• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM versus .243 Winchester

338LM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2003
STL Missouri
Is the 7mm WSM with high B.C. bullets a flatter shooting cartridge than the .243 with high B.C. bullets?
Application would be 100-1200 yard tactical/long range target matches.
I am assuming the .243 uses a large rifle primer?

Re: 7mm WSM versus .243 Winchester

If I recall correctly the 7 will have the edge but just barely. The 243 is quite a bit cheaper to run with the cost of D-Tacs vs Bergers SMK ext.. the brass is cheaper and plentiful, less powder. Not to mention 10 rounds in a 10 round mag. Feeds easy, and its just a nice little round to shoot. Either one will get to 1200 with no trouble though.

A 7mm WSM w/ Berger 180 gr @ 2800 vs a 243 w/Berger 115 gr @ 2950.

The 243 will be flatter shooting to 1K yds by 0.1 or 0.2 Mils, but the 7mm WSM will hold the wind about 0.3 Mils tighter.

That's using JBM numbers.

Barrel life with either is excitingly on the short side in case it matters.

Bob

I shoot them both and like said above, they have almost the same ballistics to 1000--then the 7 takes over. Both burn barrels at about the same rate. For match use I pick the 7 when shooting steel only and the .243 for paper, etc. The bigger slugs of the 7 make for a much more visible impact than the 115 dtac, allowing for second round hits.

Yes, there is no doubt that the .243 is lacking punch way out there for knocking down steel and also loses some windage at those distances. Those are issues I need to ponder upon a little more.
Is the .243 using a large rifle primer (not small) like all of the .308 family does?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, there is no doubt that the .243 is lacking punch way out there for knocking down steel and also loses some windage at those distances. Those are issues I need to ponder upon a little more.
</div></div>

The .243 with the 115 DTAC at 3000fps, which is easy to get, has more energy on target than a 175 SMK at 2600fps from a .308 at 1000 so it will knock down any steel the .308 will and .308s are used alot at tactical matches. As are .243s.

I'd take the .243 for the use you need it for. The pros of 10 round mags, light recoil and cheaper to shoot out weigh the small amount of wind difference between it and the 7mmWSM. If you need heavy hitting past 1000 then the 7mmWSM would be the choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the ability to get Lapua brass for the .243 </div></div>

Only problem with the Lapua brass is that the load needed to really see the 115 potential is so hot that the brass doesn't last very long!!
smile.gif
With Winchester--it hurts a little to throw brass out after a couple loads. With Lapua--it hurts a bit more.

My 243 running 3050 with a 115 dtac knocked down the Larue at 1300ish at TacPro at the pond behind the shop, so it will get it done. I was getting 4 reloads with Lapua brass, so it does wear out pretty quick. That said, I was only getting 4 maybe 5 out of the 7 I had. As for the 7 hitting hard, with a 180 that thing was a hammer.

For 100-1200 yards you don't need a magnum. Using one is more likely to hold you back than to help you train.

The cost of the 7WSM, the extra recoil, blast, and difficulties loading it at mag length in a short action make it a specialty caliber for long range hunting and extreme matches like ASC. But the 7mm will allow you to better spot your misses at long range than will the .243.

I classify the .243 as a magnum because of the ratio of powder capacity to bore size. It, too, can be difficult to make shoot well with the heavier bullets. That, and for optimal performance you need a very fast twist rate - like 7.5.

What percentage of match shots are going to be at 1000 and beyond? How many of these matches will require shooting beyond 800? If you aren't going to 1000 on a regular basis you don't really need either caliber.

they are both great I shoot a 284 currently 162 @3030fps and my shooting partner is shooting a 6x47 and is pushing the 115's at 3050fps. needless to say we use virtually the exact same drop chart and wind call. like others have said easier to spot missed with the 7mm but 6mm's are lighter recoiling very good ballistically.

If this helps you any next season I will be switching to the 6x47 even though I love my 284.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 7mm WSM w/ Berger 180 gr @ 2800 vs a 243 w/Berger 115 gr @ 2950.

The 243 will be flatter shooting to 1K yds by 0.1 or 0.2 Mils, but the 7mm WSM will hold the wind about 0.3 Mils tighter.

Bob </div></div>

I don't know anyone with a 7WSM that shoots the 180s that slow. Most people that I know of are shooting them between 2900 and 3K FPS where it seems the accuracy node is at.

I say, a 162gr AMAX being pushed around 3200FPS would be one of the hardest combos to beat. I was pushing a little faster then those numbers when I was able to get the AMAXs to shoot out of my rifle.

I've been shooting a 260 Remington since 2005. I like the cartridge a lot.

I got in on the Rock Creek group-buy and ordered a 7mm barrel. Planning on a long-action 284 just to see how it compares. AICS 2.0 chassis & 5rd 300 Win magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 7mm WSM w/ Berger 180 gr @ 2800 vs a 243 w/Berger 115 gr @ 2950.

