• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm projectiles

Gilly

On Target
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2009
Coloarado
So I am in the process of building a 7mm WSM looking at a 27 inch barrel custom action mcmillan a5... I see most everyone running the 180 vld with excellent results at 2950 even up to 3000 fps. My question is why not run the hornady 162 amax at 3150 which I have seen load data for out of a 27 inch barrel? Looking at JBM out to 1800 yards comparing the two the amax has 63 inches less drop, 47 fps faster, only 2 inches more wind drift and 17 ft. lbs less engergy at 1800. Wouldn't the slight disadvantage in drift and energy be worth the 5 feet less drop? Trying to decide which bullet I want to use to get the barrel throated for them. Help me out on what I may be missing with the bergers. At long ranges only be punching paper and steel. Thanks.

Re: 7mm projectiles

Velocity isn't the only thing to look at. I've got a 7mmWSM and shoot 180 Bergers because there more accurate. Tried the 162's and they just didn't perform as well. My advise is get a box of both and see which one works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinzmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity isn't the only thing to look at. I've got a 7mmWSM and shoot 180 Bergers because there more accurate. Tried the 162's and they just didn't perform as well. My advise is get a box of both and see which one works. </div></div>

+1 Same here. My old barrel, the 162s would shoot 4-5" groups. I put the 180 Bergers in and it's back to normal. I would like to go back to the 162s and they can be pushed faster, but I have so many Bergers, I really don't have any reason to.

I have buddies who have used 168 vld's with great success, you can push them faster than the 180's but still keep a good bc

Gravity is always constant, (or so I'm lead to believe) so predicting drop never gives you surprise results. The wind is the factor that is always changing and is difficult to predict, so the load which gives you the least wind drift is usually most desirable for long range shooting as it will be the most forgiving to errors in calculating dope.

Thanks for the link Graham very informative reading. Based on that I would think an 8.5 or 9 twist would be ideal for either bullet to stabalize. Can anyone tell me if the JBM data is accurate? That article has me wondering if Hornady has an inflated B.C. on the Amax, not necassarily intentionaly but by computer calculation error. Has anyone shot both the 180 and 162 at long range and compared actual trajectory or wind drift? I agree with what others said above about trying both to see what the rifle likes. My main concern with the vld is seating deapth being limited by mag length on a short action, too far into build to swith to long action. Thanks

Per Brian Litz:

Hornady 162 grain Amax G7 BC 0.307 Corrected G1 BC 0.599
Berger 0.284" 180gr VLD G7 0.337
Sierra 0.284" 175gr Matchking G7 0.327

you should really try the 190 or 168 matrix bullets
i shoot the 190 in my 7mmsaum at 2800
really accurate easy to load jump like a smk

have shot them out to 650 and so far the bc- .805
is right on the money
im going to try the 168s next... maybe cause the 190s are great
and really i dont need to go faster
well see

yeah the matrix bullets are bad to the bone, huge BC numbers and from what I have seen in BK's rifle super accurate. I shoot the 162 amax out of my .284 and I love them. I would not trade them for any other. Good BC. good value. and easy to shoot really accurate.

Please forgive my weak search fu but I am trying to gather info on the differences b/t the 7WSM, 7SAUM and 7RUM and have had no luck so far, this thread seems to contain some knowledge on the 7mm so I'll bore you guys.
wink.gif
Links to good articles, keywords to search for or just tell me to feck off would be appreciated. The more I read on the 7mm the more I am intrigued by it.

eta: I almost forgot the .284

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please forgive my weak search fu but I am trying to gather info on the differences b/t the 7WSM, 7SAUM and 7RUM and have had no luck so far</div></div>

This is a page I consult often when I'm looking at strictly numbers. 7mm Cartridge Guide
It's mostly the short action 7mm stuff but it will get you started. Doing google searches for them is a good way to start to. It will usually have a Wikipedia in the top 10 results that will tell you the history of the cartridge, its dimentions and more or less what it's capable of.

