• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft 72 Hours with a Quart Ziplock or HPG Kit Bag

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
This got me thinking….

I’ve been known to wear a Hill People Gear Kit Bag while hiking and hunting, mostly to conceal a Glock 19 and to carry some essentials and snacks.

Using the Fieldcraft Survival minimalist approach, and using a HPG Kit Bag, assuming the back compartment has a handgun of some sort, what would you put in the middle compartment and the zipped front pouch for an overnighter or up to 72 hours until rescue?

Wife and I just bought 4 wheelers, and while packing some basic survive-where-the-ATV-broke gear, I headed down this bunny hole.

We live in SE WA, and while not as remote as when I lived and hunted in Alaska, things happen that force unexpected camp outs or hike outs.

What would you take, and why?

Warmth, water, signals, navigation. In that order. To whatever quantity you have space and in whatever measure your climate/season requires.

Mike,

My ATV is fully equipped for a few nights out, and I have a day pack.

I’m really asking what you’d carry just in the kit bag, as a last resort, for up to 72 hours.

Mine has a life straw, and tablets,
Poncho
Twine
Knife and multi tool
Two ways to start a fire with fire starter
Space blanket
3 high calorie bars
Meds
Cable saw

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalthoff
Life straw, 2 in-date power bars, spare knife, a Couple of contractor trash bags (improvised shelter), bic lighter wrapped in duct tape, some zip ties, a couple of gallon zip lock bag rolled up (water collection) 20’ of paracord, a good compass, map section of your AO. With some creative packaging, that can usually all fit tightly in a magazine pouch. I keep a notebook, pencil sharpener, and pencil in mine and package everything in one of the gallon zip lock bags, and I keep one of those cheap gym back packs with the shitty rope cinch straps folded in, all of that fits in a double magazine sized zipper pouch.

If you enjoy learning through misery, take a weekend to go camping with nothing but your emergency stuff, it will let you know real quickly what doesn’t work well so you can modify it. Learn your areas geography, It’s hard to find places anymore where you won’t find rivers, roads, railroads, or power lines, that stuff usually leads to people.

You mention meds but how about bleeding control or better yet a trauma kit? Just adding a couple CAT tourniquets and a roll of gauze could be a game changer in an accident. Even better strap on a separate kit to the ATV somewhere.

North American rescue or Dark Angel Medical are solid places to look for kits/components.

Their 72 hour challenge has got my interest. I carry a small pouch in my dirt bike pack with the goal of surviving a few days in the Idaho back country if I needed. Beyond knowing the gear and how to use it I've never tried. Maybe next spring summer and fall I'll go out and give it a test.

You mention meds but how about bleeding control or better yet a trauma kit? Just adding a couple CAT tourniquets and a roll of gauze could be a game changer in an accident. Even better strap on a separate kit to the ATV somewhere.

North American rescue or Dark Angel Medical are solid places to look for kits/components.
Yes, but you must know how to use what you carry. When to use use a TQ is as important as knowing how. Knowing what is about to happen to you limb and your body once you correct that life ending injury with one is a critical component to any subsequent plan.

it’s been said a million times on here, but EMT training is a small investment with massive payout. That knowledge can make you and your medical gear effective. 8 hours with a severe injury is a challenge let alone 72 that could turn into much longer with mobility issues.

Mike,

I’m really asking what you’d carry just in the kit bag, as a last resort, for up to 72 hours.

Poncho
Twine
Knife and multi tool
Space blanket
3 high calorie bars
Meds
Cable saw

What am I missing?
Some paracord, didn’t notice a map, gps, compass unless your watch has one. Maybe a pen flare or some sort of small aerial signal. And just to clarify, do you have a way to transport water? Life straw is nice, but limits you to proximity of water, a collapsible water carrier or camelback would extend your range if you need to move.

Mike,

Poncho
Twine
Knife and multi tool
Space blanket
3 high calorie bars
Meds
Cable saw

What am I missing?
Something to hold water, a single wall metal canteen with cup of some sorts, it can keep you warm when you sleep, keep you hydrated, make char cloth, make wild tea, beat ur riding companion, all sorts of uses. With ur current set up you would need to sit near water and in a warmer climate bug's will eat you alive, colder climates ur begging to freeze.

