• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9 twist barrel?

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
Well, I just picked up my first 10/22 (sad, innit?), and of course I'm planning to tweak it. One of the things that I am considering is going to a 9 twist barrel for shooting the Aguila 60gr rounds. The question I have is whether or not the 9 twist will adversely affect accuracy with standard velocity ammo.

Also, are there any other drawbacks to going to a 9 twist?

Personally, I would be concerned over several things. The first being that the round will load into the magazine... the second being whether they would cycle a 10/22... the third is barreling a rifle for one particular .22 round that isn't known to shoot real well - even out of a 1:9 twist.

first off, where in the hell did you find enough to consider a barrel swap?:).
my 10/22 cycled fine with them but i don't remember how well they did with the standard twist.
run some through it and see how it shoots. you'll never know if you don't try.

You might see more lead fouling with the faster twist bbl. Why is the 60g that interesting to you? Aquilla is not known for being super accurate already.

Irish

I agree, that ammo is not accurate enough to justify the cost of a new barrel with a twist that MAY stabilize the bullet better.

All- thanks for the responses. Regarding the 60gr ammo, the appeal to me (in this situation) is that I'm intending to turn this gun into a fast-handling bullpup for use in varmint hunting from a side-by-side ATV. The thinking is that the 60gr rounds will impart additional energy to the critters. I plan on shooting it almost exclusively suppressed.

Since I'm getting a new barrel anyhow (the factory barrel is a sporter with no threading), I figure that getting a 9 twist may have no down side... if it shoots the 60gr well, then great... if not, then might it shoot standard weight stuff well?

A 10/22 will always have a soft-spot in my heart as an ATV "Critter Gun." But a 9" twist and 60 gr ammo has EVERY downside for me.

- It is not know for accuracy
- ONE manufacturer makes it
- It will over spin regular ammo and throw it all over the place.
- It is known to keyhole and I personally don't want ANYTHING that is know to tumble running through my suppressor and striking the baffles

I'd rather have accuracy and reliability over any of that. Especially with critters.

Last edited:
Not that it's the same, but standard ammo shoots pretty good out of my 1:9.5 twist M-4 with the 22 conversion. Having said that I would heed what Rico says.

RR- understood, and I appreciate the feedback... think I'll stick with a standard twist barrel.

On another subject, has anyone used anything from High Tower Armory? It's their bullpup stock that I am looking at (FN P90 look alike), and perhaps one of their barrels, too (though I may go with a Kidd lightweight barrel... I need 18" length and muzzle threads).

Attachments

• DSC_0335-2.jpg
    DSC_0335-2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
A 10/22 will always have a soft-spot in my heart as an ATV "Critter Gun." But a 9" twist and 60 gr ammo has EVERY downside for me.

- It is not know for accuracy
- ONE manufacturer makes it
- It will over spin regular ammo and throw it all over the place.
- It is known to keyhole and I personally don't want ANYTHING that is know to tumble running through my suppressor and striking the baffles

I'd rather have accuracy and reliability over any of that. Especially with critters.

I 2nd that
a friend has one on his 10/22.
shoots ok @ 25yd, past that turn bad quick,
50 yd 1 1/2 to 2"
turned to shit at 100yd
yes it will keyhole @ 100yds
no will not shoot 40gr an under any better
I have killed a lot of critters up to coyote size with match ammo, (1080 fps or lower).
IMO buy standard twist barrel.
an kidd would be on the top of my list

I have an 16in .22lr 1 in 9in twist MGM barrel on a Thompson Center Encore with a pistol grip. I put it together a few years ago for the 60gr bullets. It used to shoot 1in groups at 50y off a backpack in the woods and was pleased. If I remember correctly, I was getting the same groups with standard 38gr ammo. And dead on accurate at 10y with powderless 20gr super colibri. The slower colibri was printing 5in groups at 10y. I haven't made the time to shoot it at all in the past two years, nor have I have I screwed a can on it. It's back on my list to play with now.

Thanks for the post. I put a Summit T-3 together with a 16 in. Whistle Pig 1/9 barrel, and a AAC Sparrow. I had read about using this combo with the 60g's. I never got around to finding those, so I just shoot what I can get my hands on. Nor have I measured group size. For me, minute of clay pigeon (?) is what I use the .22 for. So I took it out today to measure. Prone off a bipod. 10 rounds groups- 100 yds, calm wind. Norma Tac- 3", Fiocchi subs 2.75" Aguila subs 2.25". I think those are all 40g. That's good enough for my purposes, I'm just glad I don't need to replace that barrel.