• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Rem Mag 180 ELD-M vs 190 A-Tip question

Grim's Reapers

Operator
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2024
South Florida
Anyone have experience with shooting both of these 7mm bullets out of the Rem Mag cartridge? I know a lot of guys are shooting them out of SAUM and PRC.

My 7RM is 26" 1:8 twist.

Obviously, they'll be utilized for long range stuff, but I have had a couple ELD-M's come apart recently in the mid 2900 muzzle velocity range. I've haven't loaded up any 190 A-Tips as yet.

Really not interested in hearing about Berger or Sierra bullets. Am just curious about people's experience with the heavy ELD-M's and A-Tips as that's what I currently have.

No experience with the Atips but I've had enough 180 ELDMs come apart in my 8 twist 7 RM that I'll no longer use them.
I figured. It's kind of aggravating because the vast majority of my ELDM's have done just fine and are absolute snipers out past 600.

But wondering in the back of my head as I pull the trigger if it's going to blow up or not is unacceptable. Which is an absolute shit show because I have 350 of the damned things left. LOL

why are you not interested in the best performance bullets available? Berger.

Reactions: warnera1102
I had issues with the ELD-M being inconsistent in performance and exploding when ran hard. I switched to Berger 184's in a 7mmRM which is all that gun will ever seen again. My goal was to push it to a mile and the ELDM did not meet my needs.

imagejpeg_0.jpg
Snapchat-624678951.jpg

Take that information for what its worth. I'm running 3030fps at sea level in a 26" barrel with a KGM can.

Reactions: Grim's Reapers
why are you not interested in the best performance bullets available? Berger.
I think I mentioned in my original post that I only have ELD-M and A-Tip at the moment. And the purpose of the post was to see what other shooters are experiencing with these two particular bullets.

I think I mentioned in my original post that I only have ELD-M and A-Tip at the moment. And the purpose of the post was to see what other shooters are experiencing with these two particular bullets.
What is your goal? You can possibly run some ballistic comparisons to see if you can achieve it with either bullet. I don't know about you but.. Retumbo is expensive :D

Reactions: Grim's Reapers
What is your goal? You can possibly run some ballistic comparisons to see if you can achieve it with either bullet. I don't know about you but.. Retumbo is expensive :D
Yeah, I'm certainly not opposed to Retumbo sir. I have 5lbs of H1000 on hand and it's been a pretty good powder for me. Loaded short of pressure signs it fills the 7RM case nicely. My goal is 1000+ yard shooting. The 7RM can certainly fill the bill if the bullets don't come apart. I've had that problem obviously with the ELD-Ms, but haven't shot the 190gr A-Tip yet. The BC of that bullet is insane. BC means nothing if they come apart like ELD-Ms have though.

I started the thread to see if anyone out there had experience with A-Tips in a fast twist barreled 7RM. That 7RM with a 1:8 barrel spins them up pretty good. And fast.

And yes, I know. Bergers are better. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: warnera1102
So with an 8 twist at 2950 fps you are spinning that bullet at 265500 rpm. Pretty sure its been said on here that the eldm should not explode below 290000? This thread talks about the 147eldm and 153 A-tips mostly but there are mentions of the 180s blowing up too.

So with an 8 twist at 2950 fps you are spinning that bullet at 265500 rpm. Pretty sure its been said on here that the eldm should not explode below 290000? This thread talks about the 147eldm and 153 A-tips mostly but there are mentions of the 180s blowing up too.
Pretty interesting thread for sure. I can tell you that I've had maybe 5 out of 100 180 ELD-M's come apart on me. They don't do it right out of the barrel either. I didn't notice at first because I was shooting a few at 100 yards. Out at 300 I could hear them a poppin' prior to hitting the target. I did notice that Hornady's load data max's are lower than Hodgden's for 180 grains.

I'm fairly certain Hornady knows damned well they come apart. And it doesn't appear to be isolated to 7RM. Looks like the 6.5 Creeds are shedding their skin like a leper as well.

Reactions: Im2bent