• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM or .284 Win???

natehelsley

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2011
Camp Lejeune NC
Im fixing to build a long range target rifle (1500yds non- competion). Im stuck on these two rounds. the 7mm WSM and the .284 Win. I need some pros and cons on both.

Thanks, Nate

Re: 7mm WSM or .284 Win???

7mmSAUM

Almost the same as the WSM but burns much less powder and has a longer neck area meaning you can seat long and fit more powder, OR seat back into the case and still not sacrifice all that much.

If your even considering a WSM, have a serious look at SAUM vs WSM

For 1500 yards and between those two I would go with the wsm. If you ranges are more in the 1000 yard zone go .284.

I'm running a 284 on a 24 inch rock creek barrel. Rem 700 long action done up as per usual.

1000 noooo problems. Lapua brass, rl17, 210m, and Berger 180vld.

It didn't take long to develop an accurate load and getting around the 3k mark with rl17 wasnt a problem. No idea on barrel life yet, its a new build.

Take care

The 284 will have better brass support but the WSM is an amazing round. As far as the SAUM vs WSM, i believe that the SAUM is a better cartridge in some cases, but the aftermarket support for them is much less than that of a WSM and this might cause some frustrations down the line

Lapua and Norma make 284 type brass.

300 and 270 WSM brass is available form Norma, as is 300 SAUM brass. I have a 7x300 WSM which, for all intents and purposes, is a 7 WSM... except that I can order Norma brass for it. The Norma is every bit as good as Lapua in my experience.

You can make 7 WSM brass from 300 WSM brass but it requires necking to a false shoulder and fireforming, much like an AI version. To make 7x300 brass you just run it through the sizing die once, load, and shoot.

IMO Norma brass is the best for uniformity, and the worst for hardness. I do not use it, as it will not get the velocity I look for in a long range load.
JMO

Trying to run the .284 like a magnum, and/or at 3000fps, is not a realistic goal - especially out of a barrel of less than 30". Either you need 2900fps or you don't. If you do, go 7mmRM. If you want to drive the best bullets at realistic velocities, go .284. You will need a long action either way.

Thanks for the help guys. I forgot to mention the 7mm RSAUM. I have been looking into it alot latly also. Im still not sure what im gonna do.... Keep the comments coming please!! I need help!

I run a 7WSM. It is scary accurate and flat shooting to boot. With the Berger 180 VLD I get 2980 fps. My 162 Amax load makes well over 3000. I really like that it fits into a short action. Brass has been easy to get and is not terribly expensive. Also, I have no issue with the Winchester brass quality. Yes, the 7 WSM neck is short, but it has not been an issue in performance.

Reactions: Kevins750