• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $99 Vortex Crossfire Range Report

springerjb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Ephraim, UT
So I ordered one of the $99 Vortex Crossfire scopes hoping it would satisfy me until I could save some cash to buy something better. I figured the guys at Vortex would have to be just plain stupid to put their name on something really bad. I ordered/backordered it Jan 26 from SWFA who has an exclusive for this item. It arrived yesterday and I quickly mounted it on my Rem 700 SPS Tactical (.308) with EGW 20moa base and 1 inch Burris XTR medium rings. I made it out the the range tonight after work. Initial impressions:

1. This thing is big and heavy. It could double as a small club or a wiffle ball bat in a pinch (with sun shade attached of course). It seems solid.
2. The 1/4 moa clicks are pretty good, audible and fairly crisp although occasionally mushy in spots but overall better than I expected.
3. Magnification from 6-12 is good, 12-16 decent, above 16 I found virtually useless.
4. It's made in China, but you knew that already...It's a $99 dollar scope not made of plastic.
5. It seems to be pretty consistent when I do my part (this thing rides high on medium rings...I'm waiting on an Eagle Stock Pack to arrive to hopefully help me resolve my cheek weld issues).

Time will tell if it holds zero but as of today I think that my 99 bucks was well spent.

Pictures below.

Re: $99 Vortex Crossfire Range Report

Thanks. I was looking for info on this scope. I just pointed my buddy over to SWFA to check it out. Is it pretty sweet glass for the money.
Could you check and post your clearance at the front with and without the sunshade. I have roughly the same base and rings ordered, but I like mine a little closer so I may have to go with low bases.
Pic with sunshade would be great too, of course only if you have time/ want to.

thanks

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Thanks for the picture help AZ...I spent some time last night trying to get them in the post and finally gave up and just added the link...

TM I'll work on a sunshade pic soon if I get some time. As for clearance, my measurments made low rings too risky a purchase. A quick eyeball measurment with tape measure shows the clearance to be just under 1/4 inch (I agree it looks like a bigger gap than that in the pics). I hope this helps.

are the tuerrts exposed finger turrets? I could have swore in the pic on SWFA showed them under caps. would i be able to make adjustments in the field in the rain and stuff with these or do you have to keep the caps on to keep it waterproof? I do a lot of varmint hunting in the rain and like to practice my formulas out there so.

I was looking at a mueller APT becuase the turrets or a millett buck gold.

Mtneer to the left of your Photobucket Img there will be a code that says IMG it will look something like
copy and past that.

Hope this helped,

Rhett

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mtneer to the left of your Photobucket Img there will be a code that says IMG it will look something like
copy and past that.

Hope this helped,

Rhett</div></div>

IMG_1689.jpg

And all this time I was trying to copy the HTML code..thanks!!!

My best 5 shot "group" (I use this term lightly as the gun and scope are much better than I am at this point), using junk ammo at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are the tuerrts exposed finger turrets? I could have swore in the pic on SWFA showed them under caps. would i be able to make adjustments in the field in the rain and stuff with these or do you have to keep the caps on to keep it waterproof? I do a lot of varmint hunting in the rain and like to practice my formulas out there so.

I was looking at a mueller APT becuase the turrets or a millett buck gold.</div></div>

They are under aluminum caps. I took them off once I got to the range and put them back on before I put it in the safe (my small safe is bursting at the seams and I figured the caps might help protect the turrets from getting banged into when I'm trying dig around in the safe). Vortex says this scope is "waterproof" so I assume this means with the target/finger turrets exposed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are the tuerrts exposed finger turrets? I could have swore in the pic on SWFA showed them under caps. would i be able to make adjustments in the field in the rain and stuff with these or do you have to keep the caps on to keep it waterproof? I do a lot of varmint hunting in the rain and like to practice my formulas out there so.

I was looking at a mueller APT becuase the turrets or a millett buck gold.</div></div>

They are under aluminum caps. I took them off once I got to the range and put them back on before I put it in the safe (my small safe is bursting at the seams and I figured the caps might help protect the turrets from getting banged into when I'm trying dig around in the safe). Vortex says this scope is "waterproof" so I assume this means with the target/finger turrets exposed.
</div></div>

nice! I might have to give that a try then. I'm just worried shitless about the turrets that are under caps because i feel im taking away the integrity of the scope if they are not on there.

what would you rather get (disregard power)

that vortex or

http://swfa.com/Mueller-45-14x40-All-Purpose-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P44586.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the picture help AZ...I spent some time last night trying to get them in the post and finally gave up and just added the link...

