• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

700SPS tactical or 700P?

inthe605

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
Okay so from what I can find on the internet the SPS uses the same action and barrel as the 700P, albeit shorter barrel. And from what I read the only real difference is a cheap cheap stock on the SPS.

Stock dosent matter much to me. Either of them are going to get replaced anyway. And the barrel is going to get threaded for a can likely the same day I buy the rifle, hoping tommrow, however the stock changes with be later down the road.

Oh and i may be wrong but the 700p does not come with a 20" barrel. I could swear I saw a 20" 700p, but sure cant find one now.

Thanks

Re: 700SPS tactical or 700P?

If you want a 20 inch barrel go with the SPS Tactical if you are on a budget. A little higher budget and I would go with the LTR which will give you the HS Precision stock, a better option than the Hogue.

Yeah barrel is going to be 20" no matter what. I have 10" of suppresor to put on this sucker.

So from what you guys are saying the only difference is the stock?

I was thinking in a couple months I'd be buying the AICS unless something else tickles my fancy a bit more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledillers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">700 sps aac-sd is 20" and is already threaded, if you wern't already aware </div></div>

Good thinking, yeah not available anywhere here though.

If you are replacing the stock anyways, the SPS or AAC-SD is the best bet.

ETA: A quick search on GB and I found 5 700 AAC-SD's. Maybe your best bet is to order one/buy one. I think they are spot on for an entry level rifle.

I should have some more input on the AAC-SD soon, but assuming the quality is on par with the rest of the 700 SPS line, I would consider that your best bet.

I should be sending off the order for my 700 AAC-SD tomorrow. Not sure how long it will take to get during the holiday season.

I'm new to shooting so my input inst really valuable, but last weekend I got the 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD.

It seems like a great gun. I'd say try and get one, especially if you want a threaded barrel. And the Hogue stock inst as bad as I had read it was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to shooting so my input inst really valuable, but last weekend I got the 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD.

It seems like a great gun. I'd say try and get one, especially if you want a threaded barrel. And the Hogue stock inst as bad as I had read it was.

</div></div>

The thing is, either the 700p or the 700sps the factory stock is going to go down the road. i have a pretty good buy on the sps and I'm going to move on it. $580 vs. $900 for a 700p. The stock is a non issue for me. I'm thinking real hard that the SPS is the way to go for me.

But time will tell. Im a huge fan of the free float barrel, and as far as I see the SPS is not. But it will be when i'm done with it.

I'll check the thread in the AM and report back.

barrel twist is different as well. The AAC has the 1 in 10 and the SPS Tactical has the 1 in 12.

If the only reason anyone would consider the 700P over the SPS is the stock - you can find HS precision take-off stocks all over the internet for $150-200. I do believe the 700P is actually parkerized where the SPS is not. But beyond that, its essentially thesame gun.

To me, the AAC-SD is too good of a deal to pass on. It has all the things I wish my orignal SPS had had (Threaded barrel, 1:10 twist).

And for everyone that bitches about the Hogue.... I have a theory that Rem went with the cheapest stock they could to keep the price down KNOWING that 99% of folks would eventually replace it anyway with a aftermarket stock. So the lower initial cost gets them in the rifle in the 1st place whereas an extra $200-300 for the better stock might mean that the person on the fence doesn't buy it. Stocks are very personal, and I think REM recognized this and basically just went with the cheapest throwaway stock they could get away with. Good marketing decision on their part, IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the only reason anyone would consider the 700P over the SPS is the stock - you can find HS precision take-off stocks all over the internet for $150-200. I do believe the 700P is actually parkerized where the SPS is not. But beyond that, its essentially thesame gun.

To me, the AAC-SD is too good of a deal to pass on. It has all the things I wish my orignal SPS had had (Threaded barrel, 1:10 twist).

And for everyone that bitches about the Hogue.... I have a theory that Rem went with the cheapest stock they could to keep the price down KNOWING that 99% of folks would eventually replace it anyway with a aftermarket stock. So the lower initial cost gets them in the rifle in the 1st place whereas an extra $200-300 for the better stock might mean that the person on the fence doesn't buy it. Stocks are very personal, and I think REM recognized this and basically just went with the cheapest throwaway stock they could get away with. Good marketing decision on their part, IMHO. </div></div>

+1

i put my sps in a mcree stock and had a smith thread it for a brake. if i'd waited a few months, i definitely would've gotten the aac-sd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel twist is different as well. The AAC has the 1 in 10 and the SPS Tactical has the 1 in 12. </div></div>

0_o where are you looking?? my SPS Tactical has a 1 in 9 twist....

The 700P is parked, the SPS is matte blued, the 700P has the 40X trigger, the SPS has the X-Mark Pro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel twist is different as well. The AAC has the 1 in 10 and the SPS Tactical has the 1 in 12. </div></div>

0_o where are you looking?? my SPS Tactical has a 1 in 9 twist.... </div></div>

That's because yours is a .223.

The SPS rifles are a good deal. But be weary of the craftsmanship they lack. As they typically dont get the TLC the LE 700s get. Most of the SPSs I have seen have shitty crowns on them so beware.

I was about to buy one awhile back to beat on. But I had the guy at a local shop pull out 5 of them to I could pick one with a decent crown. They all failed so I left without buying one. Looked like someone half ass crowned it with a screwdriver...some worse than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TangoDown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel twist is different as well. The AAC has the 1 in 10 and the SPS Tactical has the 1 in 12. </div></div>

0_o where are you looking?? my SPS Tactical has a 1 in 9 twist.... </div></div>

That's because yours is a .223.

