• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08

Hi All,

I'm in the process of building up a 7mm08 and i'm undecided on which barrel twist to go with. The plan is to use it for hunting out too 400m and target shooting out to 1000m. I'll be running a Stiller Predator action, and a 26" Kreiger barrel or a locally produced (I'm in Aus) Maddco barrel. I'm thinking 1:9.5, as a all rounder but not sure if a 1:9.5 will be fast enough for the High BC 165-175gr projectiles.

Keen to know what the popular choice is for a longer range 7mm08 build.

Cheers,

Shaun.

With the lack of being able to walk in and buy the powder you want,,,,,,, I have some Reloader 17 available and was wondering if anybody is using that in their 7-08.
Used my 7-08 for hunting deer last season shooting 168 berger vld hunting. It preformed very well.

Hi All,

I'm in the process of building up a 7mm08 and i'm undecided on which barrel twist to go with. The plan is to use it for hunting out too 400m and target shooting out to 1000m. I'll be running a Stiller Predator action, and a 26" Kreiger barrel or a locally produced (I'm in Aus) Maddco barrel. I'm thinking 1:9.5, as a all rounder but not sure if a 1:9.5 will be fast enough for the High BC 165-175gr projectiles.

Keen to know what the popular choice is for a longer range 7mm08 build.

You want a twist between 1:8 and 1:9, but certainly no slower than 1:9 if you want to be sure that you will stabilize the 160+ target bullets.

Personally I prefer a 1:8.5, in the same way I prefer a 308 in 1:10 - even though a 1:11.25 or 1:12 will certainly handle the bullets I care to use from my 308 rifle.

I shoot a .280 Remington for Long Range. Pushing the 175gr SMK's at around 2890fps out of a 30" barrel. Just wondering if the 7mm-08 is properly throated what velocity could one expect?

With the lack of being able to walk in and buy the powder you want,,,,,,, I have some Reloader 17 available and was wondering if anybody is using that in their 7-08.
Used my 7-08 for hunting deer last season shooting 168 berger vld hunting. It preformed very well.

Reloader 17 is great for the heavies 160+ gr. I use it exclusively for the 162 gr A-Max , 2800 fps, 26 " tube.

I shoot a .280 Remington for Long Range. Pushing the 175gr SMK's at around 2890fps out of a 30" barrel. Just wondering if the 7mm-08 is properly throated what velocity could one expect?

I've read of folks getting anywhere between 2650 and 2725 from the 175smk in 708.

If you do a muzzle energy balance, assuming a 162@2800, the 175 ought to go ~2700.

A friend of mine just recently tried the 180 hybrid from his 708. He usually runs the 162amax over 45.5gr H4350, for ~2770. Anyway, he worked up to 44.5gr with the Berger, and still hasn't gotten a stiff bolt or ejector mark!

Unfortunately, he hasn't had the chance to run them over the chrono yet. He did shoot them out to ~750 yards recently, and found that his 162@2770 dope was pretty much spot on for steel targets. Hard to guess what the velocity is based on that, though... It's tough to predict BC or Velocity differences at "only" 750 yards with high BC bullets.

Thanks for the replies all, looks like 1:8 to 1:9 is the way to go. Would a 1:8 or say 1:8.5 be too fast to stabilise the smaller varmint loads? I.e Nosler 140gr ballistic tips?

thanks for the reply. I will try the reloader 17. This rifle has shot everything very well, so I have no doubts about finding something with the R-17 that it will like.

Well I read the whole thing.
Makes my head hurt with all that match and shit.
Here is what I know from experience. If I want to win I shoot my 7MM08. I have the most confidence in it.
If I want to kill something(mostly white tail) I pick up my 7MM08.
If I just want to have lots of fun banging the long range steel I ........... well you know ^
Yes, I have a 308 and a 260 and a 6.5CM. But when the distance gets past 600 I want that 7MM08 snugged up to my shoulder.

