• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing $9 Versa-pod sitting bipod mod

roggom

Senior Chief
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Northern Colorado
I have used shooting sticks, packs and bipods in the field. I have come to like the versa-pod just because it is very easy to remove the pod. I posted this mod in the hunting section, because it seems more practical to the hunter than the shooter.

I was looking to make a DIY set of shooting stick and picked up a Coleman tent pole kit at Walmart. Got it home and was looking and looking at a way to make them functional. They are 27" long and 3/8 in diam. To make functional sticks they would have to be connected together and wrapped with shock cord etc. Sounded like a PITA.

I noticed that the 3/8 dia was the same/close to the size of the versa-pod sliding legs. Removed the legs from one of my pods and viola, they fit right in there. The metal connectors make great feet.

The versa-pod has a small spring actuated stop to prevent the feet from falling out. All you do is pull the pin back and slide the fiberglass poles in. They will hold secure just by friction.

dsc00430sl.jpg

I went ahead and drilled a 9/64 hole a 1/2 from the end and then fitted the rod, then scribe the notch for the clamp and a little filing, done deal.
The hole and notch prevent the rod from pushing in or pulling out, just like the normal legs. If you skip the hole or channel it out, you could make it ratcheting, but we are only talking about 3 or 4" of play

holew.jpg

The poles are very sturdy, but will flex for more pan, they can handle the weight of a 9lb rifle and it is the perfect height for seated shooting.

dsc00427c.jpg

I looked online for the sitting version of the versa-pod and it goes for over $100, forget that.

dsc00425rw.jpg

The thing I like the most is freeing up my non-dominant hand to support the stock and obtain a better seated position.

A little Krylon and your good-to-go

This mod may be a cheap and easy solution for the prairie or varmint hunter.

Re: $9 Versa-pod sitting bipod mod

Awesome. Necessity is the mother of invention. Great job