• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WHAT????

doninreno

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2018
I have an odd problem here (MAYBE an opportunity for all I know!), so here it is---I shot out my 284 Win on an accurized by Long Rifles, Inc (LRI) long action Rem 700 that I use for a 1000 yard gun, so I bought a new barrel and sent barrel and action off to my smith who managed to not notice that the threads in the action had been opened out a tad by LRI when they accurised the first (Krieger) barrel. THEN he noticed it after threading it for standard Remington 700 threads and chambering it for 284 Win!. So he called me and confessed to his "oopsy" and has stopped for now and I need to figure out what to do as what I wanted was a barrel finished to 26 inches and the only way to put that barrel back on the LRI accurised action is to shorten it to 24" and proceed.....So, now I have (actually HE still has it) a perfectly good barrel chambered for 284 Win with a standard Rem 700 thread on it finished to 26" and I am wondering what to do....Order a new 7mm barrel and have him start all over in order to get what I originally wanted and do something else with the barrel that he "oopsied"? It is a perfectly nice (brand new)7mm/.284 Bartlein SS M24 contour w/8.7 twist ($370.00 shipped to my door, so I DO NOT want to just make it into a tomato stake!) OR maybe have it re-chambered for something else, shortened to 24" and use it on another action? I don't have a spare Rem 700 long action and/or extra long action stock (could maybe buy a "donor" rifle, I guess), but I DO HAVE a couple of short actions (Rem 700) and stocks lying around. I also happen to have a Ruger round top in 30-06 that I haven't fired in years that I could maybe use, but I'm thinking the Bartlein just may be wasted on that action/rifle.

So, OK guys (and gals)---whaddaya think? Any ideas (wild or not so wild?) as to where I could/should go with this? I'm trying to stay away from MAGNUMS---especially BELTED magnums---, but am open to just about anything else? 7mm SLR? 7mm Credmoor? 7mm X 64 Brenneke? 7mm WST? SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE!!! Pretty much it will have to be a .284 or 7mm of some sort and the M24 contour, but WHAT??

Attached PIC is how it looked before all this...and it shot pretty decent, but not actually a HAMMER!

HELP!!

Attachments

• IMG_0563A.jpg
    IMG_0563A.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Have your gunsmith order you a new barrel and build you exactly what you want. He is liable for his “oopsie” and should bare the costs to correct it. He will be able to sell the “oopsied” barrel to someone else to recover his costs if he chooses. He should have offered this option to you out the gate. You shouldn’t need to even ask. It’s called accountability.

Good thoughts, but...Yeah..I get all that and if the guy was not a friend and fellow shooter/competitor (and a DAMNED GOOD SHOT, BTW) whom I've known for years that would be my "go to" solution. But as it is, I am trying to do something other than that if I can....and I DO kinda enjoy playing around and "experimenting" and I DO have some other decent "candidate actions/stocks" lying around the shop....could maybe even buy something else to "play with". Yeah..I AM kinda waffling here!

Reactions: wade2big
Agree with the first 2 posts, it's really your smith's job to take care of his customer even if he is a buddy. It's one thing if he's doing the work for free, but if you're a paying customer then he should get you a new one. If he cuts 2" off it will have to be cut off the back of the barrel right? That's no bueno in my view. If you want to help him out you could help him sell it, or as you pointed out put it in a different action, but then he obviously can't open up the action to accurize it, haha, tough spot.

Agree with the first 2 posts, it's really your smith's job to take care of his customer even if he is a buddy. It's one thing if he's doing the work for free, but if you're a paying customer then he should get you a new one. If he cuts 2" off it will have to be cut off the back of the barrel right? That's no bueno in my view. If you want to help him out you could help him sell it, or as you pointed out put it in a different action, but then he obviously can't open up the action to accurize it, haha, tough spot.

Yep...there is just NO WAY to change the threads to the right ones for the action other than re-doing the whole chamber end of the barrel. That would all be OK with me, but what I wanted for its intended use was 26" finished. 24" as opposed to 26" doesn't really make much difference except for somewhat of a loss in velocity... wouldn't be a huge deal at only 1000 yards, but then.....:rolleyes:

Yep...there is just NO WAY to change the threads to the right ones for the action other than re-doing the whole chamber end of the barrel. That would all be OK with me, but what I wanted for its intended use was 26" finished. 24" as opposed to 26" doesn't really make much difference except for somewhat of a loss in velocity... wouldn't be a huge deal at only 1000 yards, but then.....:rolleyes:
It wouldnt be a huge deal, but like I said above, he doesn’t need to chop 2” off. The whole threaded portion plus the recoil lug is about .950. That’s all that needs to go.

