• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7saum Load data?

Re: 7saum Load data?

Start with 280 Rem data, they're very close. A middle weight load on the 280 Rem will be a light load on the 7 SAUM. The SAUM holds ~ 4gr of water more.

Also- The starting loads for a 7 WSM will be OK to reduce by 5% and use in the SAUM. If I'm not mistaken, RETUMBO loads are in the Hodgdon online data center.

Does it have the capacity for retumbo?? Not done a lot of work yet with to many powders but I use 59gr of RL17 and 61 of RL22 from memory (will check later)...Not that much room in the case with those faster powders
3000fps in a 24" tube with the 17, got up to 3150fps but had brass streach so tooo hot

Hodgdon shows a 175 gr load with Retumbo 66.0c.
But nothing for a 162gr. Havn't found much on RL25 below 175gr either.. Trying to find a cheaper load to shoot than the 180gr Bergers with the powders listed above.The amax was looking good,.625bc @ $30.00 per 100 vs Bergers @ $44.00 or more per 100 when you can find them.. Thanks guy's for the input!!

I shoot a 7WSM, and my load is 65gr of RL22 under 162 A-Max at 3.118" OAL. RL22 is faster than 25 so you will use less.

I havent had the chance to load for my 7saum yet, I just got it from another member here off the hide. He had sent me his loads for it with the 162 amax. "my load data was with fed.215 mag primers, the norma brass , hornady 162 a-max and h1000 powder . i had good results with 65 gr.@3100 fps, 66 gr.@3150 fps , 67 gr.@3200 fps". This is out of a 28" Benchmark barrel, YMMV.

good caliber choice . mine was accurate with every load i tried . h1000 gave the best velocity .
i just happen to know jbulrs3 has a very accurate 7 saum
wink.gif

Also- If you're not set on Retumbo or RL25 you can try the others that were mentioned, but I've shot H100v very well as well as RL19.

RL22 likes a little crunch in my 30-06 loads, don't be afraid to work into a compressed load with the 162's. They're a very good bullet, my factory 7 SAUM shoots 5 inside an inch at 100y over and over again. The 162's are a nice bullet in terms of weight/velocity and cost for a long range round.

With RL22 and 162 A-max's I printed multiple sub MOA groups at the 1K match a couple of weeks ago. And I wasnt even taking my time, there was a shot on paper as soon as the pit crew put the target back up after the last shot. Took me no more than 30 seconds to complete 5 shots on each round.

the 162's shoot, and are cheap. Not even worth shooting bergers if you are shooting at 1K. If you are shooting 1800 yards, then by all means, go with the 180's.

USMCj I would have to agree with you about the 162 vs 180 , jbm @ 1000yds shows the 162 a bit flatter than the 180,after 1400 the 180 starts to make a difference. Thanks for your valued input!Semper Fi....

If you want to try those powders it will be a case of a long drop tube and fit as much as you can....but it still shouldn't be hot (unless you can squeeze near 70gr in)....too slow for that pill....good for 180's apparently (not tryed them)