7mm SAUM
7mm WSM
7mm RUM
7mm STW

I pushed the AMaxs at 3,150, but it was an 8 twist barrel and they didn't like it. The 100 yards groups were great, but not all of them made it past 200 yards. They turned to little gray puffs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a page I consult often when I'm looking at strictly numbers. 7mm Cartridge Guide
It's mostly the short action 7mm stuff but it will get you started. Doing google searches for them is a good way to start to. It will usually have a Wikipedia in the top 10 results that will tell you the history of the cartridge, its dimentions and more or less what it's capable of.

7mm SAUM
7mm WSM
7mm RUM
7mm STW </div></div>

Wiki is the first place that I go to get specs and any history, unfortunately the Wiki writeups for these are pretty limited. I do appreciate the response and was not aware of the 7mm STW until now, looks interesting. I'll keep looking to understand the differences b/t the different 7mm offerings.

I've shot the AMAX, VLD and SMK to 2000 yards. The AMAX was all over the place, except the target. The VLD and the SMK performed very similarly. I run the SMK's now due to cost. I have a fresh 500 box of the new 180 SMK's ready to shoot at 2k this weekend.

Whats the story with recommended twists for the 180 Bergers and the 180 Sierras?

I know Berger VLDs usually require a bit faster twist than "normal" bullets do, but it seems the Sierra 180s are insisting on a 1:8 twist, while Berger only recommends a 1:9.

Any info on the reason for this?

The 7mm 175 SMK's Sierra is recommending a 8.5 twist, but I know for fact that they will do just fine in a 9 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot the AMAX, VLD and SMK to 2000 yards. The AMAX was all over the place, except the target. The VLD and the SMK performed very similarly. I run the SMK's now due to cost. I have a fresh 500 box of the new 180 SMK's ready to shoot at 2k this weekend. </div></div>

Do you happen to have atmospheric and muzzle velocity data on this? I've shot the 180 Berger Hybrid from a 280 and a 7/300 WSM. When they start to transition they don't remain stable through the sound barrier for me. Here's what I was doing with them:

9tw barrel
2740fps (soft 280 Rem load)
29.4 inHg, 95*F

9tw barrel
2850fps (soft 7/300 WSM load)
29.1 inHg, 45*F

the new Sierra 180smk is listed as having a 1:8 twist requirement, because they anticipate the 7/08 shooter will use them and at the slower velocities a 1:9 may not stabilize them. If you shoot them at or above 2,800 fps, a 1:9 is supposed to be fine for the 180 smks, just like it is for the Berger 180s.

To date I have not shot my 180 Berger vlds beyond 1,800 yards, but they were stable out to that point. I hope to venture further in a month or two when i can escape to the desert again.

Bohem are you and Francis going to be able to make that trip? I'll get Toposniper and my brother to join us (maybe a few more). It would be nice to see you shoot your 6-06 or better yet your 7/300WSM to a mile and beyond on my plate steel targets.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bohem are you and Francis going to be able to make that trip? I'll get Toposniper and my brother to join us (maybe a few more). It would be nice to see you shoot your 6-06 or better yet your 7/300WSM to a mile and beyond on my plate steel targets.

JeffVN </div></div>

If I can get out to SHOT again next year then I will plan to get there a day or two early and we can have a Desert Day. I'll bring the 7/300 and Francis will get his 6.5-06 with the long (32") barrel out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please forgive my weak search fu but I am trying to gather info on the differences b/t the 7WSM, 7SAUM and 7RUM and have had no luck so far, this thread seems to contain some knowledge on the 7mm so I'll bore you guys.
wink.gif
Links to good articles, keywords to search for or just tell me to feck off would be appreciated. The more I read on the 7mm the more I am intrigued by it.