Reactions: Steel head
Yeah, there's a reason most PRS/NRL shooters (who shoot within 1k almost exclusively) use 26" and not 24" barrels. Not to mention, you'd effectively change your contour pretty substantially. It would be very different than a 24" barrel in the contour you have (where the end of the barrel is cut off).

Just have him cut off the one inch and do it as a 25" barrel. Ask him how much of a discount he'll give you for this oopsie. If he is a friend this will help make him and you feel better. That one inch of barrel won't make any difference at all.

If it was just some gunsmith and not a friend I would ask to have it redone at the gunsmiths expense.

Reactions: Steel head
shorten it, run a straight 7-08 (or even AI) in a short action shooting the 162's.
OR
Put it up for sale, recoup all of your cost (a threaded, chambered bartlein barrel is worth more than 370), buy a new barrel and march on.
Problem solved.
Post it up in the for sale section here and on accurate shooter.
My guess is that it will move pretty quickly.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Yeah, there's a reason most PRS/NRL shooters (who shoot within 1k almost exclusively) use 26" and not 24" barrels. Not to mention, you'd effectively change your contour pretty substantially. It would be very different than a 24" barrel in the contour you have (where the end of the barrel is cut off).

Yeah...same "longer is better" in the F-Open I shoot. The PRS and NRL stuff sounds like fun, but I'm getting old and now kinda prefer just lying down on the firing line with everything all on rests instead of having to run around.....my brain thinks I am still a puppy, but my body doesn't seem to agree......thinks differently!!Getting LAZY, I guess!!

I know that he's responsible for the mistake and SHOULD remedy the situation if you request.

... but if I were you, for the sake of not having to wait for another barrel to come (looooong waits right now), I'd just chamber it, finish at 24", and enjoy getting your rifle back 3 months earlier than it would take to get another barrel. You're not going to miss the additional 2 inches, velocity-wise.

Reactions: archangel485
shorten it, run a straight 7-08 (or even AI) in a short action shooting the 162's.
OR
Put it up for sale, recoup all of your cost (a threaded, chambered bartlein barrel is worth more than 370), buy a new barrel and march on.
Problem solved.
Post it up in the for sale section here and on accurate shooter.
My guess is that it will move pretty quickly.

Yeah...recouping the bucks I have into it makes sense...I haven't checked around yet to see if there is another BARTLEIN 7mm M24 in the same twist (or maybe a Krieger, BRUX, Douglass or some other quality barrel is out there somewhere for sale. ("BAD ACCOUNTANT" above is right about the long wait problem I'd guess!)That COULD make a difference in the long run maybe......

I already have TWO 7mm-08s, which I like a lot, but they were my rifle silhouette guns....Don't really know what I'd do with another one!

I know that he's responsible for the mistake and SHOULD remedy the situation if you request.

... but if I were you, for the sake of not having to wait for another barrel to come (looooong waits right now), I'd just chamber it, finish at 24", and enjoy getting your rifle back 3 months earlier than it would take to get another barrel. You're not going to miss the additional 2 inches, velocity-wise.
This is a really good point. Waiting another 3 months (or more) might be rough. Could keep an eye on the sniper's hide classifieds, I see barrels there often.

As far as what to do with the existing barrel, you could set it back and punch it out to 7 SAUM/SS/Max and run it on one of the short actions you have laying around.

Reactions: hseII
I think that you should give the Smith the option to resolve this in the way that makes the most sense from a gunsmith's point of view. Only one of you is the professional in the room.

The .284 is an excellent chambering. It matters very little whether the barrel is 24" or 26" long with that cartridge; the ballistics are more than adequate either way. The chambering and the barrel length are important, but the action work and truing are far more important.

Emphasize your faith in your gunsmith, especially since he's already been honest with you. Tell him that you don't want to add complexity to an already complicated process, and ask him about how to do his best with the resources already at hand. Let him do what you went to him for in the first place; the most important part of the interaction between you two is his skill. Otherwise, we'd all be doing the work ourselves and be left with no recourse when we learn things the wrong way. BTDT.

When we want things done but lack the resources and skill, we go to the professional. So let him be the professional.

See what he has in mind and give him the benefit of the doubt; he knows the actual right answers. Take advantage of the years of learning already under his cap. Start a good relationship with a seasoned professional; such kinds of faith are their own reward.

