• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mmRM - I feel like the velocity is a tad low...

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
I feel like the velocity should be a bit higher, no? The barrel is fairly fresh with maybe 200 rounds through it total.. 24" Shilen barrel, 1-9" twist.

My X-bolt launches 162gr ELD-X's at 3170 with only 71.7gr of Retumbo. Granted thats a 26" barrel and if I do the 50fps per 1", then it kinda jives..

Am I just being pedantic at this point?

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 8.19.45 PM.png

Some barrel are just faster than others.
Chamber could be a bit different.
Lots of other factors as well.
As long as it accurate I would not worry about it.

Reactions: 3-0-hate
My 7mm with a 27 Benchmark has a sweet spot at 3120 with a decent dose of H-1000 and a 168 VLD

I'd point my finger at barrel length. 7 mag case is not known to be the most efficient, and I bet you are not getting a complete burn of your powder. A faster powder like H1000 may be a better application.
I could crunch some numbers, but believe you could step up to a 180gr bullet with retumbo and retain the speeds you are achieving now.

Svthuh your comparing two different bullet weights, a 168 & a 162 that’s a 3.5 % difference in bullet weights. Also two different barrel lengths, how are the 168’s grouping ? If your getting tight groups with no signs of pressure with the 168”s that a win-win.