Experience: Wilderness search and rescue.

Their 72 hour challenge has got my interest. I carry a small pouch in my dirt bike pack with the goal of surviving a few days in the Idaho back country if I needed. Beyond knowing the gear and how to use it I've never tried. Maybe next spring summer and fall I'll go out and give it a test.
Not to keep waving my dick around but as someone who rescues people who get lost or stuck, a single pouch of gadgets will not save you up in Idaho if you haven't done much in the wilderness, please go use ur stuff.

This got me thinking….

I’ve been known to wear a Hill People Gear Kit Bag while hiking and hunting, mostly to conceal a Glock 19 and to carry some essentials and snacks.

Using the Fieldcraft Survival minimalist approach, and using a HPG Kit Bag, assuming the back compartment has a handgun of some sort, what would you put in the middle compartment and the zipped front pouch for an overnighter or up to 72 hours until rescue?

Wife and I just bought 4 wheelers, and while packing some basic survive-where-the-ATV-broke gear, I headed down this bunny hole.

We live in SE WA, and while not as remote as when I lived and hunted in Alaska, things happen that force unexpected camp outs or hike outs.

What would you take, and why?

IF you can find one, a Jerven Bag is the best. It weighs three pounds, is small, and will keep you alive in the winter. Keeps water and snow out too. Can't beat it.

What part of idaho?
I don't work in Idaho, sorry if that's what my post gave off. I'm just saying, Idaho ain't very forgiving to those inexperienced and stuck.

Oh, yeah. I live up here. It was 18 degrees last night with 2 feet of snow on the ground. This is good weather. The stuff that will kill you quick is when it is 35 degrees and raining. That is why that jerven is so good.

Oh, yeah. I live up here. It was 18 degrees last night with 2 feet of snow on the ground. This is good weather. The stuff that will kill you quick is when it is 35 degrees and raining. That is why that jerven is so good.
Exactly it's hard to imagine a full 72hr kit packed into a gp pouch suitable for up their, even in the summer. Alot of people underestimate the ability to go hypothermic in 60 degree weather. I'll take a peek at the bag, I kinda need a new one.

To add to the growing list,
Compass
HAND HELD GPS, EXTRA BATTETIES

If you want one for everything, get the extreme. It has enough insulation to be a decent sleeping bag. They were designed as a all around survival bag originally.

Bivvy bag.
Those things are gold.
Or the $10 survival bag.
IFAK, naturally, and the trusty Camelbak.
Amazing how much gear you can carry in the Camelbak
I go everywhere with it, hunting, kayak, leave it in truck for work.
Renting or buying an EPIRB is a good idea.
They have become very affordable here, with government subsidies, and the huge surface area of Western Australia.
Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst.
Refresh yourself on First Aid, keep a decent level of fitness.
If on a quad, safety glasses and helmet.
We get so many avoidable casualties here, due to quad riders not wearing headgear.
And the list goes on.

Not to keep waving my dick around but as someone who rescues people who get lost or stuck, a single pouch of gadgets will not save you up in Idaho if you haven't done much in the wilderness, please go use ur stuff.
I am very much aware. I know how to use all of my "gadgets". I have however never been lost to where all I had was said gadgets. My entire first post was to go out with only those gadgets and spend a few nights with nothing but what i carry .

What fits, and what's needed will vary from person to person, and the area or environment they're in.

Speaking specifically about my AO, we have soo many little micro-climates separated by short distances and/or altitude.

I can go from 6500-ft to 10500-ft in 20-minutes on a quad, and see huge climate/temperature changes.
I can travel from one side of a valley that is high desert, dry with sagebrush, to the other side of the valley where I can be in an old growth forest that is moist with chest high ferns growing in the small openings.

Plan accordingly.

You need to stay warm, dry and hydrated. The rest is extra. Quality rain gear, and warm when wet snivel gear. That and a gallon of water, and you'll be alive 72 hours latter.