• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 remage

Pro, you can get a barrel to your door in a week and put it on yourself with zero gunsmithing charges. Con, you are stuck with a barrel nut which may or may not be a big deal to you, it's not to me. If you've had work done on your action already the remage won't fit. Needs factory rem spec threads. Lack of a personal touch or customization for some parts.

Last edited:
Add to the pros that you can essentially have multiple rifles by having different barrels for one stock/action IF that's important to you.
To the cons, you'll need to buy an action wrench and barrel vise (you can rent gauges). You also need to have your action milled or the lug pinned.

So if my action is trued this cant be done? Or if its a 700 style action like a Impact or tuebor?
Thanks

The remage comes in 1-1/16x16 tpi so if your action doesnt have those threads then you cant use the remage systems as they come on the shelf. Often times truing an action involves cutting on the threads which would change it from the factory spec. If they didnt touch them on your action and they only squared up the face or something then you might still be able to use a remage. I cant tell you that though.

I mean Im sure you could have something done up custom but that would probably exceed the cost of a shouldered barrel.

Northland shooter supply has the criterion set up, mcgowen, , xcaliber and the spr bugnut are the other players I think. I went northland with a criterion.

As to whether those actions you listed have the regular remington thread specs I cant say, I dont know that info and its not on their site at first glance. If they dont then they may have the savage specs which would be nice, I think bighorn and mausingfield are savage small shank. All remage is is taking the barrel and rather than cutting the shoulder to time it correctly you use a jam nut to hold it in the correct space. An arbitrary shoulder. Remington-savage=remage.

Great info spife7980. I was just on NSS website and see they have a Bighorn that can setup with the remage and the Criterion barrel! How long have you been running this type of setup? Has it been just as accurate as a traditional barrel? what caliber you running?

Im only just getting started with it, less than 100 rounds on it now as Ive been side tracked with building other activities and actually dragging my heals on shooting it but its chambered in 6xc. Its been plenty accurate though the little bit Ive shot it with low powered safe rounds to form brass and break the barrel in with the magneato speed mounted for every single shot. Im putting off shooting it more until I get the MK machining magneato mount so I can start my load development and still chrono each round without worrying about any interference with my data. But I made decent hits on a 2/3 ipsc at 850 yards which is all Ive really shot at so far. The cows refuse to stay away from my other further targets so it may actually be later into winter before I get them into another pasture. My initial sight in stacked a couple rounds into a little clover leaf. More than adequate for steel out to 1k.

Semantics- The bighorn isnt a "remage", its just a normal savage set up and savages have a knack for accuracy out of the box so the system isnt necessarily any less accurate than any other. Like all things accuracy its in the chambering and barrel and these barrels can shoot.

In my opinion there are no pros to a dam barrel nut. How much easier can you get than just screwing a barrel on to the shoulder and go shoot. No headfspace gauges and no dam barrel nut. I get the part about being able to buy a barrel from x y or z company and putting it on yourself, but that barrel still has to be chambered, so why not have a couple barrels custom fit to your receiver and be on your merry way. Nothing can be any easier than a pinned recoil lug and a shoulder. no guessing no nuts, and no gauges!! screw it on until it stops, and go shoot! thats just my way of thinking. I do barrel nut jobs all the time, but ill never own one!! Lee

A number of us are doing quite well running CBI barrels on Stiller actions (700 clone) in Fclass, yes with the barrel nut. I even got a free barrel from CBI for setting a NRA record; not too shabby for "home made" rifles.

Skeetlee did the SPR barrel I spun off last weekend during the match. Spun it back on and off to the rooftop! He's done more than one barrel for that action and I can swap them at the range by hand when I want. He could do that for you with any action you want.

The nut works but with sort turnaround like Lee has there's no need to buy and off the shelf chambered barrel. Just buy the blank and have it do the shoulder way.

I ran this past comp season running a Mausingfield with a 6.5x47 Criterion prefit with a barrel nut. The rifle shot great! No complaints about a barrel nut at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be aware if your barrel nut is not as tight as your muzzle brake you take a chance of busting the wrong thread lose when carbon builds up on your muzzle threads. Then you will need to re headspace your rifle . Ask me how I know no more nuts for me . Plus ugly as shit .