I agree. My 7mm08 is my "go to" rifle because it justs works reliably and predictably every time.
I am Down Under and it is the most common calibre for Silhouettes here. The 6.5x47L is catching on though.
Everything mentioned so far in favour of the 7mm08 still doesn't explain why it is not more popular as a competitive round.

One of our first LR pistols was chambered in 7-08. It was a factory chambering and with the 15" barrel we couldn't generate enough velocity to get the advantage of the 162 bullets. A buddy stumbled onto the 140 Berger VLD and there were perfect in our short barrels. It ran them at 2750 fps using 44gr of IMR4064. I don't see many running the lighter bullet but I think it would surprise them if they did. Faster velocity, less recoil and flat shooting. Since I didn't have a rifle to try them in I can't say how they would do heads up against the heavier bullets but in a short barrel it might be an option to try.

Topstrap

7mm-08 on left, 7mm Ti (Tactically Improved) on right...both at 2.950" COAL

30° shoulder, .330" long neck, bullet loaded north of the neck/shoulder junction. Should feed right nice from AICS and AW magazines. Case capacity remains within .5gr H2O of the parent.

Very interesting turbo. Have you shot it much or is this just an idea?

My "non-typical-ish" in 7-08 is now one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Rem 700, Bartlein 1:8.7 @ 24inches, Manners SL, APA RTG DBM. Mighty fine package. Flings the 140 Berger VLD right at 2800fps with Varget in a Winchester case into tiny groups at 200yds. Tough trying to decide if it'll be enough for Elk, or maybe just stick with the .300WM....

Last edited:
Very interesting turbo. Have you shot it much or is this just an idea?

Nope, just barely past vaporware currently. Literally just formed that first case in the sizing die last night. It'll look nicer, with a sharper and more defined shoulder once fired. The reamer set has been ordered and parts are trickling in. Should be shooting it this summer.

Not expecting any "miracles"...just a few improvements on the already marvelous 7-08. 7-08 Ackley is nice, but the 40° shoulder catches in mag boxes, and its blown forward shoulder exacerbates the deep-seated bullet issue when used in a mag-fed short action. Its short neck also takes away bullet choice versatility.

Anyway, I'll keep the 'hide apprised and updated as I progress.

Nope, just barely past vaporware currently. Literally just formed that first case in the sizing die last night. It'll look nicer, with a sharper and more defined shoulder once fired. The reamer set has been ordered and parts are trickling in. Should be shooting it this summer.

Not expecting any "miracles"...just a few improvements on the already marvelous 7-08. 7-08 Ackley is nice, but the 40° shoulder catches in mag boxes, and its blown forward shoulder exacerbates the deep-seated bullet issue when used in a mag-fed short action. Its short neck also takes away bullet choice versatility.

Anyway, I'll keep the 'hide apprised and updated as I progress.

I had to massage the lips on the accurate mags to get the 40 degree Ackley to feed. I've been meaning to order a WSM mag to try out.

I had to massage the lips on the accurate mags to get the 40 degree Ackley to feed. I've been meaning to order a WSM mag to try out.

I should have mentioned a key design factor was ability to fit/feed/function from AIAW magazines, which have a reinforcement rib that interferes with the 243ai/260ai/708ai shoulder location.

I should have mentioned a key design factor was ability to fit/feed/function from AIAW magazines, which have a reinforcement rib that interferes with the 243ai/260ai/708ai shoulder location.

I'm running a manners chassis system so right now I'm running accurate mags. I want to trythe WSM mags since they don't have the spacer plate and I might not have to bend the feed lips as much.

Im starting a build I have everything I need except a barrel, was going to go with a 260 or the 7-08 I would like to know about wind drift before I make up my mind. I live in a wind tunnel most days 15-30 mph dont have any experience with either round and ne ver considered the 7-08 till sombody mentioned it in another thred the directed me to this one so if you live in a windy area can you share your thoughts please.

