• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

90 gr berger .224 load with varget?

2500yards

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Maryland
Looking to save some time finding a good load for the 90 gr berger .224 using varget powder.

Im shooting out of a 26" 1/7.7 Krieger on an AR. single loading.

I made up 5 rounds with 25 grains varget, virgin Lapua Match brass and 3.4 gr cci primers, COAL 2.550 and shot them off just to see what would happen, and they were all over the place. any tips on this bullet would be great. thanks.

Re: 90 gr berger .224 load with varget?

Are you loading for a 223? If so 25g of Varget seems like a pretty hot load for a 90g bullet. The sources I'm looking at say 23.0-23.7g as a MAX load at 52,100-53,500 PSI. And any competent reloader will tell you to never start a load at max, let alone over max. Where are you getting your loading data from? Typically what I've found with the heavier .224 bullets is the hotter/higher velocity the load the tighter the groups, but like I said 25g seems like way to much to me, certainly way to hot as a starting load. That's the max load for a 75g vld that I use in a bolt gun. Did you chrono the loads? or look for pressure signs at all? I'd start around 21.5-22g then work up.

*caveat-This is all assuming your loading for a 223.

I’m dont think a 7.7 will stabilize them adequately.

I have a 7 twist coming and Bryan Lintz's free software that comes with his book shows they may just be stable under the right weather conditions but only marginally, in the 7 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’m dont think a 7.7 will stabilize them adequately.

I have a 7 twist coming and Bryan Lintz's free software that comes with his book shows they may just be stable under the right weather conditions but only marginally, in the 7 twist. </div></div>

Good point, I kinda missed that he is using a 7.7 twist. I've had the 90g Sierra's stabilize out of a 7.5 twist but any load under 2400fps wouldn't shoot worth a damn and wouldn't stabilize. Even the loads that shot half decent still shot fairly worse than the best 75g loads for the gun. I'd say for the most part 7.5 twist is right on the ragged edge of stabilizing them and even then only in certain guns. I have tried the same loads that worked in mine out of a friends gun with the same twist but different brand barrel and no dice.

I would say the 25 gr seemed pretty hot when firing, but I didnt see any signs after firing on the cart/primers.. I couldnt find any good info on this load anywhere. I normally shoot 77 SMK at 23.6 gr which shoot great and avg under 1/2 moa. I am working on a good load for the 77 gr Laupua right now and it is wanting more powder than the SMK, in the 23.9 - 24 gr area before getting consistent groups.

With everything I could find on the 90 gr berger, all I saw was more powder. I just assumed it needed more. I have been hoping to get this to work, but if it doesnt, its not the end of the world. I guess I will try out a load in the 23 gr range and see what happens.

Best tip I can give ya is toss those 90s and get some 80s or 82s...or even the 80.5s. 90s are a collosal waste of time, powder and bbl life. It is possible to get them shooting well, but its not easy, and frankly, not worth the time when its so easy to get the other 80class bullets working great.

Been there, done that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best tip I can give ya is toss those 90s and get some 80s or 82s...or even the 80.5s. 90s are a collosal waste of time, powder and bbl life. It is possible to get them shooting well, but its not easy, and frankly, not worth the time when its so easy to get the other 80class bullets working great.

Been there, done that.</div></div>

I hear ya... I will prob play around with them till I use them up and waste my time and $$ as well.
smile.gif
but, I will definitely try the 80/82's out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With everything I could find on the 90 gr berger, all I saw was more powder. I just <span style="font-weight: bold">assumed</span> it needed more. </div></div>

You know that saying, assuming makes an ass out of you and me. It could also blow up your rifle.

The 7.7 twist is too slow, IMHO. I ran the 90 JLKs when they came out, and used a 6.5 twist barrell. In fact, that was the reccomendation by JLK.

VLDs are picky to begin with and a super heavy 223 VLD will be more so.

That said, I assume the Berger would probably be close to the JLK. I used a bunch of N540 in my load with moly'd JLKs, jammed into the lands.

A buddy that was shooting nekkid JLKs with Varget was around 24-24.5 grs as I remember. You can get away with more powder than, say a 77, because they are not seated as deep in the case.

But as I said, I think the 7.7 twist is too slow, even with the long barrel.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 7.7 twist is too slow, IMHO. </div></div>

I think that may be the case, but I have heard of people shooting 90's in 1/8 twist so I figured I would give it a go.

Before Holliger settled on the 7 twist blanks for his WOP barrels, he did extensive testing with all available bullets and twist combos, even having 6 twist barrels made. He settled on the 7 twist because is shot everything from 52s to 90 SMKs well.

As your 7.7 is a true 7.7, I would not expect it to shoot the 90 Berger in a 223 case. Put it in a 22-250 case and the 7.7 twist would most likely work just fine as velocity is also a factor. The net of the velocity and twist rate is the RPM the bullet is spinning when it leaves the muzzle. Increase either one, velocity or twist, or both, and your bullet would be stable.

I have shot them in a 1/8, 26 inch bbl and they stabilized but the accuracy was about 1.5 MOA, so I gave up with that bbl. Just depends on the bbl. But, like I posted earlier, its so easy to get the 80-82 class bullets hammering and at decent speeds, that I just dont bother messing with the 90s anymore. Shoot, I rarely mess with VLDs anymore cause of the finicky part. Yeah, I lose a little BC, but I will take accuracy and ease of loading over the VLDs little BC advantage any day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3.4 gr cci primers</div></div>

Why weigh the primers? Are you using CCI SR, BR, or magnum SR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3.4 gr cci primers</div></div>

Why weigh the primers? Are you using CCI SR, BR, or magnum SR?</div></div>

The only primers I have are the CCI # 400. As to why I threw that out there.. I dont know if it would matter to anyone or not. I always weigh the primers so I know that everything is the same. wether or not if that will make a difference?? I cant tell, but atleast it rules out the possibility in my head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before Holliger settled on the 7 twist blanks for his WOP barrels, he did extensive testing with all available bullets and twist combos, even having 6 twist barrels made. He settled on the 7 twist because is shot everything from 52s to 90 SMKs well.

As your 7.7 is a true 7.7, I would not expect it to shoot the 90 Berger in a 223 case. Put it in a 22-250 case and the 7.7 twist would most likely work just fine as velocity is also a factor. The net of the velocity and twist rate is the RPM the bullet is spinning when it leaves the muzzle. Increase either one, velocity or twist, or both, and your bullet would be stable.</div></div>

Make perfect sense to me. thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot them in a 1/8, 26 inch bbl and they stabilized but the accuracy was about 1.5 MOA, so I gave up with that bbl. Just depends on the bbl. But, like I posted earlier, its so easy to get the 80-82 class bullets hammering and at decent speeds, that I just dont bother messing with the 90s anymore. Shoot, I rarely mess with VLDs anymore cause of the finicky part. Yeah, I lose a little BC, but I will take accuracy and ease of loading over the VLDs little BC advantage any day.</div></div>

1.5 MOA wont cut it for me either. Im sure my outcome with thie 90 wont be good either. Im feeling good with 77's. I think the 80/82's are the way to go next. I want the highest BC I can get accurately for longer range. thanks for your reply.

Ok so on the .224 road to the best round I tested some 88gr factory load at 500-600yds. (Non-adj gas block and I'm 100% it's in the right position.) The bolt wont cycle firing them. No sticking but doesnt come back far enough to grab the next round out of the mag. WTF over?