• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 9mm or 45 can?

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Guys I need some helping deciding what to supress. I have 9 an 45 ammo on hand and want to supress an m&p. I just can't decide which caliber. 9 is cheaper & 147 gr velocities are subsonic where as just about all 230 gr 45 is subsonic and can be bought about anywhere ( when in stock ). 9 has more rounds in the mag where as 45 has more energy and all pluss it's the almighty 45 and all.

The can is probably going to be a swr octane hd by the way.

No question, get a 45 can. 230gr of 45 packs a lot more wallop than 147gr and 147gr 9mm isnt much cheaper than bulk 45.

45... If you don't reload 147 grain 9mm is much more difficult to find in stock than the common 230 grain 45.

A consensus has been reached. And unless you're sold on the octane, as Osprey with interchangeable pistons is pretty nice. Then you can suppress all your pistols.

Get the 45........you will be impressed with how quiet it is on a 45, 40, or 9mm. Put a 9mm can on a 45 and you will be very depressed.

If you want the absolute quietest that can be had, go with the 9mm.

There is nothing impressive about the suppression values of a 9mm through a .45 suppressor when compared with the same 9mm round through an excellent 9mm can.
9mm suppresses quieter than a .45 when both are subsonic and both are sent through a quality can. The rule of thumb is the smaller the bore the higher potential for quiet.
Want the quieter of the two? 9mm all day long.

If you want real quiet, pick a host that allows for the action to be shut down so that the action noise is also eliminated.
You can do this on some hosts "as is" and with some Neilson devices.

Last edited:
Go with the .45, like everyone else said it'll work just as well on a 9mm, only difference being size.

"45 can no doubt, quiter, harder lunch, ammo more available. "

You can "quiter" and have a "harder lunch", but when you return, without her and well fed, the 9mm will be quieter every single time.

"Results

The average unsuppressed sound levels for the 9 mm pistol at military standard recording distance (1 m to the left of the muzzle) was 160.5 dB and 157.7 dB at the ear of the shooter. The average suppressed levels were 127.4 dB and 129.6 dB, respectively (difference of 33.1 dB and 28.1 dB).

The average unsuppressed sound levels for the 45 ACP pistol at military standard recording distance and the shooter’s ear was 162.5 dB. The average suppressed levels were 131.8 dB and 128.5 dB, respectively (difference of 30.7 dB and 33.9 dB, respectively)."

That would be almost half again as quiet, and that is BEFORE subsonics and BEFORE wet cans.

A consensus has been reached. And unless you're sold on the octane, as Osprey with interchangeable pistons is pretty nice. Then you can suppress all your pistols.

The Osprey and Octane 45 HD both use the same pistons.

Like everyone else stated get the 45. I have an Osprey 45 in my possession and just received shipping notification of my Octane 45 to my to my CIII dealer. Osprey is awesome but, I'm SBRing a Ruger 77/357 and needed the magnum rating of the Oct45. I could of went with the Oct9mm but, I like that I can shoot the 45 on sub calibers as well. I can even shoot lead bullets with confidence because of the take down design and stainless internals.