eta: I almost forgot the .284 </div></div>

Honeslty if you have to ask this question. MAN! Im not trying to pick on you or bicker but sometimes I would PM someone before I outright posted something straight DUMBASS like this. DO you have no experience with any .284 diamater bullet or any bullet in general? Not trying to be mean man but I would not want to be at a range by you or in a tourney with your lack of knowledge of basic stuff that 90-95% of hunters who don't LR shoot or do anything else than whitetail, muley, or pronghorn hunt would easily answer that question. GEEZ man! Your screenname is fitting! JMO (which is "JUST MY OPINION" before you ask)
smile.gif

Apparently a lot of guys on this AND other forums have never heard the phrase "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

I want to start off by thanking the originators of this thread for the good info and apologizing for the distraction, I have enjoyed the info I have read here and hope this gets back on topic. Shooter308, you are welcome to swing by my house anytime to borrow my hose. Have a nice day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honeslty if you have to ask this question. MAN! Im not trying to pick on you or bicker but sometimes I would PM someone before I outright posted something straight DUMBASS like this. DO you have no experience with any .284 diamater bullet or any bullet in general? Not trying to be mean man but I would not want to be at a range by you or in a tourney with your lack of knowledge of basic stuff that 90-95% of hunters who don't LR shoot or do anything else than whitetail, muley, or pronghorn hunt would easily answer that question. GEEZ man! Your screenname is fitting! JMO (which is "JUST MY OPINION" before you ask)
smile.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot the AMAX, VLD and SMK to 2000 yards. The AMAX was all over the place, except the target. The VLD and the SMK performed very similarly. I run the SMK's now due to cost. I have a fresh 500 box of the new 180 SMK's ready to shoot at 2k this weekend. </div></div>

Do you happen to have atmospheric and muzzle velocity data on this? I've shot the 180 Berger Hybrid from a 280 and a 7/300 WSM. When they start to transition they don't remain stable through the sound barrier for me. Here's what I was doing with them:

9tw barrel
29.4 inHg, 95*F

9tw barrel
29.1 inHg, 45*F

</div></div>I'd have to go look in my log book but off the top of my head, 50* ish, around 2500 DA at 2600 FASL. 2975 FPS avg out of a 26", 8.5 Krieger. I shot an sub MOA (barely
laugh.gif
)5 shot group at 2k with the 175's. I was very, very surprised at how stable they remained through the transition.

Oh and shooter308 or whatever your name is? No need to be a complete asshole about it. You could have told him politely. I mean geez, who claims to be an expert in something and then goes around acting like a 308 is the be all and end all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot the AMAX, VLD and SMK to 2000 yards. The AMAX was all over the place, except the target. The VLD and the SMK performed very similarly. I run the SMK's now due to cost. I have a fresh 500 box of the new 180 SMK's ready to shoot at 2k this weekend. </div></div>

9tw barrel
29.4 inHg, 95*F

9tw barrel
29.1 inHg, 45*F

</div></div>I'd have to go look in my log book but off the top of my head, 50* ish, around 2500 DA at 2600 FASL. 2975 FPS avg out of a 26", 8.5 Krieger. I shot an sub MOA (barely
laugh.gif
)5 shot group at 2k with the 175's. I was very, very surprised at how stable they remained through the transition.

Oh and shooter308 or whatever your name is? No need to be a complete asshole about it. You could have told him politely. I mean geez, who claims to be an expert in something and then goes around acting like a 308 is the be all and end all? </div></div>

H'Billy-

Thanks for the data. Were you getting both the Berger VLD's and the 175 SMK's to transition or just the 175 SMK's?

I've heard from a few people that the 7mm 175 SMK transitions well, but nobody's ever qualified that with the atmos. the test was performed in.

