• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7MM SAUM...Action / Build Question

Toneloc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Hi Guys:

I’ve read lots on this forum, but never posted. I want to spec out my first custom rifle. I want something mid-weight, which will have long range capability for out West, but still light / practical for more frequent deer hunts out east. I’m thinking a 7MM SAUM with finished rifle weight of 7.5 – 8 #’s.

I really like the Surgeon actions, and realize it’s kind of ounce counting, but I would like to use the 591 WSM for weight and length reasons. I have seen some posts in the past that some favor the LA for the 7mm SAUM & WSM if you are shooting bergers or other long bullets. I want to shoot the 168 gr Berger VLDs…..I don’t really care about the slightly better ballistics of the 180 grn nor the new 7MM Berger that is supposed to be coming out soon.

My question is, can I get away with the Surgeon 591 WSM action, with the 168 gr Bergers? I don’t want to have to yank the bolt out for unloading…I’ve read some other posts on different forums about throating for bergers…can someone edumacate me on what that exactly means?

Thanks ahead for the reply.

Tony

Re: 7MM SAUM...Action / Build Question

The short action will do you great for the 7RSAUM and 168s. It will do very well with 180s too, by the way.

"Throating" for any given bullet, at any given COAL ( usually a function of what the magazine will allow) means cutting out the rifling lands, to make room for the bullet. The deeper the throat, the longer you can hang the bullet out of the case before it will contact the lands.

This is largely a non-issue with non-VLD bullets, but is a big deal with VLDs.

Sounds like you are off to a good start, with a good plan. You will love the 7SAUM, it has all the power you need for NA hunting and the range to go with it. There are plenty of good bullets to choose from as well, the 168 being one of them. Just make sure you use a good smith, and explain him your plans and all will go well.

Will be an awesome rifle as long as you use a smith that has or gets the reamer that you need for what bullet you are wanting to shoot out of the short action!

Take your chosen bullet and case, load a dummy round to your desired COAL and send the dummy round to Dave Kiff at PTG. He can grind you a custom reamer with the correct free bore.

I had PTG grind me a reamer for a 180 gr Hybrid loaded to 2.96 COAL for feeding out of a short action with Alpha Type 3 Mag. You will give up some case capacity with the short action, but it can work well. Mine shoots consistently in the 2's and 3'S. I have had my best results with N560 and Magpro behind the 180 gr Hybrid in Remington brass.

Toneloc,

I plan to do the same, but with a savage SA 7SAUM with 168 VLD. My max COAL is 2.975". MY smith said just load a dummy round to desired col and he will throat it for the 168.

Tw ejection port on the 591 wsm is only 2.5" so you will have a tough time making it work Without pulling the bolt to eject a live round I'd think.

The port length isn't really what determines the ability to eject a live round. The distance from the bolt face with the bolt back against the stop and the front of the port is a better indication. The round doesn't need to shift over parallel to the bore, the tip needs to clear the port then it can flip out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McFred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The port length isn't really what determines the ability to eject a live round. The distance from the bolt face with the bolt back against the stop and the front of the port is a better indication. The round doesn't need to shift over parallel to the bore, the tip needs to clear the port then it can flip out.</div></div>

Makes sense. My post was more of an observation from action specs and hoping someone would have some personal experience to confirm either way. Will the WSM action eject a loaded 168? What is max oal that is will eject?

Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback.

I am leaning towards a brake...any recommendations?

Was planning a fluted #5 contour to finish at 24" or 25". This would put me at about .700" diameter at the muzzle.

I like the looks of the Badger Thruster...but would rather have a brake that is turned to the same finish diameter as the barrel. I've read where it's not recommended to go under .800" for the thruster.

Any suggestions on brakes that can be turned down to .700" and still be effective?

Tony

Tigerfan... The surgeon WSM actions will easily eject a loaded round at 2.95. No problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toneloc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback.

I am leaning towards a brake...any recommendations?

Was planning a fluted #5 contour to finish at 24" or 25". This would put me at about .700" diameter at the muzzle.

I like the looks of the Badger Thruster...but would rather have a brake that is turned to the same finish diameter as the barrel. I've read where it's not recommended to go under .800" for the thruster.

Any suggestions on brakes that can be turned down to .700" and still be effective?

Tony </div></div>

I also like the clean look of a barrel-contoured brake...

...and part of the cost of getting that look is decreased effectiveness...

The most effective "slim" brakes are the radial type.

That said, any 3 or 4 port side discharge brake slimmed down to ~.700" is still going to take a lot of the edge off the recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toneloc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys:
I want to spec out my first custom rifle. I want something mid-weight, which will have long range capability for out West, but still light / practical for more frequent deer hunts out east. I’m thinking a 7MM SAUM with finished rifle weight of 7.5 – 8 #’s.
Tony
</div></div>

for what you describe, I would say 7-08 would be a better choice than a short mag, still good velocity for 168 or even 175 projectiles, more practical for a light rifle with little need for a brake (which can be a PITA for hunting)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toneloc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys:

I’ve read lots on this forum, but never posted. I want to spec out my first custom rifle. I want something mid-weight, which will have long range capability for out West, but still light / practical for more frequent deer hunts out east. I’m thinking a 7MM SAUM with finished rifle weight of 7.5 – 8 #’s.

Thanks ahead for the reply.

Tony
</div></div>

Tony,

I built a 7SAUM on a Remington LA with a 26" Krieger #5 and a McMillan Remington Classic stock. The rifle weighs 8 lbs 6 oz without scope or mount. Ready to hunt with a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR is 9 lbs 13 oz. Recoil with a Berger 180 at 2960 is acceptable. You could easily shoot it 20 times without feeling beaten up. With a fluted 24" or 25" barrel you should make your weight easily. You may also look at a #4 barrel. I built a 300 Jarrett on a Remington LA with a 24" #4 barrel, a Jarrett brake and the same McMillan stock. With a 3.5-10x40 Leupold, the rifle ready to hunt was 8.75 lbs. Recoil with a 200 gr partition at 3100 fps was surprisingly mild. You could shoot it offhand resting it on an open palm.

I hope the information is helpful. I think what you are planning wil meet your expectations.

Dan