TM I'll work on a sunshade pic soon if I get some time. As for clearance, my measurments made low rings too risky a purchase. A quick eyeball measurment with tape measure shows the clearance to be just under 1/4 inch (I agree it looks like a bigger gap than that in the pics). I hope this helps. </div></div>

Definitely helps. Thanks for the info. It must be in the pictures that make it look like its higher. Its a sweet setup.
Did it really take 6 months to get the scope on back order?

Mr-I went with the Vortex based on their reputation for customer service and quality of their mid-tier/upper-tier products. I feel confident they'll make it right if this thing turns out to be junk (which so far it's far from junk).

TM-Yeah, 6 months...but I think they have another shipment arriving within the next few weeks so the wait for the most recent orders/backorders should be much shorter. Check out the tread in the commercial sales area about this scope. SWFA is pretty good about product updates from what I've seen.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...181#Post1861181

6 months ago the wait was bad. I got mine in about a month and a half.

Mtneer what rings did you use? Nice looking range also. Where is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what would you rather get (disregard power)

that vortex or

http://swfa.com/Mueller-45-14x40-All-Purpose-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P44586.aspx </div></div>

I own a Mueller APT. I wouldn't trust it on a centerfire rifle. I'm barely confident with it on my rimfire since the first one I had would not hold zero. At least Mueller customer service was fair. But the glass is very clear for the money. The reticle is OK, kind of thick, and accurate at 10x, which is wierd to me since it's a 4.5-14x scope. The turrets are annoyingly mushy, and I don't trust the adjustments until I've shot a few.

I have one range trip on my Crossfire and am so far satisfied.

I have to wait to do a tracking test until my 20MOA base and new rings come in. The elevation was almost maxed out on the 40XB after installing it.

It's definitely worth the $90. Now I just want to see about the tracking and how it holds up.

I grabbed two of these and took one to the range today. It was mounted on a Savage Mark II (.22lr). Didn't do a box test but the tracking seemed pretty spot on just in terms of dialing in my zero. The optics are very sharp, but contrast is horrible. The mildot reticle proved accurate at ~14x as marked on the scope, and then at a true 1/2 setting at the minimum power of 6x (I measured carefully at a known 25 yard target).

Mtneer. I am considering this scope after some recommendations, but was interested in why you thought the scope was useless after 16x. I would be interested in using the scope for spotting shots. Do you think it would work for that at 24x?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mtneer. I am considering this scope after some recommendations, but was interested in why you thought the scope was useless after 16x. I would be interested in using the scope for spotting shots. Do you think it would work for that at 24x?</div></div> As TargetTerror mentioned I had some big contrast issues at the higher magnifications. It also tended to tunnel pretty bad at higher magnifications. If you keep this thing in the 10-16x range it's a really good value. If you want higher power, spend more. I plan to save some cash, put this on a .22lr project and move up the optics totum pole at some point. But for now I think this was $99 well spent.

My crossfire is pretty nice for a $100 scope. I used mine for a spotting scope when i was at the range last. I could easily see all of my shots. I didn't shoot at 24x though.

The only time I noticed any fish eye or distortion was on the higher power when I was dry firing at sparrows on the neighbor's houses in the neighborhood behind my girlfriend's. At the very very edge, lines would bend.

It's definitely a low budget beginners scope or .22lr plinking scope. But with a lifetime warranty, it's REALLY hard to beat!

i have used mine on my 300wm (120 rounds) 338 lapua (15 rounds), and its now on my 220 swift (45 rounds). it has been a good scope on all three, had some scpoe issues on the others and the vortex filled in great. for the price it cant be beat!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle!! Sorry to say, the scope just doesn't do it justice..... </div></div>

What specifically is it about the Vortex that does not do his Remington SPS justice?

We've sold a very large number of these scopes with very little complaints or returns. It is the same quality as the rest of the Crossfire line up.

We do have an exclusive deal on this particular scope that allows us to sell them for a whole lot less so you can't go by the $99. price tag.