Im starting a build I have everything I need except a barrel, was going to go with a 260 or the 7-08 I would like to know about wind drift before I make up my mind. I live in a wind tunnel most days 15-30 mph dont have any experience with either round and ne ver considered the 7-08 till sombody mentioned it in another thred the directed me to this one so if you live in a windy area can you share your thoughts please.

They are within a 10th of a mil in wind depending on how hard they are pushed.

This thread has pretty much made up my mind for me that I am going to do a 7-08 for an all around hunting rifle. The more I research 7-08 the more it just makes since.

IMG_1410 (800x533).jpg
My 7-08 got bit of an upgrade.

Reading this thread is motivating me to finish up my 7mm-08 AI. Need to bed it and finish up the barrel channel.

I used to tell people to buy only military caliber rifles, because ammo was cheap and plenty... not anymore! Now when I go into a shop, 7mm-08, 260 Rem, etc. are what's available while .30-06, .308, etc. are long gone. Same with reloading- much easier to find 7mm bullets in stock. I like the versatility of 7mm too. 160+ for game, 120 or less for predators.

Well, 31.0 min. on the small IPSC @ 1000. Minimal wind correction needed. 2650, sea level, 78 degrees. can't be far from that number.

Considering this or 6.5 cm, .260 or 7saum. I used to reload pistol ammo, but have never reloaded match rifle ammo. Need to learn... What do you guys think?

Considering this or 6.5 cm, .260 or 7saum. I used to reload pistol ammo, but have never reloaded match rifle ammo. Need to learn... What do you guys think?

For what purpose?

I'd think it would be obvious that in a thread about 7-08, most of the responses will be biased towards 708.

7saum is a LOT of cartridge for target shooting inside 1000 yards. It is the clear winner of the group for ELR.

Between the 6.5cm, 260 and 708...the 6.5s are usually going to be a little flatter while the 7 has a slight edge in wind, as well as significantly better barrel life - all other factors equal.

Would be used for anything from matches to ELR paper/steel (have access to 2k yards worth of range for shooting, not that I ever expect to stretch any of those calibers that far). No hunting for me, have dedicated hunting rifles for anything there is to hunt around here.
Looking over the options I'd really like to have the capability to stretch past 1k reliably. How is the 708 at distance?
Barrel life is definitely inportant, but so is overall cost of shooting since I'm one of those broke college kids ha.

Would be used for anything from matches to ELR paper/steel (have access to 2k yards worth of range for shooting, not that I ever expect to stretch any of those calibers that far). No hunting for me, have dedicated hunting rifles for anything there is to hunt around here.
Looking over the options I'd really like to have the capability to stretch past 1k reliably. How is the 708 at distance?
Barrel life is definitely inportant, but so is overall cost of shooting since I'm one of those broke college kids ha.

I can run my 7-08 to 1300 yards easy with the glass I have ontop of it. Past that and it gets a bit tougher. As long as your going after steal at or under that range and you're good. My 7rem mag is almost complete and it's my 2k rig. If you want something that is economical to shoot and good to 1300 then go 7-08 because the rem mag is an expensive SOB.

Good luck,
Merritt

I've got a 7-08 being built by PCR right now.rem 700 action,Bartlein 9 twist 5r heavy varmint finished at 27" from the lug.Its going in a Mcrees chassis I already have sitting in the safe.A couple months away,can't wait.Just need to figure out optics.

This thread has pretty much made up my mind for me that I am going to do a 7-08 for an all around hunting rifle. The more I research 7-08 the more it just makes since.

I've been considering the same thing for quite some time. I can find no reason not to. The cartridge lends its self to a fast-handling "walking rifle" or "mountain rifle". It would be a good little brother to my .280 AI.