Nice shooting BTW, MOA @ 2000yd is impressive, even more so with the smaller calibers like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I can get out to SHOT again next year then I will plan to get there a day or two early and we can have a Desert Day. I'll bring the 7/300 and Francis will get his 6.5-06 with the long (32") barrel out. </div></div>

And I'll bring my .284
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I can get out to SHOT again next year then I will plan to get there a day or two early and we can have a Desert Day. I'll bring the 7/300 and Francis will get his 6.5-06 with the long (32") barrel out. </div></div>

And I'll bring my .284
smile.gif
</div></div>

Inviting yourself along again huh?

That's fine I suppose, we can use someone to hustle downrange to hang targets
wink.gif

OK, time for me to add in my bit for the .280 Rem. It's a very easy cartridge to do development for, but a lot of the load data out there may be a tad misleading.

I started with a lighter bullet, the 120gr Nosler BT, and was pleased with its flat shooting accuracy. For deer within 300yd, it's essentially like shooting a laser.

I also began to notice that even at max charges, there were no pressure signs. Then I read a few widely spread comments about the cartridge having been initially offered in pumps and semis, and that factory and published loads were kept lower. Not because of pressure issues; but because of these actions' tendencies to have extraction issues with warmer loads.

So I went back and reexamined the load data, and began to understand that very few loads were published that exceeded 50,000. Fine for the semis and pumps, but perhaps somewhat anemic for a modern bolt gun. Where I could find loads that worked to a higher, perhaps more appropriate pressure; the performance began to look a lot more satisfactory.

For example, loads at the sub 50,000 levels worked out to 2800fps or so with the Nosler 150gr BT. Not shabby but not impressive either. Other loads put the same bullet out at 2900, 2950, 3000, and even 3050+ fps. When one considers the performance of a (G-1) .493 BC running around 2900fps, interest increases. That's supersonic out to 1000yd and rather well beyond, as well. When one considers that this is coming from a 150gr bullet, issues like recoil, etc., also begin to look interesting.

That's on paper, and that's where my work stands for now. I have H4831SC, new Win brass and 100 Nosler 150gr BT's. More to follow.

Meanwhile, it's getting easier to find interest in the 7mm, and to also consider the possibility that fair to middlin' LR performance need not be wedded to the extreme heavy end of the bullet weight spectrum.

Greg

So are the numbers on the Matrix 168 for real? I see Litz had info on the 190 but the 168 have not seen much. That would be an awesome combination of speed and BC if their number is accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And I'll bring my .284
smile.gif
</div></div>

Inviting yourself along again huh?

That's fine I suppose, we can use someone to hustle downrange to hang targets
wink.gif
</div></div>

Im always good for a laugh..

Gilly

Haven't checked the numbers, but a useful exercise is to run JBM at 1800Yds and at 1820-1850Yds. Observe the time of flight numbers and the additional drop from which one can estimate (or calculate) the vertical speed of the bullet. The vertical becomes a substantial component at long flight times.
Same exercise yields the horizontal speed (wind component). Wind (steady) is also a parabolic component, but of less effect than gravity at very long ranges.
On the other hand, gravity is very repeatable and predictable, wind is wind.JMHO

Graham ,
I was reading your link and started to wonder about the g1 bc for 7wsm 180 vld.. I normally use the standard bc of .659
but my velocity is around 2920fps.
(your link)stated on page 8 at bottom of drag chart.
(*Berger advertises a BCG1 of 0.684 for this bullet between 1500 fps and 2900 fps (4% error).)
so do i need to change my bc? or stay with the average?
thanks

Greg, I totally agree. I happen to have some 130 SSTs loaded for antelope in my 270 WSM. When you look at 3260 MV with a .460 G1 BC, it can really reach out there.

I finally loaded up some pressure/accuracy testing loads for the 150 Nos BT, using 55gr of H4831SC. These have yet to be shot. They are at or around the published max. Will be watching them closely for pressure issues, to see where the published max comes in on the pressure signs range. Hoping to try them sometime in the next week or two, using both .280's of mine (Ruger MKI's, one sporter, one varmint).

Greg