Bob </div></div>

I don't know anyone with a 7WSM that shoots the 180s that slow. Most people that I know of are shooting them between 2900 and 3K FPS where it seems the accuracy node is at.

I say, a 162gr AMAX being pushed around 3200FPS would be one of the hardest combos to beat. I was pushing a little faster then those numbers when I was able to get the AMAXs to shoot out of my rifle. </div></div>

Bacarrat,

I am well aware that most folks shoot'em faster. But 2800 fps is about all the 180's will do, in a 24" SA Rem 700 restricted to factory mag length.

Take a longer barrel say 26" to 28", and set the bullets out to 3.1" and yes, 3K is very doable.

Same thing with the 243. Use a longer barrel, and seat the bullets out a bit, and your pushing 3050 FPS.

I was just being conservative, and comparing stock to stock, without magazine and barrel improvements.

Thanks,

Bob

I shoot the 162 A-Max's at 3030fps, and thats a pretty light load out of a 28" barrel, even these have a higher BC than the DTAC's. The real advantage is going to be with the Berger hybrids, which have a higher BC than the 180 VLD's. As great as the 243 is, Im sticking with the 7.

Mag length, as in AI mag length, you could still push them into 2900FPS out of a 24" barrel. I would say that most of the custom built 7WSMs out there are running in a SA through AI mags. I could max out my load and shoot mine at 3000FPS, but I don't. I keep it on the lower end of 2900FPS where the accuracy is still good and saves on the barrel life some. I'm currently at 3100 rounds through mine and just recently just measured the throat on it and surprisingly, it hasn't moved since I measured last at 1200 rounds.

When are the Berger hybrids in 7 going to be available? What will be the advertised BC?

I have had both and the 243 is my choice. I dont think that 41.5 grains of powder is a hot load at all. This gives me 2950 and quite a few reloads on brass with a DTAC. On the other hand 62.5 grains for a 7 WSM and 3 reloads on the brass is for shit. After 880 rounds thru my 7 the throat looked like alligator skin. At ASC we were 6.8 mils to 1000 and no pressure signs at all. I think if I need hard hitting past 1000 I would take a 300 with a 210 Berger.

Rich

I Have shot a ton of matches with both and I would definatly go with the 243. Both are about 2500 to 3000 round rifles and balistics to the ranges your talking about they are nearly identical. but the 243 has zero recoil and is alot cheaper to load for, as well as the ability for 10 round mags with ease.

Nor Cal TBRC last weekend there were 7 243 rifles in the top 10

4 in the top 5.

there was one 6.5x284 and one straight 284.

7mm WSM is still my favorite for ASC and Matches where 800-1300 is the average range, the fact that the 7mm WSM blows big holes and throws up alot of debris on misses makes it a better choice when the follow up second shot really counts.

+1 to what George said, but there was 1 260 in top 10 for sure and I think Dennis Lorenzo was using his as well, but I'm not totally sure.

I used to run a 7-300wsm for a while and the wind advantage never outweighed the magazine capacity and flawless functionality that I got from my 260. The .243 is great, but if you are hitting steel past 600 yards it will become really hard to see your impacts. If barrel life is an issue then you may want to look at going with a 260, you will get about 1k more through the tube than a .243.
Another nice thing is that with a 7 you can grab some 180 hunting bullets and drop an elk with them at distance. There are plus and minuses to both.

For 100-1200, go with a straight .284 on a long action.

When George stops posting, gets off the Hide and gets back to work that will be my next match rifle - for ASC and otherwise.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I used to run a 7-300wsm for a while and the wind advantage never outweighed the magazine capacity and flawless functionality that I got from my 260. The .243 is great, but if you are hitting steel past 600 yards it will become really hard to see your impacts. If barrel life is an issue then you may want to look at going with a 260, you will get about 1k more through the tube than a .243.
Another nice thing is that with a 7 you can grab some 180 hunting bullets and drop an elk with them at distance. There are plus and minuses to both. </div></div>

Overall, I agree. Unless there is something breathing on the receiving end, the 243 is the clear overall tac match winner.

Another think I would like to point out is if you are going to build a rifle for each type of match/shooting, then by all means build a 243 for 1K and something els for further distances. But if you are like me and not made of money and need a single caliber to work from 100-1500+ yards, its really hard to beat a 7SAUM/WSM slinging high BC 162's and 180's.

I'm having a custom 308 made for my match gun. After hearing how flat the .243 and 7 wsm shoot and how well they do in matches , I might just rip that new barrel off and switch.

** or I might have to bust out my 7 WSM hunting rifle for some matches ha

Is there any mag length issues with the .243 running the 111/115 DTAC's?

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am quite sure that I will go with a .243 setup first and then a 7 WSM down the road if I feel it necessary. No doubt that these are 2 outstanding calibers.

The .243 was on the top of my list too when I was deciding calibers for my custom build. You really can't go wrong with either calibers.