The SPS rifles are a good deal. But be weary of the craftsmanship they lack. As they typically dont get the TLC the LE 700s get. Most of the SPSs I have seen have shitty crowns on them so beware.

I was about to buy one awhile back to beat on. But I had the guy at a local shop pull out 5 of them to I could pick one with a decent crown. They all failed so I left without buying one. Looked like someone half ass crowned it with a screwdriver...some worse than others. </div></div>

oh yea i forgot about that part

I have a SPS 20" and a 700P I got the 700P because the 700 SPS tactical wouldn't shoot up to my other 700 Varmint rifles potential. Even with a McMillan free floated stock. Soon it's getting sent off for a trueing of the action and getting rebarreled in 260 Remington. If you ask me the 700P and 700SPS Tactical I have are not of equal quality. The 700P is smooth and parkerized 700 sps is rough and not parkerized. I don't think you can free float the plastic SPS Hogue stock it's flimsy on the barrel end and plastic under the action. It needs a muzzle brake IMHO it jumps much more than the 26" 700P. Of course the new threaded muzzle should make short work of that a 1-10 twist will be nice for heavier bullets too, if they do actually come with that twist. It would be nice if Remington actually started to realize they have a shooting community that could use faster twist ratios compared to they're standard offerings. I should have saved my loot and got the 700P to begin with. However, I do have a donor action now... Education isn't cheap, hope it all works out in your favor.
Overall I think the 700P gets more attention to detail. I cant prove this but i think they get a better barrel. The 700P cleans up much faster than the sps leading me to think its a better grade. Yeah I know they're all hammer forged But in my case it shows on target. The 700P shoots 10 shot bug holes 700sps shoots good but no bug hole groups and I've tried by modifying powder and bullets in handloads.

i have one of the early model sps tacticals and it origionaly has a black oxide finish also it had a .85 muzzel dia and alot of people i know that have later versions have a .83 not really a big differnce but noticible. Another thing that i found funny was that the hogue stock was almost navy blue black, i ended up selling it and getting a hs precision police take off and didnt like how it felt so i went with the PST025 and it was much better now im back to a hogue that i glassed in the fore arm and the butstock and it is black. I would say AAC all the way and try the hogue you might like it. mine shoot just as good after the fiberglass fill as the hs stocks. The only thing is the POI really shifts when the barreld action is removed from the stock due to the non alluminum block. I have never fired a group over .75 at 100yds. 1600 rounds, so far all fed. 150 gr. Power shock and Fed 168 match You cant go wrong with a sps tactical or AAC or p model just remember to buy a good optic dosnt have to be the best though.
hope this helps

The SPS might not be as detailed as the P but even in my Hogue stock I can shoot sub .5 moa with factory ammo. They can't be too bad.

Update. They had a ACC SD in stock that the owner was going to keep and he sold it to me for $580.

Thank god the fbi nics system crapped out today. Got the rifle 2 boxes of hornady 168 gr. a bunch of targets and a hat, all for my trouble. All for $580. I think I did damn good today. Big plus is I dont have to wait for a smith to thread the barrel.

Gotta get a range report for you guys.

But I gotta say the stock does suck. And I need a proper scope base (I'm half assing my AR setup till I get a one peice ordered)

I spose i need to post pics too?

Oh and again, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inthe605</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update. <snip> Got the rifle 2 boxes of hornady 168 gr. a bunch of targets and a hat, all for my trouble. All for $580. I think I did damn good today. <snip> </div></div>

Sure sounds like it. Wish I could find something like that. It would simplify my life.

The only thing that would steer me towards the 700P is the finish. 700P- parkerized, SPS- shitty painted finish. If you are going to replace the stock, and get it ceracoated, get the SPS, if not, get the 700P.

If you are on a budget get the sps tactical or the aac-sd otherwise you can get the 700p and cut the barrel down to 20 if that is wat you want then the muzzle will be stiffer (i think)
I have an early model sps tactical that has served me well and all groups have been under .75 even in the hogue stock. And when it was in my hsp pst25 they were an average of .5 and ocassionaly .25 three shot groups with match ammo.

so either can be good but i have also heard alot about quality control on the sps models. and last i almost forgot to mention that when i got the rifle the recoil lug had to be straitend it was to far to the left to allow the action to fit into the hsp stock(QC). If you get an sps model i would look it over extra good.

hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing that would steer me towards the 700P is the finish. 700P- parkerized, SPS- shitty painted finish. If you are going to replace the stock, and get it ceracoated, get the SPS, if not, get the 700P. </div></div>

Remington's parkerizing is a sense of false hope in what I have seen personally first hand. Whether it's on their rifles or shotguns it's a big fail. I'd say that 75% or better or the 870s I see are rust traps. I keep a 700P in a Pelican case with desiccant in it in a trunk of my car. This is where it lives and it rusts too, no surprise, jus as many other 700s I've seen also rust. A but of a different animal, but the all so coveted 5R....it"ll rust too rather easily. I had high hopes for the 5R.

Have everything cerekoted, that's my answer.

I was looking at all of these, the sps tac, 700p, and I ended up getting a sps varmint and putting a McMillan on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing that would steer me towards the 700P is the finish. 700P- parkerized, SPS- shitty painted finish. If you are going to replace the stock, and get it ceracoated, get the SPS, if not, get the 700P. </div></div>

Are you certain? Recent examples of these models from Remington appear to me to have been blued. The matte finish is obtained it appears from the manner in which the metal is finished. No doubt, if left in a foamed lined case, these guns will rust quickly if the case goes from one temp to another, allowing for condensation that cannot evaporate within the shut case.

Get the SPS and the stock you want or the 700P and sell the factory stock when it comes time to replace it.

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories