• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08

I've not been able to find any amax in aus. Hopefully they start coming back soon as I'd love to try them. I did find 1 box of 162 hpbt and found them to work well, I've not shot it over 500 metres yet though.

Here is mine with her new w3

jenyguta.jpg

I got the last 5 boxes from QGE, and the last 3 from Cleavers before supplies dried up :)

Here's mine. Loves the 162 amax as that is what it was built for. 49g of H4350 gets me 2850fps out of a 24" rock creek barrel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 27
I think people are after a little more horse power from the 6.5 and 6mm's. I love 7mms of all types. I consider it the best selection of bullet weights 180 grain and under than can be pushed crazy fast without a ton of powder. Those high BCs do the rest. that said, it sucks get 162 amax and 180 bergers right now. My 7remmag is running 5.8 mils to 1000 and hits with authority, Shot a 6" group at a 1000 with it a few weeks ago.

I am wanting to do a 7x57 build now with a tight twist, loaded long, with capacity near 53 grains. Think I can get the 162 amax (if they show up again) to 3000 with it with no real signs of pressure.

This is 7-08?

Yes. I built the rifle around the the 162 amax and wanted 2800fps and got 2850. All my research said the 8.7 twist rock creek was the fastest 284 barrel at the time. Disclaimer. This is my rifle and the load for IT only.

Last edited:
Yes. I built the rifle around the the 162 amax and wanted 2800fps and got 2850. All my research said the 8.7 twist rock creek was the fastest 284 barrel at the time. Disclaimer. This is my rifle and the load for IT only.

Supposedly, Hornady was going to manufacture these again this year (it was on their list)- but damn if I've seen any yet.

Mine shoots the 150 SMK's really well- actually, a bit better than the 162's; but I can't beat the BC of the 162 for 1000 yard plinking. I don't want to spend $.50 bullet for Bergers...but might have to soon. I've always thought 175's were too heavy for this chambering. Seems you would have to load them REALLY hot to get enough velocity with that heavy a pill?

Don't worry, I won't be trying 49gr. H4350 In my 7-08. I have heard of some fast numbers in this round. Its encouraging. 25" Broughton on order, would settle for a good node at 2700.

Supposedly, Hornady was going to manufacture these again this year (it was on their list)- but damn if I've seen any yet.

Mine shoots the 150 SMK's really well- actually, a bit better than the 162's; but I can't beat the BC of the 162 for 1000 yard plinking. I don't want to spend $.50 bullet for Bergers...but might have to soon. I've always thought 175's were too heavy for this chambering. Seems you would have to load them REALLY hot to get enough velocity with that heavy a pill?
The 168 mk is a good compromise. The 168 berger seems to be close to the 162gr Amax just a touch longer.

Working on a new load using the 140 Accubond and Varget.
42.0 grains getting good accuracy and speed. 2745 out of a 20" barrel. This will be a load for hunting.

I hope to have this hunting rifle build tikka finished within the month. It will be a 708 22" Bart 9twist. I am going to load berger 168 classics with 2000mr, varget, and h4350.

Just dropped off a pile of parts to gre-tan rifles for my build. Mcmillian a3, 10 twist Broughton with a #5. Hoping to shoot 168 vld. With varget as I have tons of both. Can't wait. If some of these velocities are accurate it seems to be just shy of my 7rm. I push 168 vld outta that at around 3010.

I have a model 7 SS with black synthetic stock that i use for hunting. It is a nail driver light weight low recoil shoots great!
Nosler trophy grade 140 gr 200 yrd zero