• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

8mm rifle

mark22

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
IL, USA
Hello, sorry if this has are ready been asked. I was wondering if a 8mm would make a good sniper/long range rifle? AS of right now, it looks like I will be shooting up to 300 yards. I was wondering what a good scope would be. I was looking at a mark 4. I think it is a3.5-10x 40 or something, not sure off the top of my head. Thanks for any advice.

Re: 8mm rifle

I don't think why not, if you reload that is.

How about if I don't reload? I was looking at a 700 set up like le, but I figured I have the 8m mare ready.

How hard are they to reload? I have been thinking of reloading, but what I have been shooting, wasn't worth it.

not hard but you need to get a manual and read it.

What is a good brand of bullets? Is nosler good, or is there a better brand?

Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, and Bergers are good. But you need to buy a manual first ok?

All the bullet manufacturers mentioned above.

the 8mm is a good long range round it is pretty close to the 308 in performance
the mk. 4 is not a bad scope there are better around but the mk 4 will do for a start

dies are pretty easy to come by

There are different 8 mm rounds even though I belive that all of us has assumed we are talking about the x57 mm case,

a 8x68 is a potent round as well as the 8x75R however I should think that is not the round in question.

Either or, the x57 round will give good results out to about 900 meter with a good shot.

/Chris

Remember there are two bore sizes for the 8mm the S bore is slightly larger and used for modern loads. I forgot what the older bore diameter was. I will look up when I get home.

I had a JP Sauer 8x57 years ago that would shoot 1/2 groups from a bench at 100 yards with 200 grain softpoints.

Good luck

Jerry

has anyone taken a .338 L and shoved a 8mm bullet into it. I know that the 7mm has a lot higher BC than the .30, so is it the same with the 8mm?

Cape-

If someone made a bullet in 8mm that was optimized then yes, for the same bullet weight an 8mm would have a higher BC bullet. Unfortunately I don't know of any company making a high BC 8mm bullet.

Off the x57 case, probably the best long range performer you'll see is a 6.5mm bullet in a 7x57 case that has been improved. This would also be known as a 6.5-6mm Rem AI and have almost the same performance as a 6.5-284.

Jerry- I think you're referring to the .318 vs. .323 bores and the larger, modern bore is the "S" while the earlier bore that cannot be loaded to modern pressures is the "JS" or the "J", I forget which.

The gun I am looking at using, is a steyr m95. How is a 700 in 338 lapua? I gave this a thought, but the bullets are so expensive, compared to a 50 cal. Thanks for any help.

The 7.92x57 as used in WWII had the best bullets of all the small arms involved. It had a b/c of (I think I recall correctly) near .593 and at 2500fps or thereabouts (standard mv) would make 1k easily. The weight was 198 grs in standard form and was a heavy spitzer (schweres Spitzgeschoß)

The cartridge is more than capable. However, the 8mm round is not popular and you may struggle to find a suitable platform other than a surplus KAR98 or other similar military rifle. You'd probably be best served with a .308 of some description and shooting the barrel out (maybe two barrels) by which time you'll know which direction to take.

The 8x57 is a fine cartridge, especially when loaded to modern pressures. However, no one is making a match bullet, unless you find a European company that makes them. Price would be a problem though. It will certainly be a thumper, as you're talking about 200 grain bullets.
If you wanted a fine European cartidge with MANY high quality bullets available then you can look to both the 6.5x55 and the 7x57.
Both of these cartridges are excellent, but you must reload to enjoy these benefits, as most American ammunition for both of these fine cartridges is loaded to very low velocities for fear of the rounds being fired out of very weak 120 year old actions.
There is no magic to reloading, but you must be carefull.
Lee, Speer, Hornady, Nosler and others all put out reload manuals that explain the details.
If you do not reload, but want to shoot, the .308 and .223 are your answer. Both have readily available match loads that are relatively easy on the pocket book.

What is your experience level with precision shooting? You seem to be jumping around, from the 8mm to .338 to .50 cal.
If you want to jump into something like a .338 and spend 5 bucks every time you pull the trigger, so be it, but you would be better served with a good, accurate .223 with good glass and 69 grain match loads.

8x57 will make it to 1K with no problem. And Sierra makes a 200gr Match King with a BC of .520 Just load your own. I run mine at 2600fps. You do the math.

DSC01011_edited.jpg

100_0677.jpg

I am just starting. I was looking at the 338, but the old man suggested the 8mm since we have one. I am not really looking at the 50, i was stating the price of the round. What kind of range can you get out of a 223? Would that new 6.8 spc, be a good range load? I am looking to get the range, that police snipers get on their rifles. Thanks for any help.

I have a buddy running a 325wsm with 200gr smk's at around 2950fps, he seems pretty happy with it for the most part. The only thing he has a gripe about is the lack of match bullets other then the 200gr smk's.

-pd

8mm sniper,

This was, IMO, the best sniper rifle of WWI and WWII. And as far as I'm concerned is competitive even today.

The upper weight bullets are in the .520 realm for G1 BC. If you consider the weights that puts them in the upper .2's lower .3's for G7 BC. But they are very stable, even through the transonic range.

The bullet the Germans used was a 198 gr. spitzer with a long ogive designed for maximum range out of the MG34/42's. As noted in the .595 BC Consider that a bolt action's accuracy is better and they were good you could imagine how well they could have performed. This round/rifle combination has scored one claimed kill by one of Germany's top snipers during the Allied invasion of Europe, 1100m.

OK the Slavs made sniper ammo in 8mm, my personal Nazi mauser will group 1 inch at two hundred yards with it using irons. You really need to get a manual and start reading.

Oh and the only sniper ammo that I know of that still exist is what I have in my garage. I have some Nazi ammo also, they are decent but not sniper grade.

The German 7.9 mm 198 gr. sS(heavy Spitzer) was rated at 2575 fps from a 29" bbl, and 2476 fps from a 23.62" barrel.

The Swedish 8 mm Model 32 ball cartridge has a 219 gr bullet rated at 2525 fps from a 23.62" barrel.

What would be better, the 8mm or the 308. I want long range rifle, that will produce tight grouping, with out much modification. Thanks for the advice.

Forgot to mention. Right now you can get Yugoslavian M75. It runs around 2450 out of a 24" barrel and is VERY accurate. Sub MOA out of my sons Rem 700 Classic. It's Berdan primed, but it is good.

Clay-

I assumed he had a mauser, you're right, that M95 Steyr is 8x56R.

OP- I have a bunch of brass that's new in the bag for the 56R, let me know if you're interested in it. I didn't know about the .520 BC SMK's, they would be a good bullet to work from.

If you're reloading, the 8x57 with .520 BC @ 2600fps vs. a 308 with a 175-180gr bullet with a .5ish BC are going to fly very similarly. If you're not going to reload primarily, then you want to go with the 308

I assumed Mauser too. However, those Steyr M95's are considered very well built and easily shoot long range as well. Ammo is a bit hard to come by. I also heard that the earlier 8x50 were .328" and not the same .323" like the 8x57 (7.92) so you might want to get that checked before you jump into buying dies and looking for bullets that hardly exist, or you have to cast.