• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 9mm for plinking

Bradu

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
IL
I am wanting a new pistol for target shooting and would like to get a 9mm since it's fairly cheap to shoot. What do you guys recommend for under $1200?

Re: 9mm for plinking

Walther P99 AS, G17, G34, XD/XDm, all quality and fairly to occasionally very accurate in my experience. S&W M&P9 is supposed to be real nice too. They're all in the middle of your budget, so you'd have plenty left over for trigger jobs, or any other fine tuning or ammo. There's are allot of solid options, I think you probably need to be more specific about what you want from the pistol.

Beretta 92FS.

Well under your budget. Best 9mm semi I've seen for using cast bullets.

Shooting cast bullets I can shoot my '92 almost as cheap as 22 RFs. Accurate too.

Well there are so many.

Personally, I would get a gen 4 glock and use the extra to put on some really good sights.

But there are some great other options.
Ruger SR9 is nice
Sig 226/229
Springfield 1911 in 9mm
Smith and wesson M&P pro

Since its for plinking, maybe something different. Like a
Sig 210 (higher ths your budget but so much fun)
Hk P7 (hard to find but so unique and huge fun, they get hot fast though)
Baby eagle ( just a fun gun to shoot)
Browning Hi power

That's one heck of a budget for a 9mm, for about half that a Glock, M&P, XD all fit the bill. Try and find a shop that actually has handguns in stock on the shelf and see what feels good in your hand. Some places have ranges and will let you rent to try out, then if you purchase they will deduct the rental cost from your purchase price.

Assuming that budget is for gun only portion- I would go M&P in choice of fullsize, pro, or longslide. Leave as is or get a CORE or have yours milled for an RDS.
Or if "hicap" aint your thing pick up an STI Duty One or Trojan.

I'd go with whatever is most comfortable in your hand. Your budget leaves a lot of options on the table. There are a couple STI's that are under $1200 if you like a 1911. Of course the Glock or M&P would work too. One of my favorites is my CZ75B SA, it fits my hand like a glove.

I have looked at the Springfield 1911 and the Beretta 92fs. I like the 1911 but just thought I would look into something else rather than sticking will all 1911's. The gun shops around me don't have much of selection other than glocks and springfields that's why I figured I would ask. I have heard a lot of good reviews for the S&W M&P along with the Sig 226 so I think once people get some pistols back in stock I might take a road trip to check out the selection at Scheel's

I have a gen4 Glock 23 and love it so much I'm going to get the G26 too for plinking and concealed carry.

I love my glock 34 gen 4 and I got it along with Trijicon HD tritium sights which are amazing for around $750~ new.

The M&P pros are great as well and I strongly considered them although I would have done a trigger job on it before shooting it as the M&P I have played with had one of the worse stock triggers I had ever felt but that is easily fixed with an apex trigger job. The M&P does feel great in the hand though! There are lots of options out there all for well under your 1200 price cap.

with that budget you can get just about anything you want. I'd go check out everything on your mind at a gunshow. Bad time to be buying a firearms though as I doubt there are any deals out there at this time.

If youre LE, Milt, Fire, or Ems
Budspolicesupply is a good way to go.

I have a glock 22 (40cal gen4) and bought a drop in lone wolf threaded 9mm barrel and some G17 mags. The 9mm is accurate , (easily shot a tennis ball sized 100rnd group at 25yrds.) No jams , eats all the ammo I feed it.
Cost break down: (w discount mentioned above) glock-$400 w 3mags-, lonewolf barrel - 100, G17 MAGS $50. So 550 approx. waiting to test suppressed.

9mm ammo is a pain in the rear to find in my neck of the woods. Good luck on that.
S&w also offers discounts. The m&p 9 feels good with the apex kits. Good suggestion there
Good luck to ya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK P30L. Best. Grip. Ever. </div></div>

+10! Or hell, get a 1911 in 9mm! Dan Wesson, Sig, Kimber, Springfield, all can be had in 9mm at that price.

Or a Browning/FN Hi-Power, basically a double stack 1911.

Forget sig, glock, or xdm on your budget. Great guns, but why drive a Civic when you can drive a Benz.....

I'm not worried about finding ammo since I'm reloading. I have 5k primers on the way from a member on the hide, 2500 Berry's bullets and quite a few pounds of powder. I been looking quite a bit and I think I will end up with another 1911 but chambered in 9mm. I just like the feel of them and after reading about the triggers on some of the others I know I won't be happy. I played with a M&P and the trigger sucked and I'm not sure the APex trigger will be enough.

I've never cared for glocks, I found out you either love them or hate them and I don't love them. I tried my brothers SPringfield competition model xdm and it was ok but it's not for me.