• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 SPS Tactical upgrades....advice

wilsey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
To anyone on the Hide that cares to give me guidance...
I will be purchasing a 700 SPS tactical 308 for paper/hunting very soon...
First thing first, I will be replacing the stock to a B&C medalist. But what do I have to do so I can use detach 10 rd mags? Is the stock setup for it? Also If anyone thinks i should go some other direction before I buy, Im all ears!
I greatly appreciate it Gentlemen.

Re: 700 SPS Tactical upgrades....advice

I'd question the need of a 10rd mag hanging out of the bottom of a hunting bolt gun.

4 in the belly and 1 in the pipe has never left me needing more. when hunting.

Replacing the rubber stock is a good start.

I understand that it is a bolt gun, but
when I want reach out and "try" to touch P-dogs i want as many
rounds as possible. I understand your point though.

I assumed big game.
308 on pdogs would be great practice though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilsey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To anyone on the Hide that cares to give me guidance...
First thing first, I will be replacing the stock to a B&C medalist. But what do I have to do so I can use detach 10 rd mags? Is the stock setup for it? Also If anyone thinks i should go some other direction before I buy, Im all ears!
I greatly appreciate it Gentlemen. </div></div>

Very soon B&C will be offering inletting service to open their stocks up for popular bottom metal.

You will be able to order a B&C ready to accept Badger, Surgeon, etc.

I would highly suggest that you look for magazine systems that accept AICS magazines. They are rock solid, overbuilt and reliable. You can find them anywhere in 5 and 10 round versions. They are expensive but a rifle is only as reliable as it's magazine.

In one of the upcoming steps on our "Budget Precision" build series we will be installing a Surgeon Magazine System. It is an incredibly well finished part. I have spent way too much time fondling it.

There are a couple of companies that make a drop in unit that accepts AICS mags.

http://www.hooperordnance.com/page2.aspx

http://mikesgunsales.com/accessories.html

I'm sure there are others.
Another option is CDI, Jeff has a very nice bottom metal that runs about 210 bucks, but the stock will need to be inletted, another, 60 bucks.

You are basically talking anywhere from 270 to 330 bucks or so.

Wyatts makes a drop in unit, as does HS precision, but you are talking about propietary magazines.

You could consider investing in a chasis system such as the XLR industries evolution chasis, it is made to accept the AICS mags and can be had for 720, which is not much more than a B&C with aftermarket bottom metal.

wilsey, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. You haven't even gotten the rifle yet. If you just have money to throw around, then by all means go for what ever strikes your fancy. I'm thinking that you'll need to shoot the rifle and let it tell you where it needs to be upgraded.

If you're going to be shooting at small targets, like dogs, I would think that the first area to be addressed would be the trigger. I know that many knock the rubber stock, but the fact of the matter is that it is pillar bedded and completely serviceable. My SPS was a tack driver right out of the box.

Your first order of business should be what sort of glass you're going to be putting on top. On my rigs, the scope is usually the most expensive piece of equipment.

I don't know what your experience is going to be, but as well as my SPS shot, it was a stock barrel like any other. I say this meaning that it will get screwy on you if you heat it up good and hot. POI might shift and your groups are going to swell. On top of that, my barrel fouled pretty quickly too. I had to de-copper mine every 60 rounds or so.

If you're just going to get an SPS to strip it, maybe you'd be better off just getting a stripped action. Someone here mentioned that Brownells is having a sale on actions. $359, I believe it was. If you just start with that, then you can get your stock and bottom metal and put a good barrel on it, which will run you around $600 once everything is said and done.

If I had known what I know now, six months ago, I probably wouldn't have bought my SPS. The only thing left of it now is the action. I replaced the bottom metal, stock, trigger and barrel. It doesn't even have the original finish on it because a stock SPS rusts like no one's business.

Get something that accepts AI mags... depending on what your shooting, if its handloads the Alpha Industries Mags might appeal to you also, with their reduced height and increased OAL.

Remingtons have long throats so if handloads are your style, you may want to consider them in the future... Alpha Mags fit into most bottom metal that accepts AI format mags.

As Lonewolf has said, if the B&C is what your heart is set on, maybe give them a call to find out when they can inlet for you.

