• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mmprc

jd243

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2023
Pennsylvania
So new to this site but already love it. Before I buy a rifle in 7mm prc. What's everyone's thoughts on it over a 7 rem mag

If you use modern powders, bullets, and brass in a 7mm RemMag it will produce identical results. It is basally just a modern shorter & fatter beltless 7mm RemMag. The shorter & fatter part is so it retains the same case capacity as 7mmRM, but fits in magazines better with longer and heavier high BC bullets. Both 7mmRM and 7mm PRC are excellent cartridges. I've been shooting/hunting/reloading 7mmRM for over 22 years, and I'm setup for 7mm PRC, but haven't bought/built that rifle yet.

IMG_1886.jpeg

Reactions: DIBBS and Dirty D
Thanks for the info. Was hoping someone would talk me in to buying a new rifle lol. But I suppose I'll just upgrade the glass on my 7 rem mag

Reactions: FuhQ
If I had an 8 or 8.5 twisted 7mm Rem Mag setup to shoot 180 scenars, I'd be set for .284 caliber. If not, I'd buy 7mm PRC and hope the Hornady factory stuff would run well.

Reactions: Maggot
If you're already setup for 7mm dies and such and you have a barrel with proper twist rate as well as chamber that allows for the bullets you want to use, then you won't gain anything.

However, if you would need to get dies or change your barrel for the 7mm to work with the latest/greatest bullets, then a switch to 7prc might make sense.

The downside is that currently only Peterson is making high quality 7prc brass. Hornady is available, but.....it's hornady. And it's not just necking down 300prc......so you can't take Lapua and make a quick change to get 7prc brass.

We build a lot of 7prc (chambering 5 this week alone). But personally, almost always pick up the 6.5prc or the 300prc when its time to shoot.

But, getting someone because it's new and you want it......is still a valid reason. If we all only bought things that we actually needed or gave us a reasonable upgrade, the economy would collapse immediately.

Reactions: FuhQ
If I had an 8 or 8.5 twisted 7mm Rem Mag setup to shoot 180 scenars, I'd be set for .284 caliber. If not, I'd buy 7mm PRC and hope the Hornady factory stuff would run well.
My 9" twist 7mm's are shooting the Berger 175 Elites with no issues. Haven't tried any 9.25 and 9.5 twists yet. Those are hammers with the 168 VLD's. But I do shoot Berger 180 Hybrids in my 9.25" twist Sendero SF chambered in 7mm STW, and it stacks them into 1/4-1/3 MOA groups...

IMG_1693.jpeg

Been loving my 7PRC even my 11 year old enjoys shooting it. As others have said bullet weight and velocity aren’t vastly different than a fast twist 7RM but having the hottest new caliber is neat I guess.

Thanks for the info. Was hoping someone would talk me in to buying a new rifle lol. But I suppose I'll just upgrade the glass on my 7 rem mag
Let me try. I might be a fudd and certainly an idiot. However, my rifles have been 308 in different configurations. And a 5.56 semi-auto, and a shottie.

I never had a 7 before or a long action magnum.

But I drank the Hornady koolaid on this and got a 7 PRC and I love it and the performance. The specs require the smallest free bore, for example. And a 1:8 twist in at least a 24 inch barrel.

I have learned also that if you have a 7 RM, you really don't need at 7 PRC. One youtuber I have watched who gave positive reviews said that he would continue hunting with the 7 RM. It does everything he needs at 500 yards and less, which is his hunting range max. 7 PRC outshines other rounds, even the 7 RM, past 500 yards. So, it might be the better choice for long range target shooting.

Here is why I like the 7 PRC. Minimal drop. Out to almost 200 yards is like shooting MPBR. Hold just under the shoulder at close range, top of shoulder at slightly longer on a deer. But I could also hunt mule deer and elk with it. In my state, public hunt for mule deer is in a canyon in the high desert. Not a lot of trees. So, they warn that you need to be able to shoot at least 200 yards. Turns out there are not a lot of trees to hide in out there and those pesky mule deer cannot be caught by sprinkling salt on the tail.

But here is what is going to happen. You are going to get a 7 PRC because you want to and it's cool and it gives the 7 RM a run for the money.

Just like, at 300 yards or less, you can do just fine with a .30-06 or a .308 but people keeping trying other stuff.

Whatever floats your boat.

Get the 7 PRC. The kick of a rambunctious .308 unless you put on a nice pad and a brake. The 175 grain is still above 2,000 fps at 750 yards.

Would be a real nice present to get myself.. Seems like only real issue is brass availability and even factory ammo

Would be a real nice present to get myself.. Seems like only real issue is brass availability and even factory ammo
Not sure where you’re at but I just ordered 100 pieces of brass from unknown munitions and he had plenty available. I’ve also seen plenty of 7PRC factory rounds on the shelves.

Reactions: lash
Search for Natchez Shooting Supply. I looked on ammoseek and there is a lot of 7mm PRC out there for good prices.

I love my 7PRC, and I much prefer it as an alternative to 6.5 PRC (short barrel life) and 300PRC (I don't have the need for a .30cal magnum). It's my elk hunting rifle, and I took a nice 5x6 with it a few weeks ago shooting the factory 180gr ELD-M. It performed great. ELD-X would have done great too.

If I did it again I would probably have just threaded the 7RM barrel I already own, because a carbon barrel is the only prefit I could find for my Tikka in 7PRC and I didn't want carbon, but it's what was on the shelf. A 7RM with factory ammo will get crushed by a 7PRC with factory ammo if you're shooting over 600yds, but if you handload and have a barrel spun up with the right freebore/twist, the difference between the two is negligible.

