

since when did Remington switch to dates on the serial number? they made RR serial numbered guns for years. Remington always used the barrel codes to date the manufacture here. what am i missing here?

View attachment 8342649
Since always… Originally (1962-1977) was a 1 letter code for the year only, from 1977-current it’s a 2 letter code for both date and year.

Just because the rifles with RR codes were sold for many years, does not mean the actions weren’t all produced during the same month in the same year, and they made enough production to run a year or so building rifles. And just because a rifle has an RR code still on the shelf 10 years later, doesn’t mean it wasn’t built 10 years prior, and never sold, or was stuck/lost in someone’s inventory the entire time.

Since always… Originally (1962-1977) was a 1 letter code for the year only, from 1977-current it’s a 2 letter code for both date and year.

you're getting barrel date codes and serial number prefixes mixed up. your link even says that 62-77 was the ONLY timeframe they used a serial number prefix for date code.

all other years, before and after, were a 2 digit barrel code that denoted month and year.

so S in the serial COULD be that it was built in 68. but if it has a barrel date code, then that is how you date the gun.

Just because the rifles with RR codes were sold for many years, does not mean the actions weren’t all produced during the same month in the same year, and they made enough production to run a year or so building rifles. And just because a rifle has an RR code still on the shelf 10 years later, doesn’t mean it wasn’t built 10 years prior, and never sold, or was stuck/lost in someone’s inventory the entire time.

so by this logic, all RR prefix SERIAL NUMBER actions were built in 1946, November 1968, November 1997, or November 2023?

is this your claim?

you're getting barrel date codes and serial number prefixes mixed up. your link even says that 62-77 was the ONLY timeframe they used a serial number prefix for date code.

all other years, before and after, were a 2 digit barrel code that denoted month and year.

so S in the serial COULD be that it was built in 68. but if it has a barrel date code, then that is how you date the gun.

Going by that, mine might have been made in Sept 2005. It has DZ stamped in the barrel and S as the first character in the serial. I'll get a couple pics up...

For a while "RR" prefixed serials were for those replacement 700 (M24) "Replacement Receiver" rifles Remington built when the Army's M24s went to Ilion to be converted from 7.62 into 300 Winchester Magnum M2010 sniper rifles.

Remington took all the original M24 take-off parts to manufacture new OEM clone-correct "Civilian" production M24s for sale to veteran Army snipers and collectors.

The original serial receivers went back to the Army as new (converted-overhauled) guns.

Reactions: atomic41 and FuhQ
I find it hard to believe that all the stainless 700’s for sale on GB were made within the same year
I had several xcr LR and they all started with S also and have the square cut out on the bottom of the reciver like you said. 99% sure they didn't even make them in 1998.

20240206_105605.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not claiming those things either. As a matter of fact, I was refuting those claims. 😂

thats fine.

but the RR serial prefix doesnt date the receiver other than they were made during a certain period of time. it does not tell you when it was made or date it, the barrel code does that.

I had several xcr LR and they all started with S also and have the square cut out on the bottom of the reciver like you said. 99% sure they didn't even make them in 1998.

View attachment 8342738
I hust dug out the old barrel date code it WD.
20240206_110507.jpg

Was all the new RR stuff after Remington changed hands? Did they change the way they did serial numbers at that point?

Last edited:

The barrel date codes are different than the serial numbers. So an S prefix on a 2 letter barrel date code would denote a year, but an S prefix on a serial does not. There are stainless actions that do not start with an S serial. The 5R Gen II’s were notorious for it. I have never seen a S prefix rifle that wasn’t stainless though, and I’ve seen my fair share. Some of the 5R Gen II’s actually have S prefix serials.

All that aside, the best way to tell is this:
IMG_0698.jpeg

(The receiver pictured is an RR prefix btw)

At the end of the day it’s all generalities though, Remington was notorious for doing whatever they wanted whenever they wanted and not maintaining consistency even within models.

At the end of the day it’s all generalities though, Remington was notorious for doing whatever they wanted whenever they wanted and not maintaining consistency even within models.
Between all the buyouts and bullshit, I know that’s a fact. 😂 👍🏼

• Haha
Reactions: Coejro
Show us one.
Here you go…. Circa 2010(ish) Gen 1 5R Milspec 26” .300WM with an RR coded stainless receiver.

So, according to what was said earlier, that means this is actually an M24, but with the green HS stock and new RR (Replacement Receiver) 700 action built by Remington’s M24 Shop in order for them to send the Army’s registered actions back to them, right?

Well, that would certainly explain the regular 1/4” groups @ 100. 😂

And little did I realize until today, that setting it up with the 20MOA rail, and NF ATACR F1 5-25 MIL-XT was actually somewhat “correct” for the build.

IMG_9601.jpeg

IMG_4493.jpeg
IMG_4492.jpeg
IMG_4494.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-05-29 18:17:50.573659.jpeg

Here you go…. Circa 2010(ish) Gen 1 5R Milspec 26” .300WM with an RR coded stainless receiver.

So, according to what was said earlier, that means this is actually an M24, but with the green HS stock and new RR (Replacement Receiver) 700 action built by Remington’s M24 Shop in order for them to send the Army’s registered actions back to them, right?

And little did I realize until today, that setting it up with the 20MOA rail, and NF ATACR F1 5-25 MIL-XT was actually somewhat “correct” for the build.

View attachment 8343113
View attachment 8343103View attachment 8343104View attachment 8343105View attachment 8343112
Freedom group RR actions are kind of when Remington got their reputation for turning out junk.

Reactions: Charger442
Anyone got a magic phone that reads QR codes?

This is one of those re-issue commercial M24 builds with the RR- prefix, G-suffix, engraved Remington 700 M24:

View attachment 8343138
Any modern smartphone should be able to read it. I think you just have to hold it up like you're taking a picture of it, with the camera app open, and hover it in front of it, and it will automatically pick it up, and ask if you want to open it up, or it might open automatically, depending on how it's setup... Give it a try.

View attachment 8343113
View attachment 8343103View attachment 8343104View attachment 8343105View attachment 8343112

So barrel code KH, hard to read but that's what I see, gun made May, 2013. RR prefix serial number doesn't indicate year of manufacture.

So barrel code KH, hard to read but that's what I see, gun made May, 2013. RR prefix serial number doesn't indicate year of manufacture.
Ok, so it was a 2013 production... I was wrong, about that, my 5R .308 is a 2010 production model...I was getting them mixed up. Been a long week, and it's only Tuesday. 🤦🏼

• Haha
Reactions: sinister