Besides that, my suggestion would go towards a Manners stock.

Tom Manners makes highly functional, attractive and durable stocks. You order it with the inletting you need as well as the Manners bottom metal, ready to accept AI mags. Boom, you just need to drop your action in and away you go, altho a bedding job would be recomended to finish it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilsey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To anyone on the Hide that cares to give me guidance...
I greatly appreciate it Gentlemen. </div></div>

Find a slightly used 700 Police. It already has the stock and the barrel is already broke in.

I would recommend that after you replace the stock, put some good glass on top and shoot, shoot, shoot and from there determine what you like and dont like about the rifle. Go from there and fit the rifle to its intended use and what is going to be the most comfortable for you.

Me personally I replace the stock if necessary, get the best glass I can afford and put in a trigger that has a consistent pull weight.

If the rifle is going to be used for hunting primarily, a 1 MOA rifle/shooter is all that is needed to get the job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find a slightly used 700 Police. It already has the stock and the barrel is already broke in. </div></div>

That's what I did:
* More bang for the buck.
* Better finish
* HS Stock
* You can choose one that the owner has verified as .5 MOA.
cool.gif

For starters: Glass, forget the stock first and get the best glass your pocket can handle. Then stock, with its upgrades and lastly trigger if needed. My sps T shot well out of the box 1/2 groups with rem factory ammo and my first hand load of just 150 gr sst's. Mounted Zeiss 3x9 scope on it which i had laying around and by the way might be the best under 500 bones scopes out there. Now upgraded stock to a manners T2 with the mini chassis, and timmney trigger. Now i will say that a NF 2.5x10 is in this ones future then done. But glass to get you shooting, then a guy can add the rest as his needs/wants get to him..

Seekins mag system for sure. They use a push button release like an ar-15. Very sturdy and reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: (/?/?)NickZ.*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins mag system for sure. They use a push button release like an ar-15. Very sturdy and reliable.
</div></div>

Manners just inletted a Seekins into one of their SL stocks for me.
It looks like it grew there, and functions perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.mcreesprecision.net/
No bedding necessary. </div></div>
Others have made that claim too. Nothing is as good as proper bedding.

Original poster,

If money is at all a concern, dont waste any on a kool lookin DBM and 10rnd magazines.

I use an M4(hinged floorplate). I may be young in my competitive shooting career but, I have yet to not be able to reload and finish the COF with time left. When it happens, I may switch.
Wait until you realize you NEED one.
Ive actually seen DBMs screw a couple people up and make them barely finish the COF.
Ill probably end up changing eventually. I see that most top shooters use them. The main reason I dont use one is because of the way I shoot on my pack. When I lay a rifle down on it with a DBM it gets in the way.

As already stated, optics are extremely important. Id rather have a great scope on a $400 rifle, than ANY rifle with a $400 scope on it.

Other than optics, a Mcmillan or Manners stock.
I really wouldnt get a B&C. Just save a little more and get the best. You will be glad you did.

KJ u covered it all... thx...

Az no bedding is needed because the whole chassis is machined out of aluminum to be an exact fit to the action. Even the millitary is switchingto these over traditional bedded stocks. Have read many great reviews even some peoples groups shrinking by 3/8 of and inch over a bedded hs stock. Will post some pics and a range report after I pick mine up next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Az no bedding is needed because the whole chassis is machined out of aluminum to be an exact fit to the action. Even the millitary is switchingto these over traditional bedded stocks. Have read many great reviews even some peoples groups shrinking by 3/8 of and inch over a bedded hs stock. Will post some pics and a range report after I pick mine up next week. </div></div>

That's assuming every receiver is the same. They are not. Look at the gaps in mounting a scope rail and how it varies from action to action; you think the bottom side of the receiver is any different?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 in the belly and 1 in the pipe has never left me needing more. when hunting.

