• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors 9mm or 45 cal suppressor

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I am picking up my 22 and 30cal suppressors tomorrow. I want to order a suppressor for pistol now. Do I order a 9mm suppressor or a 45cal suppressor. 9mm would be more versatile but that slow 45 230gr bullet is appealing also. What is your opinion and why? krw

check into on your own, but can you get an octane 45, and put on a 9mm end cap?

i just found out you can do this with the saker. i order a 556. i should have ordered the 762. from some of the reports i have read, the 762 saker with a 556 end cap is quieter than a 556 saker.

i have the octane 9. knowing what i know now, i would have bought the 45, and put a 9 end cap on.

oh well...

Both? I have an Octane 9HD as I also use it tucked on a 9mm AR as well as an Osprey 45 with a piston for 40 as well. I shoot them a lot and really like both. Really depends on what you want to do with it I suppose. The 9mm cans are going to be about an inch shorter and a hair lighter on average.

I have a .45 cal and a 9MM suppressor, both are from AWC. When I shoot 9MM through the .45 cal suppressor with 147 grn ammo, not a lot of difference that shooting 9MM through the 9MM suppressor.

.45 can gets my vote. Running 147gr 9mm through my Osprey 45 isn't as quiet as it could be, I suppose, but it's still absolutely hearing safe. In all honesty, even the FRP sounds like a big nail gun (air powered framing nailer). After that, it gets a lot more quiet. I haven't shot it wet, so I imagine that that will be even better.

Back in April I bought a dedicated 9mm can (Octane), and after having second thoughts regarding the number of hosts on which it could be used, switched that order to another .45 can (also Octane). The extra length/weight of the .45 can is a non-issue for me, especially when I consider my use case for a suppressed pistol and the additional calibers that can be run through the larger can (in my case, .40, 10mm, .45).

.45 can would be the way I would go. Make sure you can get 9mm pistons for it. If you search around on some other forums there is DB testing of 9mm through .45 cans. Its not a big difference and the level of versatility you gain with a .45 can makes it a no brainer IMO.

Most of my pistol caliber host are 9mm but I went with the Octane 45 HD for the versatility. I also want to eventually run subsonic .45-70 Govt. :)

I have both, I'd start with the .45 so you can use it on sub calipers but I bet you will eventually buy a 9mm can as well. It's a smaller/lighter can than a .45 so you may want it sooner or later.

Go with the 45 Suppressor if you only plan on buying one suppressor for multiple hosts. I have a Osprey 45 and Octane 45 and run multiple calibers through both. The extra 1.5oz and 1" over the dedicated 9mm suppressor wasn't an issue. Octane 45 would be my first choice as 1st round pop and user serviceable are two great features the Osprey doesn't have.

For the money and wait time the 45 would be a better choice. You can purchase an adapter and shoot 9mm in the 45 can.

Go with the 45 Suppressor if you only plan on buying one suppressor for multiple hosts. I have a Osprey 45 and Octane 45 and run multiple calibers through both. The extra 1.5oz and 1" over the dedicated 9mm suppressor wasn't an issue. Octane 45 would be my first choice as 1st round pop and user serviceable are two great features the Osprey doesn't have.

I have a 45 Osprey and the only thing I dont really care for is the first round pop when shooting dry. I use wiring pulling gel and it is awesome. I am thinking about getting an Octane 45.

Have you tried water or gel in the Octane or does it even need it?

Last edited:
I have a 45 Osprey and the only thing I dont really care for is the first round pop when shooting dry. I use wiring pulling gel and it is awesome. I am thinking about getting an Octane 45.

Have you tried water or gel in the Octane or does it even need it?

The Octane doesn't need it, but just as it does with the Osprey, a little wire pulling gel really makes things interesting.

45 octane would be my choice. I own a tirant 45 and purchased before the octane came out. If I was buying right now, I'd switch to the octane.

One important thing is that being off centered the osprey can be used without raised sights. I bought a threaded barrel and fitted it into my 1911. I was still able to use the regular sights whereas I hat to aim down the can using a Gemtech.
Regarding the first round pop. It supposedly results from a reaction of unburned propellant with the oxygen in the supressor. Kinda like an afterburner in a plane. The oxygen is depleted in subsequent shots. I wonder if it can be removed when you'd flush the can with an inert gas like Nitrogen or Co2. I plan to do this experiment once it gets out of Batf aj

Thanks for all the responces. Am making arrangements to start the process with the Octane 45. Thanks again!

One important thing is that being off centered the osprey can be used without raised sights. I bought a threaded barrel and fitted it into my 1911. I was still able to use the regular sights whereas I hat to aim down the can using a Gemtech.
Regarding the first round pop. It supposedly results from a reaction of unburned propellant with the oxygen in the supressor. Kinda like an afterburner in a plane. The oxygen is depleted in subsequent shots. I wonder if it can be removed when you'd flush the can with an inert gas like Nitrogen or Co2. I plan to do this experiment once it gets out of Batf aj
Thats just not true. Standard sights on pretty much all the tupperware guns do not clear the osprey.

Yes, he is correct on the Osprey in regards to sight height, it comes very close, but they don't clear. That being said, it is easier to use the Osprey with standard height sights and still hold a fairly tight group out at 25. Still, suppressor height sights are nice and even the playing field of Osprey vs other pistol cans from my experience.

After flipping back and forth, Ordered an Octane 9 HD yesterday from Silencer Shop. Have several 9mm host pistols currently, and I don't shoot 45's that much. Maybe sometime next spring I'll get to try it out! Thanks for all the inputs. krw