• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77 gr. Sierra w/ Varget Recipe.

FishingFool

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
NOLA
I have some 77 gr sierra match kings and a container of varget sitting on my bench. Got a FPR match tomorrow and need some charge recomendations. This will be shot out of an 18" ar15. Whats the maximum OAL that'll work out of a GI mag?

Thanks.

Re: 77 gr. Sierra w/ Varget Recipe.

There's a whole section at the top of this sub-forum for recipes for all kinds of calibers. The .223-5.56 section is here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2778980#Post2778980

There should be some information in there that you seek. Although it's probably a little foolish to try to formulate a load the night before a match without any testing I wish you luck.

For Service Rifle I've been running 24 grains of Varget and I've tried 24.5. Velocities are 2700 for the 24 grain load and 2750 for 24.5 grains. You'll see a little less velocity.

I didn't see a group difference in the loads but didn't do a lot of shooting with the 24.5 grain load. The 24 grain load shoots well out to 600 for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For Service Rifle I've been running 24 grains of Varget and I've tried 24.5. Velocities are 2700 for the 24 grain load and 2750 for 24.5 grains. You'll see a little less velocity.

I didn't see a group difference in the loads but didn't do a lot of shooting with the 24.5 grain load. The 24 grain load shoots well out to 600 for me. </div></div>

What length barrel is this with? I was only able to get ~2550fps with a 18 inch barrel with 24grs of Varget and the 77gr SMK. I was able to get 2700fps with 24gr of Ramshot TAC though.

20" barrel. Ramshot lists 24.8 as a max load for a 5.56 NATO load with a velocity of 2900 fps. I'd guess that your velocities reflect the difference in barrel length.

I ran 23.5 Varget out of LC brass, Win primers. I loaded to 2.250 for an AR mag. In theory 2.260 will work, but why risk one screwy jacket ruining your rapid string? You can go faster, but this load always shot bugholes for me.

Good Luck with your match!

Randy

If it won't group 77gr SMKs with 24gr of Varget, get another barrel. 2.260 or whatever fits in your magazines.

winchester cases filled with 24.5 varget with 77 SMK seated at 2.250, 10 shots into 2inch at 300 yds out of a 1-7 twist.

The same question. With a 77gr Nosler CC, 24gr of Varget, LC09 brass in a 20” barrel, I am only getting about 2550fps myself.

as most have said - 2.260 is the max length and I normally stay around 2.250 to stay within the mag as to not have jams in the magazine.