Replacing the rubber stock is a good start.</div></div>

+1 on this! I hate the stock they come with. I am going to replace mine with a H.S. but just haven't got the 600 bucks to do at the moment. Mine is a shooter for sure tho! even stock it will hold right at 1/2 MOA with match M118LR. My smallest group to date is right about 0.65...so not to shaby for a stock rifle.

lets say you get your b&c stock for $250. you get your cdi precision dbm, inletted with a 10 rd mag, $350.

thats $600, minimum, you could throw at a good set of rings and a leupy, swfa hd, vortex, bushnell, nikon, etc... bottom line, enjoy shooting a great out of box gun with a good optic, then worry about your hardware upgrades later.

good luck with your decision.

I would pump the brakes on the tacticool mods for right now. The rifle will serve it's purpose just fine without DBM. It seems like you want the DMB for quicker reloads. If that's the case, then to truly save time, you would have to have three or four loaded mags on standby and at ~$100 a pop for AICS you'd have to strongly consider if the few seconds difference is worth that kind of investment.

You didn't mention glass in your OP so that should be the first thing addressed for obvious reasons. Take your time and do this part right. If you're not happy with your glass then shooting the rifle will be a miserable experience. By rule of thumb, the glass should cost as much as the rifle. Always go for the best you can afford. Then a good base and a good set of rings will add another ~$200+ so don't get ahead of yourself.

Take your time, build the rifle correctly and when it's finished you will have a hell of a machine. Heed my advice because I made the same mistakes when I first got into this.

Buy once, cry once.

Great advice found here. It got me some ideas on how to modify my Remington 700 SPS-T.

Here is what I put on top of my 700 SPS Tact. With a custom dial for M118LR's. Pretty standard round for a gun of these specs. They shoot dead nuts all day long! and with the custom dial its just that much better! Like thebearjew said save your money and get good glass and maybe a new stock and be done with it. You will be more than please with this rifle if you go with the quality glass and stock.

Here is a link to what I put on mine. Leupold VX-3L 4.5x14x50

Leupold VX-3L

I would go for a stock before anything else on this rifle. (Bolt knob, DM Kit, Trigger)

I agree with the members on here about glass. I made that mistake when I first started out and had to "settle" for an optic that fit the budget (which was extremely low from buying the "nonessentials"). And now that I have seen/shot through better glass. I can assure you that you will not be disappointed with having great glass. If anything, your scope should be your main priority above all else. Good luck. Update us with what you decide. I'm curious at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Para38super</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that scope come with a Mil-Dot reticle?</div></div>

You can send it into leupold to have them put one in it. But it isnt needed. The custom dial compensates for the EXACT bullet and gun combo that you have. It take's into account the Average muzzle velocity, powder load, bullet weight, average shooting temp, average shooting elevation, average RH, and factors it into every shot for you already.

They do made custom wind dials as well but I didnt go with one as I would rather get good at calling my own wind holds.

Well worth the 700-800 bucks for the scope IMO. I think it is one of the better scopes out there for under $1,000. The glass quality is very good and it also allows you to run low rings with a 50mm objective lens.

Now I know why I joined the Hide.
So many helpful ideas, Thank you gentlemen.
Now when I get it, if I could only shoot it like so
many of you do, I would be set!

Get involved in tactical matches. The guys n gals who shoot in them are great to learn from and there are more novices that shoot in them than you may think. Like me
smile.gif

So dont worry about looking foolish or needing help. Safety is all that's important.

Shooting classes are often very expensive. And I can see how it would be hard for the lessons learned to stick in your mind, since its only being taught over a day or two. Matches are every month, or more and are pretty cheap considering how fun and educational they are.

I wish I had received professional instruction when I was growing up/learning to shoot. Having good form and technique from the start would have been MUCH better than developing bad habits that needed to be changed later.

On scopes, one thing to consider before buying is how youre going to compensate for bullet drop. It seems like most people click in. I always hold over for drop, and sometimes click in for windage if its a far shot with steady wind. Ive shot at 1000 before in wind that made me hold like 15 minutes off. Clicking my wind in allowed me to hold on my vertical hair again rather than being off in no mans land. It also lets me take a quick follow up shot. You need a damn good retical to use "hold over" too. I used a leupold Varmint hunter retical for a while and as nice as it was out to 600, I couldnt use it past that without clicking.
To each their own. Just some things to consider.

