• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 9mm or 45acp suppressor more fun?

Remmy Blaster

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2010
Atlanta, GA
There is plenty of commentary on this topic over the webs and I've probably read it twice..... But what would be your preferred suppressed pistol caliber; 9mm vs 45acp? I understand most all 45 is subsonic but 147gr Speer Lawman looks fairly easy and not prohibitively expensive to buy. For pistol, I'm looking for something hearing safe to shoot like my 22, so I'm already leaning towards the 9mm.

I ask because I've got an AAC Cyclone 7.62 suppressor for my Rem700 on way to my dealer and was thinking I'd file for a centerfire pistol caliber can when I go in to submit the eFile for the Cyclone.

The only suppressor I currently have is the 22 Sparrow and it is good times. I've got a pistol and two 10/22 hosts; all fun.

Thanks SnipersHide!

. 45 almost everything is subsonic which is a +
9mm is better if you want longer range.

(I have an Osprey 45 that works well with either caliber)

I prefer the 45 as well. Puts a BIG smile on my face hearing that 230 gr slug bangin' a piece of steel.

45! its the way to go. way quieter than supersonic 9mm and the 45 has way more punch than any subsonic 9mm you would use. i have the tirant 45 and like it but if i was buying one now i would get the octane 45 because of the ss baffles. if you get the 45 can you will really like it.

.45 for sure and go with the osprey. The versility of being able to switch from 45 to 40 and 9 is what you get for the cost of one stamp. Cannot beat Silencerco's customer service either hands down the best...

.45 for sure and go with the osprey. The versility of being able to switch from 45 to 40 and 9 is what you get for the cost of one stamp. Cannot beat Silencerco's customer service either hands down the best...
Agreed. SWR is owned by Silencerco. So the warranty on the Octane 45 is now the same as the Osprey. The SS click together baffles and user serviceability give you more versatility. (IMVHO.) Both are great cans, and I own both the Octane .45 and the Osprey .45. If I could only have one, the Octane would be it.

I'm actually trying to decide between the osprey and octane cans in .45. I had settled on the osprey due to the very marginal improvement in weight and db level over the octane. I wasn't aware the baffles in the osprey were aluminum though, this could be a definite game changer! Thanks for the info rj!

I'm actually trying to decide between the osprey and octane cans in .45. I had settled on the osprey due to the very marginal improvement in weight and db level over the octane. I wasn't aware the baffles in the osprey were aluminum though, this could be a definite game changer! Thanks for the info rj!

I went with the Osprey but If I could do it over I'd grab an Octane. Osprey is still an awesome can but the Octane can be taken down and has the 3 lug option.

i always shoot my ti-rant 45 wet and it sounds like a paintball gun or quieter. i have showed it to several friends who really dont know a lot about or havent even heard suppressors and they say "seriously?". its that quiet haha. when its dry it doesnt ring my ears but it not as impressive. wet is awesome. and it stays wet for several magazines.

Osprey .45 dry - 1st round DRY gives me a bit of ear ringing, 2nd + are fine. Wet the way to go.

Osprey .45 dry - 1st round DRY gives me a bit of ear ringing, 2nd + are fine. Wet the way to go.

What ammo are you using? I have shot my 1911 and Osprey at an indoor range without any hearing protection. And trust me there were others around that had no problem with the sound level.

IMO the best "bang for the buck" is the Octane 45HD. It's user serviceable so you can shoot 22 rimfire through it if you want. The user serviceable feature was the big seller for me after I cleaned my SS Sparrow for the first time.

What ammo are you using? I have shot my 1911 and Osprey at an indoor range without any hearing protection. And trust me there were others around that had no problem with the sound level.

Blackhills' 230 GDs / Rem 230 Ball / UMC 230 Ball / Rem GS 230

Wet is fine, dry there is a fair amount of FRP

ETA - had the Octane .45 been out - I'd have that only instead of the Osprey and the Octane 9 like I do now.