• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

93R17 Barrel

Hawkeye2005

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa - USA
Has anybody rebarreled a Savage 93R17? Currently own one that doesn't shoot as well as I would like and am curious if an aftermarket barrel is an option. Any gunsmith's willing to work on it?

Mine came from the factory with a bad barrel. As in, 2-3" groups @ 25yds kinda bad. Tried five different types of ammo, POI shift between 17 + 20gr was unreal, too. Since it was new, Savage was very good about taking it back and replacing barrel. Came back with a proof target that I confirmed shortly after,it'll hold an inch @ 100yds now with new tube.
How old is yours, and did you buy it new?

Rifle is a couple of years old bought brand new, have since purchased an aftermarket stock and bottom metal. I'm getting a lot better groups 2-3" but comparing it to my Ruger 22mag with a Shilen barrel it is a POS. That is why I'm curious if a rebarrel is possible.

Anything is possible, but IIRC all the Savage rimfires (like Marlins) are pressed & pinned barrels.

It could be done, but for the money, you'd be better off just getting a nicer rifle.

JMTCW...

I have two 93r17 that do .5" 5-shot groups all day long at 50 yards. My pencil barrel loves 17gr vmax while the heavy barrel loves 20gr FMJ. The heavy barrel is pillar bedded into a Boyds stock and has the DIP bottom metal and stuff, the pencil barrel is the factory shit tupperware stock.

Something sure isn't right. Have you tried to check the scope rings, mounts and scope for any possible issues?

I used to own a Savage 93R17 with a heavy barrel. In that price range, isn't it more cost effective to just buy a new rifle?