I had a pretty terrible experience with a Crossfire scope, it wouldn't hold zero and the adjustments would top out / bottom out before the knobs would. It was one of the 30mm tubes, so not the 1" tubes that SWFA was selling for $99 and it may not be the same mechanism or design.

I sent mine back to vortex 2x, and finally swapped it for a viper. The CS was good, scope not so good. The CS manager danced around the explanation but made it clear they were redesigning the knobs end of the year to address the issues, so it appears to be a known problem.

Good luck with yours, keep us posted on how it holds up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle!! Sorry to say, the scope just doesn't do it justice..... </div></div>

What specifically is it about the Vortex that does not do his Remington SPS justice?

We've sold a very large number of these scopes with very little complaints or returns. It is the same quality as the rest of the Crossfire line up.

We do have an exclusive deal on this particular scope that allows us to sell them for a whole lot less so you can't go by the $99. price tag. </div></div> I agree. The SPS is not a $3000 GA Precision rifle. It's a $400-500 rifle. Adding a $100 scope from a company with a great reputation for taking care of their customers over the life of their product is not a bad way to go.

I bought one myself. The reason: to see what the "cheapest" Vortex scope was built like because from my experience, if a "bottom end" product is built well and backed up by the company, then their high end products will be outstanding. Most companies provide a great warranty on their high end products because they know it's made well while the low end stuff has a short dodgy warranty because they know it's shite. Dollar for dollar, you can't beat the Vortex.

The Crossfire will suit my purposes for the time being until I move onto one of the higher end Vortex scopes. Then it will rest atop a plinking rifle or a .22. Vortex scopes are quality. Nuff said.

Quickly - before I offend anybody that owns a 700 SPS. I have NOTHING against remingtons or the 700 SPS. They shoot well and look nice. I just wish the Hogue stock was stiffer so you could free float the thing!

I just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was nocking on the OP's rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quickly - before I offend anybody that owns a 700 SPS. I have NOTHING against remingtons or the 700 SPS. They shoot well and look nice. I just wish the Hogue stock was stiffer so you could free float the thing!

I just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was nocking on the OP's rifle. </div></div>

No worries. It's definately an entry level rifle with entry level glass. I knew that going in and anyone else looking at these products should know that.

You do point out a very fair point about the SPS stock...it sucks. It pisses me off to know that Remington/Hogue chould have spent another $10 bucks per stock to build it right and allow the barrel to free float. Plus the thing is flimsy and does virtually nothing to reduce recoil (probably not an issue with the .223 but with the .308 it would be nice to have a beefer stock...upgrade pending).

The $99 SWFA Crossfire "is what it is". It's a ton better than my Tasco 6-24x Varmint scope that cost me the same.

It's not what I could consider a "tactical" scope. It's a cheap plinking scope. I purchased one for my 40XB because I can't sink $1500 into an NXS for it right now. The Crossfire gets holes in paper where I want them to be.

The Vortex reputation most definitely pushed me that direction instead of buying a a BSA or Tasco again.

I have not been able to perform a vertical tracking test because I just recently replaced the rings and bases with a 20 MOA EGW. This should get me enough elevation back to at least do a decently sized box test. The horizontal tracking was pretty accurate.

Once I get some more time on it I will have a review up on my website.

For stock info put a Remington 5r stock on it and that will do the rifle some justice
laugh.gif

mine shoots .5 and lower with reloads no problem. also i have the same scope and mine cant seem to hold zero if u dial the knobs. if i set the cross hair on a target and try to fine tune it it just doesnt quite get there. but as for it holding zero its ok until knobs get twisted.

Mine won't hold zero on a Rem R25 308. Reported to SWFA and posted a review which did not make it past the moderator. No response from SWFA or the mod. Will try on a 22 and if that fails, sell it.

The Crossfire's that a couple of friends have owned have had issues with the reticle not remaining in place. They start turning after a short period of time. I have heard this same complaint on other forums as well, but with the sheer number of these out there in the market place, it must be a small amount of them that suffer from this issue.

Still it is the most common complaint that I have seen and heard from fellow shooters. At $100.00, it is what it is. I would not put one on a heavy recoiling rifle myself, but I am a Vortex fan regardless.