You guys don't need to start these 7-08 builds, its hard enough finding 7-08 brass as it is. But for those that insist on making my life harder, you'll love em. Took these 2 out for a spin this morning. Running a Berger 168 VLD @ 2775 fps in the 700 VLS in back and a Berger 140 VLD @ 3000 fps in the Obermyer barreled build in front. I had intentions of selling the VLS so I figured I would shoot a 5-shot, 100 yd group( pic below) to put in the ad. Needless to say, I'm having doubts now on selling it cause it'll turn in 5-shot groups like this all the time.

euobrn.jpg

16jhvzs.jpg

Timely thread..
A 708 has been on my list for a bit. I am going to get one with. 20" barrel for my 16 year old as his little brother is taking over the 243. I hunt with a 280AI and have a lot of bullets in 7Mm from 120 TTSX and BTs up.

I think a 120 TTSX at pushing 3k out if a 20" barrel would be a dandy little hunting rifle.

You guys don't need to start these 7-08 builds, its hard enough finding 7-08 brass as it is. But for those that insist on making my life harder, you'll love em. Took these 2 out for a spin this morning. Running a Berger 168 VLD @ 2775 fps in the 700 VLS in back and a Berger 140 VLD @ 3000 fps in the Obermyer barreled build in front. I had intentions of selling the VLS so I figured I would shoot a 5-shot, 100 yd group( pic below) to put in the ad. Needless to say, I'm having doubts now on selling it cause it'll turn in 5-shot groups like this all the time. Quote from mbp708

Yea, What he said

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I've got a 7mm-08 currently underway and l'm really looking forward to it. I hope like hell, though, that some of these muzzle velocities I see posted are true and not the biproduct of our over inflated egos--we do tend to exaggerate from time to time given that we are motivated by numbers. The new Nosler Accubond LR pills at 150 and 168 gr with BC's of .611 and .652 respectively should be outstanding and if I could get 2750 ft/s out of the latter, that would awesome. I am just skeptical to believe what I am reading about people getting 2800+ ft/s out of the 162 grain Amax and such. All I can say is that I hope like hell this is true.

Reloader 17 is great for the heavies 160+

Has anyone tried superformance powder in the 7-08? It might be a little slow on the burn rate but with heavy bullets and maybe mag primers it might be just the ticket to get a couple hundred extra fps...

I've got a 7mm-08 currently underway and l'm really looking forward to it. I hope like hell, though, that some of these muzzle velocities I see posted are true and not the biproduct of our over inflated egos--we do tend to exaggerate from time to time given that we are motivated by numbers. The new Nosler Accubond LR pills at 150 and 168 gr with BC's of .611 and .652 respectively should be outstanding and if I could get 2750 ft/s out of the latter, that would awesome. I am just skeptical to believe what I am reading about people getting 2800+ ft/s out of the 162 grain Amax and such. All I can say is that I hope like hell this is true.

I get 2,800 with a 140 in my 22" barreled 700 Mountain Guide. This is just me but if I want 2,800 out of a 162 I'm going up to a 280 AI...

7-08 was Malcolm Cooper's, founder of AI and several times Olympic and World Champion, favourite round. I've wached him shoot 2" 10 round Groups@300m prone with sling and open sights using his own AI prototype matchrifles.

My "non-typical-ish" in 7-08 is now one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Rem 700, Bartlein 1:8.7 @ 24inches, Manners SL, APA RTG DBM. Mighty fine package. Flings the 140 Berger VLD right at 2800fps with Varget in a Winchester case into tiny groups at 200yds. Tough trying to decide if it'll be enough for Elk, or maybe just stick with the .300WM....

Pics please!

I get 2,800 with a 140 in my 22" barreled 700 Mountain Guide. This is just me but if I want 2,800 out of a 162 I'm going up to a 280 AI...

No need to go to a 280 AI for those velocities. Can get to 2900 fps with a 168 Berger out of a 26" tube with no pressure signs although I backed it down to 2775 fps for accuracy.

I average 2672 fps w/a 168 SMK from my 22" Heart barreled Vanguard 20' from the muzzle using 45.5 gr. of H-414. I have five pounds of RL-17 I might try to wake up the load, but I can get 2800 with the 175 Nosler partition and IMR 7828 from my 280AI Jarrett Rifle if that helps.