• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7mm Rem Mag bullets?

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
Which is the best bullet to use for a 7RM? I'm thinking the sierra match king bthp, but I'm looking for a bullet that is good in both worlds, I.E. hunting and target. I really don't want to have to change ammo and scope settings every time I go hunting or target shooting. I am looking at 600yds or closer more then likely, mainly because the only range thats around here is simply 100yds.

Also is there a recommendation on grains? I have a LA Savage with a factory barrel (for know) and I am not sure of the twist rate. I know that it liked Accutip 140's, but have since done lots of work to the gun and am wanting to reload my own ammo for consistency. The sticky threads here on reloading are awesome by the way. Learning alot about match grade type reloading!
Thanks

Re: 7mm Rem Mag bullets?

162gr A-Max would be awesome in that 7 Mag. 160gr Accubonds could work a little better on large game and may be a little easier to load for accuracy since they won't be as sensitive to seating depth (secant ogive vs tangent). Inside 600 yards w/ a 7 Mag, anything over 150 grains will be very flat and will be effective.

+1 for Berger, its all I use out of my 7, and it has killed a whole lot of critters, big and small.

I use the SST and Amax in mine, 139-168 shoot lights out and are a little less expensive than Berger. Always wondered what the 175 SMK would do but never got around to testing.

What berger's hunting or target. I assume your talking about VLD's. I'm knew into reloading and have not yet bought anything. What primers do you guys use? I'm not sure exactly what to get, I assume it will be a large rifle primer, but I also see Magnum rifle primers. Thanks for the help guys.

I still have to buy a powder measurer and a friend of mine (who's experienced) is gonna help me out. I'll be using his press for now.

You should use magnum primers for the 7 mag. I use mostly the CCI primers because the Federal's are hard to come by. The Federal is supposed to be a better primer but I have had great luck with the CCI's. I don't have a 7 mag anymore but I think I was using H1000 and RL25 powder.

Just an FYI
I have and shoot 3 different 7mm mags. Rem 700, Savage and Tikka. I shoot 160 gr Barnes TSX in the Rem and Savage with 68grns Retumbo (due to powder shortage lately),CCI Magnum Primers and have 100 yard 3 shot groups touching each other. I found this to be a very leathal combination on elk and deer, none have made it more than 80 yards after hit with this load.
In the Tikka I shoot 175gr Hornady BT but can't remember the combination for it right now.
Good luck and good shooting

I am handling a 7 RM build for a friend. He wants a combo target/hunting rig also. I'm gearing the rifle around a 162 A-max. for deer/targets. If he wants to hunt anything larger than deer, we'll switch bullets........

I'm kind of old school with the 7mm Mag. I found a good combination using 150gn Nosler Ballistic Tips (or their cousins the 150gn Combined Technology Ballistic Tips), IMR4831 and Fed 215 Magnum Match primers; and I have not changed.

The load is accurate at 600 and hits hard. Longest shot on an animal for me is apprx. 400 yds on a pig (DRT); and several 250+ yard shots on deer (DRT).

I have also had good success with the 160gr. and 175gr. Sierra Gamekings using IMR 4831 and RL-22 but have only shot paper with those. I like what I see using RL-22 and 168gr Matchkings. I tried Hornadays a couple of times, but for me they never out performed the ballistic tips in 7mm RM.

I'm using the Berger 180 Hunting VLD in a Rem 700 24" tube and pushing it to 2850 fps with RL-25 and can put some nice groups on steel @ 600 yds. They fly real straight for a real long way. As for primers you always want to use Magnum primers of course, I have heard that the Federal primers have a bigger bang for the buck but to date have never used them, I have used CCI and Winchester primmers and there was no real diffrence in fps from either of my loads. Guess I'll have to buy some Federals and see if a guy can squeeze a few more fps out of a stone...

When I bought my 7mm Rem Mag I wanted to take advantege of the larger powder capacity with heavy bullets. I really favor bullets in the 175 family. It allows the gun to do what it was designed to do. My philosophy has always been shoot the heavy caliber bullets that match the barrel twist. If you like the 140 grain bullets you might want to try a lesser cartridge.