I bought one when SWFA first started offering them. for $100 they are ok. the adjustments are mushy at best and mine has issues zeroing at 100yds. took it to 600yds for its and mine first time and it seemed to track better, shot a 5.5in group on paper(not great but made me happy for my 1st time) after 3 shots on a clay pigeon on bank below target stands with 3rd shot hitting it. I'm thinking the 100yd zeroing problem could be the fact that I have a 20moa base and its not tracking well being cranked down. I've never had a good scope but slowly trying to step up. my rifle is a sps-v .308 in a b&c a2

How much elevation adjustment is there? Is it synchronized at 14x like the 30mm tube?

Vortex does not show the 1" tube model on its site (SWFA exclusive), and SWFA does not show the info either. Thanks in advance and take care -

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle!! Sorry to say, the scope just doesn't do it justice..... </div></div>

We do have an exclusive deal on this particular scope that allows us to sell them for a whole lot less so you can't go by the $99. price tag. </div></div>

The OP has already said it has issues at the higher powers. (You didn't pick at him for saying this.)
I would guess at the very least that holds things back. OTOH, if he could afford something better he would not have that problem.
It's a fair comment, it was a reasonable comment.
Is the rifle held back by a cheaper scope? For sure! It would be silly to say it was not.
If that's all he can afford and he is able to deal with it there is no problem.
No point anyone pretending the low end scopes are able to do everything as well as something 3x + the price. People buy them based on need and cost. If they are happy to accept the issues you get by doing so then great, at the very least having the OP be honest and address issues is a good thing. So others understand what they are getting and what they are giving up.

I would have thought a 6-12 is likely to be better and since there are issues with higher powers nothing is lost and I likely gained.

LoneWolfUSMC: Please fill in a couple "holes" in your report. What cartridge/load are we talking about in this 40 XB? And at what range?

McKinneyMike How do we KNOW how many are "out there"? If only SWFA is selling them, for about a year now, it wouldn't seem like there could be a great deal of them. SWFA should know almost to the exact number how many are "out there". But without them saying, I'd have to guess that a single retailer who isn't a chain would have a hard time fronting the money for a production run of over 500 scopes. And we're in what, maybe the second or third run? How many different people do you think those posts represent? Let's say 20 (from what I've seen). That would be 1.3 to 4% of the scopes with a problem. That's kinda high. But everyone of my "numbers" (scopes out there, scopes w reticle problem) is a WAG

I kinda think we're killing this scope with lack of details and poor word choices in our posts.

Mtneer What is "tunnels" at the higher powers?

TargetTerror and Mtneer: What is "contrast issues" at the higher powers? Do we really mean "contrast"? You can't tell the dark areas from the light areas in the image?
"Contrast in Television: You can't tell the brightness ratio of the lightest to the darkest part of the television screen image"? (That's a dictionary definition).
Or in other words, If you have a BLACK bullseye on a WHITE background, when you crank up the power, this doesn't show up any more????

I have had this scope for about a year now. I've yet to shoot with it on a rifle. I have taken it often with me to the range. I can say nothing therefore on it's tracking or actual delivered adjustment smoothness, consistency, or range. My purpose in taking it with me to the range was to "calibrate" the adjustable objective for where I found zero parallax at different ranges. Then I'd mark the objective.

Charactoristics that stood out were:
The Printed Distances on the AO are off, my example had "50"yds about mid way between printed 50 and 75. This carries through at longer distances. Fifty feet (for indoor gallery) was right about where I'd estimate 17 yds (between the 15 and 20 yard printed marks) to be at, though. This issue of the printed AO marking not matching what you find isn't unusual on scopes (but then, my leupold 6.5-20 x 40mm 1in tube mid 90's scope is spot on). It' just something that makes you go "humphf" and have to work figuring out.

Depth of Field. This is very short with this scope. This is the distance over with an object you focus on will be in focus. If say, you're looking at your target at 100 yards, you could move that target to 98 or back to 104 and it would still be sharply in focus. With this scope, especially at it's higher poweres, the depth of field is very small. Objects immediately in front or behind are out of focus. [Could this be what is meant by the "contrast" complaints?]

I have no beefs with anybody's observations on this scope. I'm just not sure what you mean in some cases.