I do my own work. I lack machining resources, and what skill I have is only what I have been able to accrue on my own. There are rudimentary ways around that, and they are the main reasons why a favor Savage actions. This gives me insight into the most important lesson that I can gain; knowing what I don't know and where to take my projects when they exceed my capability. When do that, it is wisest to let the professional be the professional.

I want to tell them the goal, the means I already possess, some input about things like chambering preferences, etc., and some views as to the limits of what I can afford. I do something like an RFP, or a Request For a Proposal. Odds are, the smith can figure out how to give me a great approach to my goals, and keep it within a budget the smith knows from the outset. I then get to consider the approach before a dollar gets spent on materials, etc. It's a better path to a better result, with the best relationship possible.

Right now, you're beyond that point, but still have a chance to get things back on a good track. Give the smith the option to resolve it using a gunsmith's best ingenuity. Once you commit, you are both bound by that commitment. Listen. Learn. Be the adult in the room.

Worth a try?

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mordamer
Well, after looking around at other barrels and seeing what is (alarmingly...actually NOT) available and what the wait times are , reading you guys' replies, talking to some shooting buddies and considering where things are at the moment with the Bartlein, I think I'm going to opt for shortening it as little as possible (which MAY be as little as another .685 of an inch or so when allowing for the 1/4" recoil lug and measuring the removed Krieger in .284 Win that I have upstairs), re-threading it and doing a chamber again in .284 Win. That MAY just be the simplest, more "user friendly" way to go for both myself and my gunsmith. And it seems that I may just wind up with an approximately 25" barrel, which shouldn't be a big whoop....So I get my rifle back a little shorter than what I wanted...doesn't look like there is any HUGE ballistic difference and the barrel might even like being a little stubbier---Who can tell until it is all said and done and some groups are printed once the barrel is broken in, huh? ANYWAY..what good does it do to own a 1/4 MOA rifle when the shooter is a shaky old 4 MOA stock nut? :p

How much was he going to charge you? If it was a friend price of $50-$100 work with him. Maybe have a muzzle brake added to get the length you wanted.
If he was charging the standard fee of several hundred dollars then that’s different. That’s business and treat it as such because he is. At present you won’t be getting the barrel you want so you’re suffering a loss. It’s only fair that he also loses. You aren’t going to get the barrel you wanted and he shouldn’t get the money he wanted. I could live with it being a inch or so short at a discount. A 50% discount is more than fair.
When it comes to business I’m pretty hard nosed about things. I’ve become that way after years of experience with service providers. They typically smile and are friendly as long as you are paying. They often get really ugly if you aren’t happy with their substandard service and refuse to pay.
There’s nothing wrong with being a nice guy if you’re okay with getting the short end of the stick.
Sorry about your barrel and good luck 👍

Reactions: wade2big
How much was he going to charge you? If it was a friend price of $50-$100 work with him. Maybe have a muzzle brake added to get the length you wanted.
If he was charging the standard fee of several hundred dollars then that’s different. That’s business and treat it as such because he is. At present you won’t be getting the barrel you want so you’re suffering a loss. It’s only fair that he also loses. You aren’t going to get the barrel you wanted and he shouldn’t get the money he wanted. I could live with it being a inch or so short at a discount. A 50% discount is more than fair.
When it comes to business I’m pretty hard nosed about things. I’ve become that way after years of experience with service providers. They typically smile and are friendly as long as you are paying. They often get really ugly if you aren’t happy with their substandard service and refuse to pay.
There’s nothing wrong with being a nice guy if you’re okay with getting the short end of the stick.
Sorry about your barrel and good luck 👍
I am going with a threaded muzzle on the 284 so I can add my TOMB system sometimes. Trouble is, the brake and/or can are NOT ALLOWED in F-Open. However, if I decide to shoot the 284 in a club long rang varmint match (Only goes out to 850 yards in the Master classification, so 330, 430, 550, 750 and 850 yards) for various targets) instead of my usual 6.5 Creedmoor, I can use it......and I'm sure my next door neighbor shooters will appreciate the can!! Should be fun in that "Field Ready" class!

I am going with a threaded muzzle on the 284 so I can add my TOMB system sometimes. Trouble is, the brake and/or can are NOT ALLOWED in F-Open. However, if I decide to shoot the 284 in a club long rang varmint match (Only goes out to 850 yards in the Master classification, so 330, 430, 550, 750 and 850 yards) for various targets) instead of my usual 6.5 Creedmoor, I can use it......and I'm sure my next door neighbor shooters will appreciate the can!! Should be fun in that "Field Ready" class!
I’m glad you got it figured out. It was decent of you to let the Smith off the hook. At those ranges a inch or so off your barrel shouldn’t make much of a difference. I know your neighbor will appreciate the can. I’m happy everything worked out for you. Good luck and happy shooting

Oh...and BTW today is my birthday and guess what my wife got me for my Birthday? A 54" long SCOPED RIFLE soft case that will fit just fine on a couple of my guns and will also go under that back seat platform in my Super Duty F250. I gotta give her credit...she IS paying attention and knew exactly what I needed, as one doesn't see a lot of 54 inch scoped RIFLE cases around! WOW!! But then she is a shooter (past NRA National Record holder in a silhouette handgun class three times for the ladies!!) also!