Reactions: Ronws
An off the shelf 7mm PRC is designed to shoot long, heavy for caliber bullets, but can also shoot the typical, lighter weight bullets with no issues.
The SSAMI specifications call out the length of the throat etc...
An off the shelf 7MM rem mag is an older design, built around shorter, lower BC, lighter weight bullets, the twist rate also reflects this.
A custom built rifle, with a reamer spec'ed to load higher BC bullets, there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two. Much more plentiful HIGH quality brass is available for the REM mag.

If you are building custom, go rem mag and spec it to be throated and with a fast enought twist for the long bullets, as you have untold options for brass.
If you are buying a factory rifle, buy a 7 PRC.
Ammo availablility is another issue.

Probably going to have to wait until after the holidays if I decide to buy a new rifle. Spent way to much in the last wee alone

Although the cases are very similar, they are both completely different cartridges! 7 Mag was designed to shoot 140-160 grain bullets and thats why all the factory rifles are build with 9 or 10 twist barrels. All of the 7 PRC options are 8 twists and made for 175-190 grain bullets. Its a whole different beast designed around modern bullets. This is the same debate as the 300 WM vs 300 PRC. Both the 7 and 30s are very similar in cartridge design but they throat it out, add in a 1.5 degree lead and give the correct twist for the heavy high BC bullets!

Maybe I will buy a new 7mmprc rifle. Guess it never hurts to have another new rifle /caliber 🤣
Exactly. I was happy in my own little world of .308 W. Then, I just had to have a 5.56. Then a 12 ga smooth bore that came with a bayonette (extra cool factor.)

Then, a 7 mm PRC. Granted, it may be a while before I can hunt an elk and hopefully I can still do it at my age.

I don't have other magnums and I don't have other 7s. So, for me, with a factory rifle and Hornady's Precision Hunter 175 gr ELD-X getting me results that I can accept to at least 500 yards is fine. Though, I could also hand load and play with that a bit. But, I also follow a not often followed engineering principle. Don't fix what ain't broken.

If I already had a 7 Rem Mag, I might have hesitated to get the 7 PRC.

Conversely, I do have a 5.56 (.223 Rem.) So, I am not tempted to get the .22 ARC. Heck, I don't even have an optic on my M4 A3. The iron sights are still the most comfortable for me and of course, the widest field of view possible.

Reactions: lash
Nice rifle. I don’t have a picture of mine with the suppressor and since that picture I swapped the pic rail to the full length one from a normal Kratos to get the eye relief perfect.
Yeah that’s not a bad idea. I almost need that.

Probably a dumb question but what's everyone's favorite barrel length for the 7mm prc
I will stick my neck out. I like the 24 inch, so far. Then, again, I hunt, so I would not really want one that is longer.

But I could see where going really long distance could be better served by a longer barrel.

18 & 22 both suppressed. If I wasn’t using suppresdor 22 or 24 would be my choice

What kind of velocities are you getting from the 18 and 22. Just out of curiosity.. I'm still debating on length

If you're already setup for 7mm dies and such and you have a barrel with proper twist rate as well as chamber that allows for the bullets you want to use, then you won't gain anything.

However, if you would need to get dies or change your barrel for the 7mm to work with the latest/greatest bullets, then a switch to 7prc might make sense.

The downside is that currently only Peterson is making high quality 7prc brass. Hornady is available, but.....it's hornady. And it's not just necking down 300prc......so you can't take Lapua and make a quick change to get 7prc brass.

We build a lot of 7prc (chambering 5 this week alone). But personally, almost always pick up the 6.5prc or the 300prc when its time to shoot.

Everyone sniveled about the lack of match quality 6.5 Creedmoor brass 10 years ago, now good brass is everywhere ( When it's in stock )
You won't need Small Primer Pocket brass so that will make the choice even easier.

18” 168 Berger vldh 2850
22” 180 Berger hybrids 2935
Both barrels have less than 50 rounds through them so I would expect them to speed up more. I have done 0 load development on either one, just did some hunting with them

18 & 22 both suppressed. If I wasn’t using suppresdor 22 or 24 would be my choice
I don't have a shusher machine but I do have a timed brake and I do wear hearing protection. The brake is a Silencerco ASR. So, it does not deflect back, it deflects to the side.

1701913537400.jpeg

And their Harvester 300 will fit right over it, sized for 7.62, of course, on my 7 PRC. If I choose to get a suppressor. I have to get past the property taxes. I am a poor, unapologetically so.

Everyone sniveled about the lack of match quality 6.5 Creedmoor brass 10 years ago, now good brass is everywhere ( When it's in stock )
You won't need Small Primer Pocket brass so that will make the choice even easier.

Hence "currently." Just the same as 10 years go, it was absolutely a downside there wasn't good brass for 6.5cm.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy or use it. Just realize that your choices for brass *currently* are not as good as 6.5prc or .300prc.

As far as barrel length, 22" is pretty happy middle ground. Here's a rifle a customer just picked up with 22".

Still very pleasant to shoot even though it's around 10lbs.

IMG_9092.jpeg

IMG_9101.jpeg

F9CD1D1B-543B-44DC-8ED0-0ADC1C2B632A.jpeg
8BF3099A-85DF-47B1-91FA-1AC10DA5947C.jpeg

This is from my rifle above. 22” barrel. Factory 180 elms. I haven’t reloaded for it it. But it’s a shooter for sure.

Reactions: lash and Ronws
ELDM ammo tends to shoot very well out of most any saami chamber. Precision Hunter ammo gets a bit more wishy washy. Sometimes its sub .5 and others its around an moa.

We are chambering four 7prc this week. Will try to get some comparisons by the weekend posted.