Re: "tunneling". This is the normal behavior for any variable power scope regardless of cost. The higher the magnification the smaller the exit pupil. Objective size (in mm) / magnification = exit pupil size (in mm). Did you set up your rings/mount with the scope set to the highest magnification? Eye relief can be tricky to get right if you aren't careful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: artee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mtneer What is "tunnels" at the higher powers?
</div></div>

Best $100 I have spent in a long time.

i have 1 too, def worth $99

I agree with you I bought one from swfa and put it on my fcp-k I did not have a spare scope and wanted to start shooting. If you keep it at 14 power it does great. Best 100.00 I have spent in a while.PS I am saving up for a better vortex.

Thanks for the writeup Mtneer. If you want, please share the experience on the master scope spreadsheet for others as well. (See my sig)

-BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re: "tunneling". This is the normal behavior for any variable power scope regardless of cost. The higher the magnification the smaller the exit pupil. Objective size (in mm) / magnification = exit pupil size (in mm). Did you set up your rings/mount with the scope set to the highest magnification? Eye relief can be tricky to get right if you aren't careful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: artee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mtneer What is "tunnels" at the higher powers?
</div></div> </div></div>

Exactly what I was referencing. Thanks RobW. I have recently adjusted the rings/scope to account for eye relief issues. I have found, after a couple more trips to the range, that <span style="text-decoration: underline">FOR ME </span>this scope works fairly well at 10-12x...your mileage may vary.

As for contrast I was referring to the reticle. It has a tendancy to become "fuzzy" at higher magnification settings. Perhaps I should have referenced a dictionary or my TV users manual before posting. Maybe "sharpness" of reticle or "clarity" of reticle at some magnifications would have been better, I apologize for this oversight.

Oh wait, maybe I should use "blurry" instead of "fuzzy"...or "indistinct" or "unclear"...

So i just picked up one of these scopes and i love the thing. the only problem is that (and im not sure hoe to describe it) is there is about 1/4 MOA of "slop" in the elevation turret. like you can turn it 1/4 and then click.

also I had a rounded out screw for the turret adjustment from the factory. I will be contacting vortex for a new screw.

I do wonder though if i should send the scope back for the sloppy turret? I can live with it its not a big deal just wondering if I'm the only one to have this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So i just picked up one of these scopes and i love the thing. the only problem is that (and im not sure hoe to describe it) is there is about 1/4 MOA of "slop" in the elevation turret. like you can turn it 1/4 and then click.

also I had a rounded out screw for the turret adjustment from the factory. I will be contacting vortex for a new screw.

I do wonder though if i should send the scope back for the sloppy turret? I can live with it its not a big deal just wondering if I'm the only one to have this. </div></div>

Same thing here. I have had this scope for about 3 weeks now and love it for the money but both the turrets need some improving. Can't complain really (and won't) for the price but the tasco it replaced had great turrets, crisp feel and sound with no slop. The Crossfire has some slop right at the zero, 1/4 MOA slop. The glass on the other hand beats the hell out of the tasco. At 100yds I can see .308 hits on 6x. Mine is just as bright at 20 as it is on 6. Slight darkening at 24 where as the tasco showed a noticeable darkening but the crossfire is still clear and crisp. For $99 it can't be beat with all things considered.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So i just picked up one of these scopes and i love the thing. the only problem is that (and im not sure hoe to describe it) is there is about 1/4 MOA of "slop" in the elevation turret. like you can turn it 1/4 and then click.

I do wonder though if i should send the scope back for the sloppy turret? I can live with it its not a big deal just wondering if I'm the only one to have this. </div></div>

Same thing here. I have had this scope for about 3 weeks now and love it for the money but both the turrets need some improving. Can't complain really (and won't) for the price but the tasco it replaced had great turrets, crisp feel and sound with no slop. The Crossfire has some slop right at the zero, 1/4 MOA slop. The glass on the other hand beats the hell out of the tasco. At 100yds I can see .308 hits on 6x. Mine is just as bright at 20 as it is on 6. Slight darkening at 24 where as the tasco showed a noticeable darkening but the crossfire is still clear and crisp. For $99 it can't be beat with all things considered.

Flyingbullseye

</div></div>

Thanks for the fead back. i still think these turrets are the shit. they beat everything i have had a chance to play with other than maybe an ospray

I will definitely be buying a couple more of the $99 vortexs though for my 22 varmint rifle as well as my 30-06

when i get my 308 or 260 built it will be getting a vortex viper 6.5-20

I am very pleased with the quality of the scopes even for the bottom of the barrel crosfires.