Last edited:
What I want out of a barrel is 1300fps at the target, and tuneable with load development.

I can get that; then I can manage the rest.

While F-Open doesn't permit muzzle devices; I believe they do permit a Palma front sight mount. Where it's positioned just may have an effect on groups.

iu

Back in the early 2000's at Bodines/Williamsport, we shot F Class. Open and T/R and the Palma and Any/Any shooters would shoot in the F Class as well, using the permitted means of support. They would dismount their sights and mount up scopes. They were deemed legal.

I also suspect a threaded barrel can have a thread protector. Thread protector weights may be capable of weight adjustment. Using a crush washer with it, and/or a lock washer, etc...

Just sayin...

Many ways to defur a feline...

Greg

Last edited:
GREG;

All good thoughts and I AM having the muzzle threaded, too. Hmmmm...

BTW, have you heard of the easiest way to wash a cat? You just preload your toilet with your favorite clothes washing stuff or maybe even pet shampoo, go find the cat and pick him/her up all friendly like and before the cat figures out what's happening, drop it in the toilet and slam the lid...the cat will go nuts in there, making suds and effectively washing itself as it thrashes around trying to escape (you might have to hold the lid firmly down)....Next just flush the toilet a few time (also called a rinse cycle) then while being careful to kinda stand back, open the lid and let it out.....it WON'T BE HAPPY and it will be moving QUITE rapidly---also called the spin and dry cycle---

You may have guessed I am NOT really much of a CAT PERSON!! 😾

Last edited:
I have four cats; any one of which I would not want to be in the same county with when they come bolting out of that John.

Two of them tip the scales at about 20lb each.

I consider them to be my own personal fur missiles.

My little one is going on 12 years old and weights about 6-7lb.

I washed her once, and sweet little cat that she is; she got that six inches wide eyes look and sank her fangs into the heel of my hand clear down flush with her gums. Won't be trying that again...

To clarify my above statement about defurring cats; one does not attempt the act with a living cat. 'Nuff said...

Greg

Last edited:
I have four cats; any one of which I would not want to be in the same county with when they come bolting out of that John.

Two of them tip the scales at about 20lb each.

I consider them to be my own personal fur missiles.

Greg
YOW!! 20 LBS is one big cat!! Or, should I say "fat cat"??

One is very long (almost 3 ft).

The other is a very long haired Norway Forest Cat ("Miz Maddie from Tombstone"). The hair on her mane (all my cats are girl cats) is 5" long in some spots.

Generally, they are very sweet animals.

They have colorations that all fit in beautifully as camouflage schemes. Two are litter mates, and their colors range from one ("Cammie") with a grey and tan that blends to look like olive, and big black mottles. There's a white bib and feet on her too. The other is the really long one ("Otter"), more like a Calico of the same shades, same bib and feet, and she's also a long hair. The little one is Coppertone, a very pale Orange Tabby; she's the only lap act, and is my constant companion.

She also thinks she owns the house; the other cats tend to disagree...

They are stunning animals to see. They are all pound rescue cats. They share our home along with a pair of Jack Russel/Chihuahua mixes ('Lita and Jett, just a tad bigger than the larger cats), also litter mates, and also pound rescues from the Tombstone, AZ Pet Shelter. Our Granddaughter tends the Tombstone Pet Shelter on Sundays.

Wearing black in our home is an exercise in frustration.

The litter boxes will be what eventually kills me...

Greg

PS Go, Knights; go!

Last edited:
Yeah...recouping the bucks I have into it makes sense...I haven't checked around yet to see if there is another BARTLEIN 7mm M24 in the same twist (or maybe a Krieger, BRUX, Douglass or some other quality barrel is out there somewhere for sale. ("BAD ACCOUNTANT" above is right about the long wait problem I'd guess!)That COULD make a difference in the long run maybe......

I already have TWO 7mm-08s, which I like a lot, but they were my rifle silhouette guns....Don't really know what I'd do with another one!

I think I might have seen an M24 7mm blank in the PX.