If you are still interested, I found these kits while lookingfor my medalist stock

c3r1.jpg

Looks like the A5 adjustable is on sale at a good price

wyattBC.jpg

Five round kit for $240 ^ "DROP-IN" Guess it uses the factory release in the trigger guard.

wyatts.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Stockys take</span>: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote]

The standard long and short action units we tested drop in to Bell & Carlson varmint/tactical stocks very neatly so should come in very handy. A no-brainer in my book, looks like they were made for them. 10 round mags are here finally also. Here's the photographic result of Kevin Wyatt's torture test of these units along with his input. Dropped the magazine 300 feet on to a hard gravel parking lot and it still fed cartridges.

Important note: The Ultra Mag / .338 Lapua version should be installed by a qualified gunsmith as both the receiver and riflestock must be altered (instructions included). No such issues on the standard long or short action.

Capacity: 8 rounds of belted magnum ammo fit in all hi-cap magazines and .338 Lapua; 5 or 10 on the .308 Winchester or .30-06 case. Belted Magnums are fine in the long action ".30-06" assembly / magazines (i.e. 7mm Rem Mag, .300 win "Mag.) Assembly includes the bottom metal with one magazine. Extra magazines are available below also.

</div></div>

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Click that ^ to look closer/check out the s</span>ite</span>

I still kind of want one. I have never had problems with reliability of the factory Remington 700 setup but this says that the single stack detachable box mag feeds more reliably than double stack, which you hear about a lot of weapons...

I have a Wyatt's system for my .308. I have a couple of five rounders and a ten rounder. All are a PITA to load. Although the five rounders have never given me much trouble, the ten rounder jams up all of the time. I have to give it a good knock sometimes to get it to feed.

I just upgraded my Rem 700 Tactical...

I put a Badger base and rings on it, with a Leupold 4.5-14x50.

I bought the Bell & Carlson stock, along with the Wyatt's DBM setup.

I just got it all together this afternoon and I couldn't be happier with it. Tomorrow I'm off to the range with some Hornady 168gr Amax.

This is what I have into my rifle:

Base rifle $500
BO base $135
Max50 rings $160
Scope $665
B&C M40 stock $235
Wyatt DBM kit $250
Bipod $40

Total invested: $1985

Depending what your budget is... it may be easier to do in stages. I tried to keep a realistic budget in mind when I started this project... I could have easily gotten way overboard, like everything else I do. I feel I put together a good rifle for a reasonable price. None of it is "top of the line", but it's by no means "junk" either.

SDC111312.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Wyatt's system for my .308. I have a couple of five rounders and a ten rounder. All are a PITA to load. Although the five rounders have never given me much trouble, the ten rounder jams up all of the time. I have to give it a good knock sometimes to get it to feed.</div></div> That blows ^ first time I've heard that but I haven't searched for too many reviews on it cause all my spare money is tied up in other stuff right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just upgraded my Rem 700 Tactical...

I put a Badger base and rings on it, with a Leupold 4.5-14x50.

I bought the Bell & Carlson stock, along with the Wyatt's DBM setup.

I just got it all together this afternoon and I couldn't be happier with it. Tomorrow I'm off to the range with some Hornady 168gr Amax.

SDC111312.jpg
</div></div> Let us know what you think, good luck man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Let us know what you think, good luck man </div></div>

I think it's worth the money, but agree with the previous guy that said it is a bit of a PITA to load.

First few rounds pushed out of it felt a little gritty/sticky, but I think it will smooth out with more use.
I'm sure a little polishing or tweaking and it would be smooth as butter.
I've only got the 5rd mag, so I can't comment on the 10 rounders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like mine with the hs precision and Seekins bottom metal!

</div></div>I bet you do haha, badass rig you got man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Wyatt's system for my .308. I have a couple of five rounders and a ten rounder. All are a PITA to load. Although the five rounders have never given me much trouble, the ten rounder jams up all of the time. I have to give it a good knock sometimes to get it to feed. </div></div>

You don't mention what stock you have. The Wyatt will drop into B&C and most HS stocks. If you have trouble feeding, try a couple of shims. Not all stocks are dimensionally identical. My set up is smooth with both 5 and ten round mags, but I tuned it with a little shim stock:

002-8.jpg

006-5.jpg

007-4.jpg