• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Mag and 162 gr AMax

bjohnson_7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
by the river TN
I have a remington 700 with a trued action, hvy sporter barrel, and soon to have an hs stock. I am going to start reloading and I need a data table on this load. I am going to use Nosler brass and Fed. 215 primers. Also how well does this bullet perform on deer as I am considering on hunting with this load as well. How does it perform at high velocity at short ranges?

Re: 7mm Mag and 162 gr AMax

I use them with great results on paper. Rem brass, Fed 215, 67gr of R22, 3.395 oal. No chrony but most data puts it around 3000fps. Good luck finding them. I look EVERYDAY at several vendors to no avail. I contacted Hornady and they say they are BO'd and will begin production in Aug/Sept.

glad I have 10 boxes still then...
grin.gif

it is a great combo for sure. them and the 168 VLD's in 7 RM
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glad I have 10 boxes still then...
grin.gif

it is a great combo for sure. them and the 168 VLD's in 7 RM
cool.gif
</div></div>

Care to sell a box or two?? I have 100 left but am doing Vu's beginner long range course in Sept. and need 80 rounds just for that plus I need to get some shooting in prior. I hate to look like a total 'tard out there. Thats my sad story, hope it helps
grin.gif

Luckily my dealer here in Savannah has about 5 or 6 boxes left. They aren't making them with moly coating anymore are they? Oh and no one said how they performed on deer at shorter ranges lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and no one said how they performed on deer at shorter ranges lol. </div></div>

If you’re looking for a bullet with violent expansion that may or may not exit, the Amax is your Huckleberry
wink.gif
We tried them two years ago and they do kill shit but, even at 400+ yards, they do make a mess. Try the Sierra Game Kings or Bergers, you'll love em.

Ok thanks thats what I was wondering...I thought about the GameKings but they just didn't have the BC that the AMax does..I also thought about Bergers but I just now got my reloading equipment and havent ran any through yet...so this will be my first load and I'm not quite sure how far out the bullets are supposed to stick out.

short answer: slightly shorter than your magazine length or .020" off the lands, whichever is shortest.

BUT, i usually try to seat so the bullets are in contact with the lands when the cartridge is chambered. this requires reducing the powder charge and a chamber cut shorter than the magazine.

so in my 7mmRM Winchester Laredo the COAL is 3.375" with the 162 A-Max, and this fits the magazine and gets me to the lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so this will be my first load and I'm not quite sure how far out the bullets are supposed to stick out. </div></div>

I tried from .013 off to just touching the lands and came up with .010 off as best overall. You will have to experiment with your set-up to see what works best.