• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm 08 Barrells

Pointman308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Idaho
I'm considering a 7mm 08 and am wondering how many rounds you can get out of barrel while maintaining good accuracy?

3000-6000 depending on all those things that barrel life depends on like bullet weight, powder choice, pressure, rate of fire etc etc.

Assuming a 26" barrel, H4350 and a 162amax @ ~2750, figure on 4000-5000.

Long life and great results await you when you go 7MM08. The elusive 162 Amax or BTHP Match is not the only good bullet either. 168SMK and 168 VLD work just fine. Use H4350 powder.

Yes all of us 7-08 owners want you to go with something else so we can have more ready access to the reloading supplies....

Why isn't this caliber raved about like t he 6.5s?

I wonder the same thing. You get the same speed (or VERY nearly) from higher BC bullets as a 260, with better barrel life and better impact/miss splash.

The 6.5s do, however, produce substantially less recoil.

I do have a couple of boxes of the 162 Amax's left...and figure I'm going to the Berger 168 VLD's, though I'm gonna choke on the cost of the damn things.

I could shoot cloverleafs with 140 SMK's at 100 yards- but they just couldn't hold their own with the heavier pills at 1000 yards.

7-08 and .260 are close contenders. Just built a .260 for my son, as there just seems to be better bullet selection in the 6.5's (although it's the same damn problem with the 140 Amax's- but I stocked up on those when I had a chance!)

I don't get Hornady and their decision to "temporarily" discontinue production of the Amax's- and I hope they do bring them back. I'm screwed on three out our four calibers where we use them- 123's for a 6.5 Grendel, the 162's for the 7-08, and the 140's for the .260. C'mon, Hornady!!

Anyway rant over...You'd be very well served with either chambering...

Last edited:
I've always been scared of trying out VLDs because of all the internet chatter about seating depth sensitivity.

My favorite 7mm08 bullet is the 175smk. Incredibly forgiving to load, and a kickass BC. They seem to transition extremely well, too.

Well, 2014 is half over already...might be worth a phone call for me to find out if they're still planning on doing this.

Hodgdon, I agree about the VLD's- though no problem with the Amax (which is secant like the Berger), hoping the extra weight/length won't be an issue.

That's why I chose the CBI barrel for the .260 chambered in .260 Match, which has an extra .06 of freebore (compared to SAAMI spec) to seat long VLD's.

Recoil....
I fully agree, I have a TRG in 7mm08 and one in 260, the 7mm08 stays in the safe on competition day.
I tried two different muzzle brakes and the rifle simply has too much recoil shooting the 162 Amax's to spot shots in the 3-500 yard range when you are forced to shoot small targets in horrible positions. Now, prone at 1370 yards, no problem.
Scott

Better strike when the iron is hot. There's a lot of 7mm guys chomping at the bit to stock up on those 162s the instant they hit the shelves.

Think Varget after an 18 month dry spell.....

I only have 500 left and I've been conserving a good bit. I was to the point of switching bullets and had found a great load with 168 SMK but they can't be found either. The 150 Lapua looks promising but cost is a good bit more. I wish Nosler would bring the drag profiles of their LRAB to the CC lineup.

Can we have a happy medium here��?

Yes, absolutely.

However, my happy medium and yours are very likely different. I don't mind a 26"+brake rifle, rarely shoot suppressed, and HATE giving up velocity, so a 26" barrel is a no brainer for me and my happy medium.

Other shooters probably don't mind giving up 50-200fps (depending) for ease of handling and for screwing a suppressor on, so their happy medium is shorter.

"Best" is an extremely vague thing. Best for what? For who?

Spartan Rifles work on a Stiller TAC30 LH in 7-08 w/ 26" Brux 4 groove & Vais brake, Manners T3, Harris, TAB, & Nightforce comes in a little over 13 lbs. full.
46.5g H4350 w/ Alpha 10 round mags & 162g Amax or BTHP either one, seated 2.920 (.025 off) at 2790 fps and still under .6 MOA w/ round count 2831.
Hoping for 3500, but as the Zen Master in Gust Avrakotos diatribe, in Charlie Wilson's War said: "We'll see." Got a new Bartlein 5R blank in the safe if it goes south. Got too much invested in bullets, brass and H4350 to go .260 at this point in my life. Recoil-smeecoil. We don't shooy without no steenking muzzle brake! lol.
You're gonna like the 7-08 methinks. Good luck.